Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Reds vs Pirates 7/2/08

Re: Reds vs Pirates 7/2/08

Bako grounds out to short. Valentin goes to 3rd. 2 outs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hairston swings at ball 4 and strikes out swinging. Reds lose 9-5.

For a Level Playing Field

Once again the mighty REDS can only score via the long ball. Surprise.

3 home runs
    2 doubles
    2 singles

Sad part of this whole mess is this. The Reds scored 5 runs on only 7 hits. 7! This is the same nearly every night. The Reds cannot hit. Period. Scoring 5 runs should be enough to win most games, but the pitching staff continues to regress. Our rookie starter, the darling of everyone after a 5 inning stint in Yankee Stadium, only went 4.1 innings allowing 8 hits and 7 earned runs. The bullpen pitched 4.2 innings allowing 5 hits and 2 earned runs (3.91 ERA). For all of the improvement, we let the Pirates score 9 runs while we flail away and get 7 hits, but with reliable pitching we would have won.

In the series, the Pittsburgh pitching staff, you know the one with the 5.00 ERA held us to 4.7 runs per game and 9 hits per game (take out game 2 and that average was 7.5). Our starters pitched 16+ innings and gave up 22 hits.

PD asked tonight "How many times have you seen this game before?" The answer is every other time they play. Send Thompson back down, use either Fogg or Belisle? Who knows?

I understand Castellini had a closed meeting with Dusty after the game. Dusty better beware. What Castellini does not understand is it's the players on this team. Seriously.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

the difference tonight was that Pittsburgh went to their pen much earlier(they carry 8 relievers). The Reds would have scored a lot more than 5 if Russell hadn't pulled his starter in the 3rd. Reds really ought to consider carrying an extra reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Phillips takes the ground ball and takes it all the way to 1st as Keppinger is out of position to get back to the base.
    The real problem on that play was that Majewski didn't break off the mound to cover 1B.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Thompson has only had 1 bad game....why are you so quick to get down on this guy? Forget Fogg and Belisle.....I already know what they cannot do.

You want younger better players...you better have some degree of patience.
    After reading that you think Volquez's star is fading after 2 starts....and Burton after 1 bad game in a long while.....I am wondering if anyone has the patience around here.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the difference tonight was that Pittsburgh went to their pen much earlier(they carry 8 relievers). The Reds would have scored a lot more than 5 if Russell hadn't pulled his starter in the 3rd. Reds really ought to consider carrying an extra reliever.
    I just checked their roster, and the Pirates were only carrying 7 relievers tonight. (Denny Bautista, T.J. Beam, Romulo Sanchez, and Tyler Yates from the right side, and Sean Burnett, John Grabow, and Damaso Marte from the left.) Matt Capps went on the DL before the game, and they called up OF Steve Pearce to take his place.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Thompson has only had 1 bad game....why are you so quick to get down on this guy? Forget Fogg and Belisle.....I already know what they cannot do.

You want younger better players...you better have some degree of patience.
    After reading that you think Volquez's star is fading after 2 starts....and Burton after 1 bad game in a long while.....I am wondering if anyone has the patience around here.
    Two bad games. He allowed 8 hits in five innings (and four runs) in his last start. Eric Miltonesque. But, no matter. I want the kid to be good and I want him to develop. I have a lot more confidence in the people in Louisville than Dick Pole. Sorry, but it's true. I'll hold judgment on Edinson until his next start (but I think he'll be OK). The star comment was the media's impression of him, not mine. Burton? Nah. He will be up and down as most relievers are.

Patience? Not really. Just good common sense. Thompson and Homer should have never been called up, just like Pittsburgh's kid tonight. No need to rush these kids to the bigs. It's not as if either club is going anywhere (as you said).
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The ominous Castellini visit

I recall Narron getting one of those visits and a public vote of confidence followed afterward by Castellini and then...........!! Then came the, "we need a different voice" speech by Bob and his former puppet Krivsky.

Time to CYA Dusty, grab Corey, Junior and Pole, and yell, "they did it Bob"

Then again, maybe Castellini was checking to see if Dusty's son was interested in a consulting role with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Then again, maybe Castellini was checking to see if Dusty's son was interested in a consulting role with the Reds.
    Nothing would surprise me at this point.

My prediction? Dusty is history.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Nothing would surprise me at this point.

My prediction? Dusty is history.
    Dusty is a survivor, I do think another will be leaving though. Castellini has a profile of it now in his short tenure as the majority owner, he might actually get madder than many of us privately do, himself.

I think that Bob Castellini needs to keep a lid on his reactive demeanor and allow his people to work through all of this, while he provides leadership and support.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-03-2008 at 01:30 AM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Interesting about Dusty getting a visit....not sure what it means, at this point, but it's attention worthy...

Turn Off Ads?