Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Josh Roenicke originally had gridiron dreams

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Josh Roenicke originally had gridiron dreams

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I don't know that he needs to master a second pitch, but I think he at least good command of it. We're talking about a guy who has at least one dominant pitch, and he will be throwing only one inning at a time.

Does anyone else here think Jim Bowden would already be trying to stretch Roenicke into a starting pitcher? Sometimes I laugh at thinking about the 'what if' Bowden scenarios.

Anyway, as I mentioned in another thread, it's pretty nice to imagine a bullpen of Josh Roenicke, Zach Stewart, Sean Watson, Bill Bray, Jared Burton, Danny Herrera, etc.
    Watson needs to step it up before I get excited about him. A second-round pick out of college should be at least in AAA by now and knocking on the door of the Bigs. Watson is basically a mediocre AA pitcher right now. But the Reds did him no favors by bouncing him around between being a starter and reliever.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Watson needs to step it up before I get excited about him. A second-round pick out of college should be at least in AAA by now and knocking on the door of the Bigs. Watson is basically a mediocre AA pitcher right now. But the Reds did him no favors by bouncing him around between being a starter and reliever.
    I'm not ready to bank on Watson being an effective reliever just yet, but before 2008, he was pretty exciting. This year, he's been pushed into the closer role. As a result, I think he's throwing harder and losing control. Prior to this year, his control was exceptional, so when it comes back, I think he could be a nasty reliever.

Btw, today is Josh's birthday. Happy Birthday!

I'd like to see his birthday present be a callup to Cincinnati. He's now got a 1.98 ERA and 5 BB/28 K ratio in 27.1 innings with Louisville and overall he has a 2.55 ERA and 17 BB/56 K ratio in 49.1 innings.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'd like to see his birthday present be a callup to Cincinnati. He's now got a 1.98 ERA and 5 BB/28 K ratio in 27.1 innings with Louisville and overall he has a 2.55 ERA and 17 BB/56 K ratio in 49.1 innings.
    I think he'll be called up in September and I don't think it's a bad thing at all that it's taken a little bit longer.

I agree. Given that Josh is still also relatively new to pitching I am glad the reds have been pretty deliberate with his time table. No need to have him turn into Ryan wagner part duex.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I saw this guy pitch in Charlotte the ohter day, he had electric stuff. He's been labeled as the Reds' closer of the future.. I can definately see it .. looking for a sepetember call up and possibly making the club out of ST next year.

Turn Off Ads?