Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jackets Trade Zherdev and Fritsche

Blue Jackets Trade Zherdev and Fritsche

Jackets Acquire Defensemen Tyutin, Backman Club acquires pair of defensemen from NY Rangers for forwards Nikolai Zherdev and Dan Fritsche Jul 2, 2008, 5:24 PM EDT COLUMBUS, OHIO – The Columbus Blue Jackets have acquired defensemen Fedor Tyutin and Christian Backman from the New York Rangers in exchange for forwards Nikolai Zherdev and Dan Fritsche, club General Manager Scott Howson announced Wednesday.

Tyutin, who will turn 25 on July 19, has registered 15 goals and 51 assists for 66 points and 159 penalty minutes in 250 career NHL games with the Rangers. Backman, 28, has tallied 21-51-72 and 150 penalty minutes in 246 career NHL games with the Rangers and St. Louis Blues.

"The addition of Fedor and Christian to our lineup has really improved our puck moving ability from the blueline," said Howson. "All strong teams are built from the backend out and we feel like we made significant strides in that area today."

A 6-foot-3, 210-pound native of Izhevsk, Russia, Tyutin was the Rangers' second pick, 40th overall, in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. He played one season of junior hockey with the Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League and two in the Russian Elite League before splitting the 2003-04 season between New York and its American Hockey League affiliate in Hartford. After spending the 2004-05 campaign with Hartford and St. Petersburg (Russia), he played his first full season in the NHL in 2006-07 and notched 2-12-14 and 44 penalty minutes in 66 games. Last season, he tallied 5-15-20, 43 penalty minutes and a +5 plus/minus rating in 82 games.

Tyutin (pronounced TYOO-tihn) has also captured three gold medals playing for Russia in international competition. This past spring, he tallied 0-1-1, six penalty minutes and was +3 in six games to help Russia capture the gold at the World Championships. He also won gold medals at the 2002 and 2003 World Junior Championships. In addition, he tallied 0-1-1 and four penalty minutes in eight games for Russia at the 2006 Olympic Games.

Backman was St. Louis' first pick, 24th overall, in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. He spent the next four seasons playing in his native Sweden before making his North American debut in 2002-03. He appeared in four games with the Blues that season and registered 8-19-27 and 66 penalty minutes in 72 games with the AHL's Worcester IceCats. As an NHL rookie in 2003-04, he collected 5-13-18, 16 penalty minutes and was +3 in 66 games with the Blues.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound blueliner spent the 2004-05 campaign with Frolunda (Sweden) and then spent the next two-plus seasons with St. Louis before joining the Rangers during the 2007-08 season. He combined for 3-15-18 and 50 penalty minutes, including 2-6-8 and 20 penalty minutes in 18 games with New York. He also appeared in eight Stanley Cup Playoffs games with the Rangers, racking up 12 penalty minutes.

A native of Alingsas, Sweden, Backman tallied 1-2-3 in eight games at the 2006 Olympic Games, helping Sweden capture the gold medal. He has also represented his country at the 2004 and 2005 World Championships, winning a silver medal in 2004, was named to Sweden’s 2004 World Cup of Hockey Team and appeared in the 1999 and 2000 World Junior Championship Tournaments.

Deposits are now being accepted for Blue Jackets season tickets for the 2008-09 season. New 10 and 20 game plans also are available starting at $240. For information on season tickets, mini-plans or group tickets, call (614) 246-PUCK or 800-NHL-COLS.

What do you think about this trade? I like it, the Jackets need defense bad, and this should work out pretty darn well.
    Let's make some noise!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jackets Trade Zherdev and Fritsche

Malkin reupped with the Penguins today. Even though they lost Malone to the Lightening, they'll still going to be the favorites for the East. Crosby, Malone, Staal, and Giguirere is one young, talented squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Malkin reupped with the Penguins today. Even though they lost Malone to the Lightening, they'll still going to be the favorites for the East. Crosby, Malone, Staal, and Giguirere is one young, talented squad.
    Yeah they are. I would just be happy if the Jackets could make the playoffs, and I'm sure it would take a huge weight off everyones shoulders if we can just make it in the next year or two. I, for one believe that we have a good chance on making that become a reality this year.
    Let's make some noise!

