Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennis wins at Wimbledon

Tennis wins at Wimbledon

After almost 5 hours Rafael Nadel walked off the courts at the All England Club clutching the winners' trophy. But there were no lossers today. Roger Federer clawed back from down two sets to love and fought off 4 championship points in a remarkable dispaly of courage, determination and coolness under pressure only to fall victim to Nadal's unending determination and unwillingness to see his dream snatched from his grasp.

In the end it was probably the greatest match ever played on the most famous court in the world's most prestigious tournement with the ultimate winner being the game of tennis itself.

If you saw any of the fight, the determination, the skill and the willingnesss to never give up by either man then you have to acknowledge what a great event this was and what a great sport tennis is.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Tennis wins at Wimbledon

I got home at about 1pm right when it started to come back from delay and watched every minute of it after.

That was an epic battle between those two guys. Definitely the best match I've seen. Every game, the one had an answer for the other up until the end of that final set. Very very entertaining stuff today.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    After almost 5 hours Rafael Nadel walked off the courts at the All England Club clutching the winners' trophy. But there were no lossers today. Roger Federer clawed back from down two sets to love and fought off 4 championship points in a remarkable dispaly of courage, determination and coolness under pressure only to fall victim to Nadal's unending determination and unwillingness to see his dream snatched from his grasp.

In the end it was probably the greatest match ever played on the most famous court in the world's most prestigious tournement with the ultimate winner being the game of tennis itself.

If you saw any of the fight, the determination, the skill and the willingnesss to never give up by either man then you have to acknowledge what a great event this was and what a great sport tennis is.

Rem
    I watched every minute, I had the Reds on mlb.tv and the match on the TV. Needless to say I missed quite a bit of the Reds game because I was glued to the tennis match. It was fantastic, I wanted Roger to pull it out but in the end I didn't care. I just wanted it to continue.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I watched. Good stuff. But hardly the "greatest final ever".
    The best I've seen was the Borg-McEnroe in 1980. The fourth set tie break went to 18-16 or something like that.

But those years were all really good. The Borg-Connors in 1977 was up there, as was the the Connors-McEnroe in 1982.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    ...but in the end I didn't care. I just wanted it to continue.
    That's exactly the way I felt too.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I watched. Good stuff. But hardly the "greatest final ever".
    The best I've seen was the Borg-McEnroe in 1980. The fourth set tie break went to 18-16 or something like that.
    I saw that match too and you are correct---it was also fantastic! They didn't play tie-breakers at Wimbledon in those days---I can't decide if that was more dramatic than the 'sudden-death' of a tie-breaker. I certainly agree that, in the fifth set, at a grand-slam tourney, they should have to play it out.

Borg is my all-time favorite player and I hated McEnroe because of all of his antics. It was the perfect 'good-guy vs.bad-guy'. With Raffa and Roger they are both likeable, modest guys that say nice things about their opponents so, in some ways it takes away from the classic 'good vs. evil' battle. Even so, as both RS and I said above, we just didn't want it to end.

BTW, some guy doing comentary after the match (I think his name was J. McEnroe) said it was the greatest final he had ever seen.

Rem

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

BTW, some guy doing comentary after the match (I think his name was J. McEnroe) said it was the greatest final he had ever seen.

Rem
    Rare modesty from Mr. McEnroe.
    Wonder if one can "see" a game if you're playing it. Or maybe a match isn't so great if you lose.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Rare modesty from Mr. McEnroe.
    Wonder if one can "see" a game if you're playing it.
    I like that question and, as most of us know, when you are within the game (whatever it is you are playing) you are often (usually?, always?) so focused on 'the zone' that you rarely are aware of what is going on around you.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 07-06-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Watched the whole match today, as well as most of the tournament.

I like both Nadal and Federer because their styles are so unique and opposite, but they play with the same determination. I was rooting for Nadal to win the match from the start, but I just wanted to see them battle it out like they've done in the past.

Great win for Nadal!

I just saw a little bit of the 5th set and the last part of the last game and I could tell from the score it was an all time classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    Watched the whole match today, as well as most of the tournament.

I like both Nadal and Federer because their styles are so unique and opposite, but they play with the same determination. I was rooting for Nadal to win the match from the start, but I just wanted to see them battle it out like they've done in the past.

Great win for Nadal!
    Yep! Almost makes me wish that the US Open was next week so we could watch them do it all over again.

Rem

Yep! Almost makes me wish that the US Open was next week so we could watch them do it all over again.

Rem
    I wanted to get tickets to the upcoming tourney in Cincinnati (womens and mens), but I figured some of the more notable players wouldn't be going due to the fact that the Olympics will be coming up soon. I'm still debating. Seeing the Williams sisters back in the finals was nice, but I'd love to see Safina and Jankovic reach the finals once because I know they can put together a nice run, but Jankovic usually comes up short. I wish more people I knew enjoyed tennis as much as me so I'd be able to play it more often.

I saw most of it. It was fantastic in every way.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Sorry, double post.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 07-07-2008 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    I wanted to get tickets to the upcoming tourney in Cincinnati (womens and mens), but I figured some of the more notable players wouldn't be going due to the fact that the Olympics will be coming up soon. I'm still debating. Seeing the Williams sisters back in the finals was nice, but I'd love to see Safina and Jankovic reach the finals once because I know they can put together a nice run, but Jankovic usually comes up short. I wish more people I knew enjoyed tennis as much as me so I'd be able to play it more often.
    The Cincinnati tourney is one of the Masters Series for men so it's likely that you will see many of the top players there. The Masters Series is only one step below the four Grand Slams.

I'm not sure how the women's tourney figures into this because it was previously a level three tourney. Add into that the fact that the Olympics has thrown the normal summer schedule off and I'm not quite sure how all that falls.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?