Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th of July menus

4th of July menus

So... since grills are getting fired up from sea to shining sea, what all are people fixing for the 4th? Post your menu here.

I'm doing:

- beer-boiled brats (haven't figured yet what kind of beer to use)
    - roasted red peppers and onions
    - corn on the cob (on the grill)
    - potato salad (made it last night to let it get good).
    - crank up the ice cream maker on the back patio. I think I'm making peach ice cream with big chunks of peach.

And, of course, beer. More than one.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 4th of July menus

-Olathe-cut ribeye steaks (2" thick)
    -Grilled veggies (zucchini, peppers, onions)
    -Grilled jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon
    -Bread sticks (grilled, of course)
    -Fat Tire

Grilled corn-on-the-cob is awesome, but it takes a long time to do it right.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Grilled corn-on-the-cob is awesome, but it takes a long time to do it right
    Soak it in water for a few hours to expedite the steaming process.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Soak it in water for a few hours to expedite the steaming process.
    A few hours?

I usually boil it for 10 minutes, wrap it in foil with a pat of butter, and then toss in on the top rack of the grill for 20 minutes. And I thought *that* was time-consuming.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    A few hours?

I usually boil it for 10 minutes, wrap it in foil with a pat of butter, and then toss in on the top rack of the grill for 20 minutes. And I thought *that* was time-consuming.
    Big Bowl and drop the corn still in the husks in the bowl.

Go about your life, start the grill and then put the wet corn on the grill still in the husks. They steam right then.

Takes minimal effort and no foil no boiling... just grilling

Go about your life, start the grill and then put the wet corn on the grill still in the husks. They steam right then.

Yeah, but it also requires pre-planning, which is hit-or-miss for me. I'll get everything else ready, and then as I'm lighting the grill, "Oh crap, the corn is still in the 'fridge."

And there you have the perfect sweet corn.

We're having our big get together with friends on Saturday. I'll be doing pulled pork sandwiches with grilled veggies, an assortment of salads and finished with freaky good strawberry shortcake, with real shortbread and whipped cream...(not "whipping cream" out of a can)

The pulled pork recipe is one I stumbled on a few years ago, using pork shoulder and a dry rub of paprika, garlic, dried mustard, brown sugar and kosher salt. mmmmm pork.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

My entire family gets together on the 4th and everyone brings a dish. Usually, the meat is fried fish (crappie), cajun-style or southern. Since, on most years, we break 100 people, you can get pretty much whatever you want.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

I do corn on the grill either:

- the aforementioned soak it in its husks a while and throw it on the grille.
    - or husk it, wrap it in foil (with butter, parmesan cheese, spices), and throw it on the grill.

I can usually handle the planning part. All part of the ceremonial cave man cooking on open fire ritual.

Pulled pork? Mmmmmmm.... Use a smoker? I do. I use a variety of rubs, get the smoker going early (like 7-8 am), throw on about 8-10 lbs of pork shoulder, and smoke away. Usually done by dinner time.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I do corn on the grill either:

- the aforementioned soak it in its husks a while and throw it on the grille.
    - or husk it, wrap it in foil (with butter, parmesan cheese, spices), and throw it on the grill.

I can usually handle the planning part. All part of the ceremonial cave man cooking on open fire ritual.

Pulled pork? Mmmmmmm.... Use a smoker? I do. I use a variety of rubs, get the smoker going early (like 7-8 am), throw on about 8-10 lbs of pork shoulder, and smoke away. Usually done by dinner time.
    oven @275 for 6 hours. I'm doing 3 - 6 pounders....I'm going to try to 'kick it up a notch with one of them, integrating cayenne and some chili oil.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

This year, I think we are trying Private Selection(Kroger) Cheese and Bacon stuffed cheeseburgers. From what I have heard, they are better than a Hardee's Thickburger.

BTW, this sounds nasty, but it does taste really good to spread on corn on the cob. Take hot sauce and mayo and mix it together and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of it and then lightly spread it on the corn.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

A few hours?

I soak it (sometimes adding a little sugar to the water if the corn is out of season) and toss it right on the fire. I grill it until all sides of the husks are blackened a bit. Easy peasy.
    Pots and Kettles

Yeah, but it also requires pre-planning, which is hit-or-miss for me. I'll get everything else ready, and then as I'm lighting the grill, "Oh crap, the corn is still in the 'fridge."

I've soaked it for a short time with good results. The whole key to corn is to get it as fresh as possible and having the luck that it's good corn and the store hasn't had it too long.

I'm a country girl. Ideally corn should be cooked the same day it's picked.
    Pots and Kettles

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I keep meaning to buy a new one. I have one of the less expensive New Braunfels models (the Black Diamond), which works pretty well after I made a few small mods to it to better distribute heat. But the firebox isn't that big, the metal isn't that thick and the joints aren't that tight, so it requires more work to keep an even temperature over the hours than it should. And that's after conceding the necessity of using a mixed charcoal/wood fire rather than the all-wood fire I'd prefer. Turns out some good 'cue, though.
    Not all who wander are lost

I'm going to grill today ...... experimenting a bit. Could be a total flop.

2 different skewered chicken marinades: mesquite chili w/ lime or sesame ginger.

Skewered yams with a dash of some juice TB had in the fridge - papaya/mango/orange I think.

Barbecued beans

Watermelon

I really wish I picked up the pineapple that I saw on sale yesterday. I think it would have been good grilled with the yams.
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 07-03-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    Pots and Kettles

Turn Off Ads?