Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say what you want Bob Castellini, but he's not cheap

Say what you want Bob Castellini, but he's not cheap

Since Bob Castellini has taken over he's proven time and again that he isn't cheap. Some of examples include eating the contracts of guys like Rheal Cormier, Juan Castro, and Mike Stanton. He forked out a ton of cash to sign Francisco Cordero. But it's what he's did recently that has me very impressed and truly convinced that he's in it to win and not just for the money like the previous ownership. His commitment to throwing tons of cash into the draft and specifically Latin America is what has impressed me. Back in March the Reds signed a 16-year old outfielder by the name of Juan Duran for $2 million dollars. There is also a strong rumor that the Reds have reach an oral agreement with another 16-year old Dominican outfielder by the name of Yorman Rodriguez for an another $2 or $3 million dollars. In addition to that the Reds have spent 1-2 million on lesser Latin players. Now the biggie. Last night it was reported the Reds offered $5 million dollars and a major league contract to a 16-year old Dominican pitcher named Michel Inoa. This kid is considered a once-in-a-decade type pitcher (he's 6'7" at age 16 and throws 94 mph) and the Reds came very close to grabbing him as he signed with the Oakland A's for 4.25 million dollars, less money but he liked the A's track record of developing young pitcher. Can't blame him there. Though they didn't get him, I just thought it was so un Reds like to offer that much money to an unproven 16-year old kid. Had he signed with the Reds that money figure would have been a record for a non-Cuban prospect.

This shows me Bob Castellini wants to win. He may be a bit trigger happy but the guy is in it to win, and not to just make money.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Say what you want Bob Castellini, but he's not cheap

This shows me Bob Castellini wants to win. He may be a bit trigger happy but the guy is in it to win, and not to just make money.
    CC in 09 or bust.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    CC in 09 or bust.
    I'd rather have Tex.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'd rather have Tex.
    Me too but if they sign Alonso then they won't have room for Votto, Alonso, and Tex.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Me too but if they sign Alonso then they won't have room for Votto, Alonso, and Tex.
    If Javy and his bat can play in the infield, so can all three of those guys!

All dyslexics must untie!

Bob C, memo to himself..."my manager and pitching coach aren't nearly as good as Tony and Dave"
    Never overlook the obvious

Time tables might work out where each could be with the Reds, eventually one or all will have to move on, hopefully we have the GM now that can move them in, move them up, and when it is time, move them on to keep the team in the talent needed per season.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Since Bob Castellini has taken over he's proven time and again that he isn't cheap. Some of examples include eating the contracts of guys like Rheal Cormier, Juan Castro, and Mike Stanton. He forked out a ton of cash to sign Francisco Cordero. But it's what he's did recently that has me very impressed and truly convinced that he's in it to win and not just for the money like the previous ownership. His commitment to throwing tons of cash into the draft and specifically Latin America is what has impressed me. Back in March the Reds signed a 16-year old outfielder by the name of Juan Duran for $2 million dollars. There is also a strong rumor that the Reds have reach an oral agreement with another 16-year old Dominican outfielder by the name of Yorman Rodriguez for an another $2 or $3 million dollars. In addition to that the Reds have spent 1-2 million on lesser Latin players. Now the biggie. Last night it was reported the Reds offered $5 million dollars and a major league contract to a 16-year old Dominican pitcher named Michel Inoa. This kid is considered a once-in-a-decade type pitcher (he's 6'7" at age 16 and throws 94 mph) and the Reds came very close to grabbing him as he signed with the Oakland A's for 4.25 million dollars, less money but he liked the A's track record of developing young pitcher. Can't blame him there. Though they didn't get him, I just thought it was so un Reds like to offer that much money to an unproven 16-year old kid. Had he signed with the Reds that money figure would have been a record for a non-Cuban prospect.

Those dollars are being spent on high risk too at their ages. Of course he knows baseball is a high risk proposition with player resources.

After thought, OBM are you sure that Castellini wouldn't be better off investing those in college level/age players that show they have the talent?

Tex came up as a third baseman and played there at Georgia Tech. It was only with Texas he went to 1B because of Blalock.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Tex came up as a third baseman and played there at Georgia Tech. It was only with Texas he went to 1B because of Blalock.
    I would bet you that Jocketty isn't afraid to go after Tex, of course the talent vacuums of the east and west coast will probably suck him up, the vultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Those dollars are being spent on high risk too at their ages. Of course he knows baseball is a high risk proposition with player resources.

After thought, OBM are you sure that Castellini wouldn't be better off investing those in college level/age players that show they have the talent?
    He's investing money in both college players and International players. You only get a shot or two at huge college talent, whereas in the International signing period you can land as many top Latin studs as long as you have the money. If you don't spend money on Latin players then you're going to have a harder time competing because most teams are tapping into Latin America now.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He's investing money in both college players and International players. You only get a shot or two at huge college talent, whereas in the International signing period you can land as many top Latin studs as long as you have the money. If you don't spend money on Latin players then you're going to have a harder time competing because most teams are tapping into Latin America now.
    Ok, I hadn't thought that through on the college players.

Yep. Cast has been accused of being a big crybaby and irrationally screaming "Win now", but in reality, he's putting his money where his mouth is, both on the major league team and the minors.

Signing any of those Latin kids in the previous regimes would be unthinkable.. Remember, how the Reds were the first to find former Marlin's 3b Cabera but were too cheap to give him a modest signing fee (low 6 figures).. Now the Reds are throwing money at the prime Latin talent. It is also a nice feeling that the Reds are now truly drafting who they feel is the best player available, as opposed to grabbing signablity picks and wasting picks.

I think the future is bright under Cast's leadership. Eventually, the right people will be put in place at all levels (Walt may or may not be the right GM, for example).
    Hopefully, eventually we will get a reputation like the A's and prospects will want to sign with us.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Not a problem, one can always be traded for another need.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

You can win spending a moderate amount of money and a lot of good decisions. It's much harder to win spending a lot of money and a making a moderate amount of good decisions.

It's sort of like hustle and talent. No amount of money can make up for poor decision making. Money has never been the root of this organization's inability to compete.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-03-2008 at 02:08 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?