I had no idea the Jackets had been so busy so far. Looks like we are really trying to up our defense.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/...ticleid=367446

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/...ticleid=367310
    Let's make some noise!

without hijacking one of the few NHL threads, how about Detroit signing Hossa today? I guess the rest of the NHL can start planning for 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    without hijacking one of the few NHL threads, how about Detroit signing Hossa today? I guess the rest of the NHL can start planning for 2010
    Good Times.... good times..

Damn WOY, I didn't know that team could get any better.

I do feel confident though that my Hawks are prepared to make life harder on you this season. I think the additions of Campbell and Huet go a long ways to fixing the 2 most glaring holes on the team.

With the abundance of young talent coming through, I thought the Blackhawks were already a playoff calibre team before the signings. Now I think the amount of teams that are better in the west can be counted on 1 hand.

I don't know which question is more suitable.

Columbus having a hockey team or having fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    What do you think about this trade? I like it, the Jackets need defense bad, and this should work out pretty darn well.
    As a partial season ticket holder, I loved to watch Z play but I believe in building out from the goal and I think the Jackets have done that with no defensemen over 30 except Hedja. Almost all of the upcoming prospects are forwards so they had to get some stability on the backline.

Huselius will pick up for the loss of Z. Now get the #1 center Nash has never had and they may have something next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Damn WOY, I didn't know that team could get any better.

I do feel confident though that my Hawks are prepared to make life harder on you this season. I think the additions of Campbell and Huet go a long ways to fixing the 2 most glaring holes on the team.

With the abundance of young talent coming through, I thought the Blackhawks were already a playoff calibre team before the signings. Now I think the amount of teams that are better in the west can be counted on 1 hand.
    The Hawks are waking up... sure they've been asleep for years, but they are making moves... good ones.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

WVRed said "I don't know which question is more suitable.

Columbus having a hockey team or having fans."

WVRed--being a life long C-Bus resident....you would think I might take exception to your "shot"---but with how horrible the Jackets have been (killed my interest in the NHL completely) and the buzz lately about how the Jackets could possibly leave Columbus...I just have to laugh....

Wait, the NHL has resumed play?

Quote Originally Posted by mole44 View Post
    Wait, the NHL has resumed play?
    Yep and it's still great... your loss if you've missed it. Especially if you were busy watching the NBA .

I understand what Columbus is doing, but they were already the 2nd worst goal scoring team in the NHL (and had the 8th best GA average). That is not going to improve without Zherdev. Who is going to score the goals? There is already immense pressure on Nash to score all the goals, now it will only intensify.

One more thing to those who know hockey better than I do. Are these Defensemen the Jackets good at moving the puck? From what I have seen, the new NHL favors teams with Defensemen who move the puck (see Detroit and Anaheim two years ago), and the CBJ didn't have those guys (I'm talking about you Adam Foote...)
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Tyutin was the main return. He's more of a good all around player, few weaknesses, but no big time specialties. So he's fine in that area, but not an offensive dynamo. Definitely a top 4 guy. Backman is more of a 5-6 guy... not that talented with the puck, he's defensively capable.

I honestly thought they needed Zherdev more, but Tyutin is a nice guy to have around, and continues to make Columbus a tough defensive team to score against. It's hard to see them doing anything more than coming around 10th again, but I could see them squeaking in around 8th with a few surprsing players on offense. Unfortunately, I don't see Huselius as a good fit in this system. He is one of the worse defensive players around, not because of lack of talent in the area, but because of lack of concern for it. Often this has led him to madden his coaches, and could see the same thing hapenning with Hitch.

Turn Off Ads?