Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's umpires....

Tonight's umpires....

I can't type in the gamethread, but there's a lot of talk about the horrible umpires.

It's the same group of minor league umps that worked the Mariner's series before this one and and bumped into the Manager before tossing him out,....specifically, Rob Drake.

This crew is actually from the minors and are replacements. They were terrible in the last M's series and are just as bad in this one. Just wait until it's Rob Drake's turn to get behind the plate tomorrow.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tonight's umpires....

Drake's at 2nd Base tonight and Chad Fairchild's at 3B (he ejected EE).

Let me change my mind about Drake being behind the plate tomorrow...I think it's going to be Fairchild.

Drake's been in the Majors before, but the M's announcer said the other night that he had come back up from the Minors.

They suck.... HARD.

RotoHester

This has been pretty hard to watch. It almost seem like they threw EE out because he knew he missed the call and he was embarrassed about it.

Also, I have been on the fence with Dusty Baker, but the fact that he did not get thrown out of the game after that call puts me in the "fire him" camp. This team needs someone to show some life. He needed to not only get tossed but throw the base, throw some bats on the field, chuck the water cooler out onto the field...something. Act like you care. Act like you are tired of these horrible calls and bad baseball. This team seems like it's just going through the motions and the manager now seems to have joined them.

That was a terrible call and an extremely quick ejection. What is wrong with that guy?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

They could improve in calling balls and strikes also.

Instead of going to school, I think these guys took a through the mail correspondence course in umpiring.

:thumbdown

I am not able to watch the game, so I don't know what has happened. BUT -- umpiring bashing is so completely ridiculous. Compared to other professional sports -- namely the NFL -- MLB umpires are REALLY DAMN good. Of course they are going to miss a call from time to time, but they are human. For the most part, though, they get in the best possible position and make the best call they can.

Umpiring is really hard. I can't even imagine what it is like at that level. I WOULD love to see any regular baseball fan try to last one game out there.

Quote Originally Posted by killuminati35 View Post
    I am not able to watch the game, so I don't know what has happened. BUT -- umpiring bashing is so completely ridiculous. Compared to other professional sports -- namely the NFL -- MLB umpires are REALLY DAMN good. Of course they are going to miss a call from time to time, but they are human. For the most part, though, they get in the best possible position and make the best call they can.

Umpiring is really hard. I can't even imagine what it is like at that level. I WOULD love to see any regular baseball fan try to last one game out there.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...1&mode=gameday

Check it out. Its awful.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Except this "team" is a replacement team from the minors with a mix of Major/Minor League umpires. Rob Drake, for example, has been in the Majors parts of a dozen years, but as you can see from tonight's game, these umpires are just plain bad.

I do have a lot of respect for umpires. They are the best officials of all major sports. And no, I know that I couldn't do it.

BUT...
    on the play in question, it appeared to me that he started to call the guy safe before he even made contact with the bag.

Oh well.

you can single handedly thank them for the two run deficit at this point, because Bay K'd before he BB'd, and obviously the play at 3rd. Both runs scored.

i dont think this argument is a good one..its similar to me anyway...like when someone says a player sucks..and someone responds i'd like to see you go out there and play in the pros. thats not a fair comparison...clearly these players are here for a reason...but in terms of them sucking...one should always know its comparison to other professionals.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Some umpires do their jobs very well and then there's this crew tonight most of whom should be fired for incompetence. Anyone who watched this game will tell you how many calls this crew blew and I'm more upset over the crappy umpiring job tonight than the Reds losing the game. The umps helped the Reds out with that tonight. I am not happy. :thumbdown

BTW-I'm not saying that the Reds didn't do their own part in the loss tonight but the umps sure helped them out. They also contributed to the loss IMO.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?