Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffey turning it around?

Griffey turning it around?

I know it's a small sample size but Griff has looked real good the last 2 nights. His pitch selection looks a lot better and he is actually having solid at bats. Even though he missed the ball he dove for tonight I'm glad to see him out there trying to make a play on that ball instead of letting it drop as he has before. His speed also looked decent tonight on that double he hit. Hopefully he will be going on a tear soon.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey turning it around?

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick View Post
    I know it's a small sample size but Griff has looked real good the last 2 nights. His pitch selection looks a lot better and he is actually having solid at bats. Even though he missed the ball he dove for tonight I'm glad to see him out there trying to make a play on that ball instead of letting it drop as he has before. His speed also looked decent tonight on that double he hit. Hopefully he will be going on a tear soon.
    Though I'm hopeful we're seeing a trend, I'm more inclined to think he's just been the beneficiary of some poor scouting or questionable pitching. The last few nights he's been seeing a lot of offspeed stuff, and he's good enough to adjust to that. It's the fastball that gets into the 90's that's been giving him problems this year due to his deteriorated bat speed.

Griffey still knows what he's doing up there. He's not one of the game's best hitters of all-time for nothing, so it goes without saying he'll have moments of greatness even now. But unfortunately where his mind is that of a Hall-of-Famer, his body is that of an aging individual better than marginal or replacement-level, but no longer elite.

Make no mistake about it: Griffey is, was and will be my favorite player. And I want nothing more than for Griffey to turn on the jets the second half of the season (in a Reds uniform or for someone else) and ride out to the sunset on a high note - especially to see him get a ring. But unfortunately I'm not sure he can sustain this.

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick View Post

Now is a good time to trade him?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

is it just me or have they been doing a lot of Griffey tribute stuff during the tv broadcasts? last night they replayed memorable homeruns...i know they're giving away the KGJ mesh jerseys this weekend and i'm probably reading too much into this, but it feels like they are getting their farewell in while they can.

he at least will be with the team until july 15th..

No he is not turning it around.

His lack of speed cost the Reds the game last night. His feeble diving attempt at a ball that would have been caught by an average RF standing up.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post

His lack of speed cost the Reds the game last night. His feeble diving attempt at a ball that would have been caught by an average RF standing up.
    And an "average" fielder would have caught it behind his back with his eyes closed, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post

His supposed lack of speed isn't going to make that much of a difference. I personally think he should have laid up and let it fall. However, I wasn't out there in RF last night, one of the best to play the game was.. I'll trust his judgment. As the replay showed he almost had it too. Griffey was & is a great player and I hardly think he would lower the level of play in the Reds outfield (offensive and defensive) especially with Patterson still on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Root Down View Post
    His supposed lack of speed isn't going to make that much of a difference. I personally think he should have laid up and let it fall. However, I wasn't out there in RF last night, one of the best to play the game was.. I'll trust his judgment. As the replay showed he almost had it too. Griffey was & is a great player and I hardly think he would lower the level of play in the Reds outfield (offensive and defensive) especially with Patterson still on the team.

I can also just about gauruntee he was sitting out in the outfield before the ball was hit with his hands on his knees.

Dont call BUll**** either ive sat and watched him do it game in and game out.

Dont you think one of the best in the game would have a better ready stance than hands on his knees? Were talking throughout the entire pitch.

Ever heard of creeping.? If you havent need not reply.

I agree that it was quite a pathetic attempt last night, should've just kept it in front. He's lucky the All-Star game is a popularity contest because he wouldn't be sniffing it otherwise.

all personal opinion, I was personally glad he tried to make that catch, at least he showed a sign of life attempting to, and Weathers certainly felt that way too-commented on great to see him trying for that, what a pitcher wants to see, his defense trying to make the play to save them. He probbaly should have held up, but I have been in that spot too, and when you think ya got it, ya move on it sometimes. With this crowd though, if he hadnt dove, you same people would be whining he doesnt give neough effort, lollygaged up to it, blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    all personal opinion, I was personally glad he tried to make that catch, at least he showed a sign of life attempting to, and Weathers certainly felt that way too-commented on great to see him trying for that, what a pitcher wants to see, his defense trying to make the play to save them. He probbaly should have held up, but I have been in that spot too, and when you think ya got it, ya move on it sometimes. With this crowd though, if he hadnt dove, you same people would be whining he doesnt give neough effort, lollygaged up to it, blah blah blah.
    My point was not personal opinion thank you.

How about actually going to a game and watching him in the outfield. He walks to his position every inning.

And he also sits with his hands on his knees nearly every pitch.

Thats a fact sir.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post

And he also sits with his hands on his knees nearly every pitch.

Thats a fact sir.
    He sits down in the outfield, WOW. You would have thought they would show that on ESPN or something

walking to the outfield shows he can't play anymore.. if thats the case todd coffey was a hall of famer.... Nice logic..

BGWillys HOF:

Todd Coffey...

dont need to look at the rest to know this HOF is bogus..

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    I can also just about gauruntee he was sitting out in the outfield before the ball was hit with his hands on his knees.

Dont call BUll**** either ive sat and watched him do it game in and game out.

Dont you think one of the best in the game would have a better ready stance than hands on his knees? Were talking throughout the entire pitch.

Ever heard of creeping.? If you havent need not reply.
    Yeah I've heard of creeping, done it a bit myself as I played CF through high school. If that's true about his hands on his knees, then yeah he needs to be a bit more on the ball. However, I've never seen it and they certainly don't show it on FSN. I would think Welsh would pick up on that and tear him up about it.

Turn Off Ads?