Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted...

Re: Opinions wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I think you should only have to pay 1/3.

What I think would be fun to do, if you could manage it, is to try to get a room for yourself and leave him to pay for an entire room. I wonder if he would argue with the hotel that he should pay for only half a room since only one bed will be used.
    Oooo... that is so cruel! I LIKE IT!
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Eh. I'd pay the half. Friendship ain't worth a $20 squabble BUT I'd review how my friend looks at the idea of fair. If he's really broke and this trip is a squeeze for him I'd pay half and be glad to help him out. If it's pretty equal money situations then I'd tell him I'll pay half but I think you're taking advantage. Then I'd point out if you go to dinner you're NOT splitting the tab down the middle. Of course, if she's not a serious girlfriend then you might mention any of the more salacious suggestions given - or offer to videotape the proceedings and sell the tape to "Real Girlfriends Exposed" or some such website. Then you could all go for free basically :.

Sounds like he is bringing her along, so that would be his responsibility to pay her part. I think the real issue is the fact that he invited her and will have to pay for her portion of the room & doesn't want to ask her to pay.

I think it really depends on how good of a friend he is. Honestly though, I think "friends" like these constantly make questionable decisions. If this isn't the first time he has done something stupid, he isn't worth your time.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

This should be under things that drive you crazy as well.

It should be divided into thirds. You aren't paying for beds, you are paying for a room. That includes the bathroom, roof, microwave, refrigerator, and all other services.

To diminish it to beds is pretty crappy.

I had a relative who used to come out to eat with me and bring his wife and when it came time to tally up the bill, he said "We'll just divide this in two since we're a couple and you're here."

Gee, thanks.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    So I mention that with the hotel room being $110 a night that splitting it three ways will not be that bad. He quickly replies that since I will have one of the beds to myself, that we should only split it two ways, not three, and basically says that this point shouldn't even be up for debate.
    Given only this info, its too gray too call.

But if I had to answer I'd say you are paying for beds, otherwise you'd have booked a room with a single bed (cheaper). So in essence, you are paying for the 2 beds. From his perspective he is paying for one of the beds, and you are paying for one of the beds.

If I was in the situation I'd just invite someone along myself and call it a day. Not sure your age/situation, but I'd suspect one of your buddies, neighbors, kids, wife, girl friend, Dad, or someone would come along for the ride.

This is what I'd do at 38 ... at 22 or so I'd have told him to get bent.

GL

I'll tell them to get a marriage license.

I'd pick up the tab on your own room. Worth the hassle.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

It should be split 3 ways.

Quite frankly, if he wants to bring his girlfriend they should have their own room. I don't care what they do in it, but they are putting you in an uncomfortable situation.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Why don't you, your "friend" and his girl rent a hotel room that just has one king sized bed?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This is an easy one and you have gotten some clever responses but in all seriousness spell it out this way:

So the way your friend sees it she should stay in the room for free. In other words if it was just you and your friend, you'd still be out for 50%. If he brings her, he thinks you should still pay the same amount? Spell it out for him that way and see if it still makes sense.

Now that your friend brings his babe, resulting in a much different situation, he doesn't expect to cut you a break in the cost of the room. It's a huge loss of privacy for you. I don't think it's appropriate for him to bring her at all. It should be a guy's weekend but that's another story. The dynamics of the weekend are totally different if he's bringing her and you deserve significant compensation for putting up with the hassle.

Now that your friend brings his babe, resulting in a much different situation, he doesn't expect to cut you a break in the cost of the room. It's a huge loss of privacy for you. I don't think it's appropriate for him to bring her at all. It should be a guy's weekend but that's another story. The dynamics of the weekend are totally different if he's bringing her and you deserve significant compensation for putting up with the hassle.
    That's another good point in those whole situation. Loss of privacy and convenience...and am speaking mostly of the bathroom situation. It's bad enough having to share with another person - but three people and one the other gender? Ugh!
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Make your friend and his girlfriend use the bathroom together.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I live in VA Beach and if you're only paying 110$ a night you'd be better off sleeping in the car and letting your friend foot the whole bill. But either way is it really worth an additional 20 bucks or so?
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

People can get weird when it comes to money, unfortunately. I wouldn't end your friendship over it but I'd acknowledge that you shouldn't involve him in anymore future joint ventures. Go ahead and pay the extra 20 dollars for the room but be sure to ask for a separate tab when eating out and don't fall for the "Hey dude, can you buy me this? I'll pay you back at the hotel" line or any similar deals. If he's a good friend, he'll notice why you are doing this and correct his approach. But if he gets offended that is a sign that he is upset because he can no longer manipulate you. If the latter occurs, I'd cut him out of more than just money relations.

If you bring it up again with him, I'd suggest splitting the difference.

If 3 adults are renting a 2 bedroom house or apartment, the occupant who has a private room should probably pay more then a third, less than half of the rent. (All other expenses, of course, should be split 3 ways.)

Tell him you are giving up privacy/space, since you're sharing a room with 2 others rather than 1. Ask him to pay half plus $50 or something like that.

Of course, it's not worth risking a friendship. And if she's not contributing, it could be a hardship on him finacially, so consider that before bringing it up again.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You could always shame him into paying by bringing up the issue with him in front of his girlfriend. Nothing makes a guy look good like trying to worm his way out of paying $20 to a friend.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?