Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dunn removed in close game, Dusty strikes again

Re: Dunn removed in close game, Dusty strikes again

I dont pinch run for him there. I wouldn't ever pinch run for a guy on second in any situation. With less than two outs you can stop him at third if the fielder has the ball before he touches third. If it's two outs the runner will be moving on contact and should score no problem.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    I can't fault Dusty for this one... Sucks that it ended up coming down to Patterson in the end, but it was the right move to make at the time.
    Agree with you on this one.

Didn't Pete Mackanin remove Dunn late in games last year during his stint as manager? I think most people agreed with the move when Mack made it. There was no Patterson on the team last year, but there was no way to know that Patterson was going to be up in that situation two innings later.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I see both sides to the situation but I hav to agree with the thread starter....you dont need a speedy runner on 2nd with no outs. with 2 outs, you do it everytime. I am not saying it was a bad move I am just saying it was bad to put CP in that spot. Sure, Corey can flat out fly but I dont want that guy anywhere near the plate unless its to walk up ther ewithout a bat and hop for a walk.

And I hate to start an argument, that is not my intentions at all with this next comment but I watch about 4 games a day minumum. I usually throw a boston game in as much as possible and i will say without a doubt that Dusty makes more mistakes in a 4 game series than terry does in half a season. I cannot speak as much for Bobby since I only see about 1 game a week of theirs but Bobby dont make many mistakes....I will say this about Cox....if his guy looks as out of place as Votto did on a bunt attemp, that guy would get a chewing as he goes through the dugout. Bobby is a players coach just as Dusty is but Bobby hates his guys not being able to do the fundamentals. I heard a story from one of the reds scouts about Bobby Cox tellling A. Jones to hit the showers after he couldnt lay a bunt down....priceless story and I wish Dusty has a little fire like that.
    My point was not that dusty is as good a manager as francona or cox, he is not. My point was that I could find mistakes that any manager makes in every game that are as petty as the ones that certain posters point out on this board. A manager makes over 100 decisions a game. It is easy to cherry pick a few that didn't work out and b*itch about them.
    My brother lives in boston, so I watch nearly every red sox game I can, and I will just have to repectively disagree with you. Francona makes plenty of ffrustrating decisions. Just go to Sonosamhorn.com and read what they say. They rip into every decision Francona makes just like people on this board do with dusty. Like I siad, it is really easy to do with any manager. That is my point.

Baseball is the ultimate second-guessing sport. If you don't like a manager, you can find a flaw in pretty much any decision made. If you like a manager, you can find justification for any move he makes. That's the nature of the game.

Turn Off Ads?