Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4th of July menus

Re: 4th of July menus

I'm still looking for a single electric burner like I used in the college dorm. I got a charcoal smoker for Christmas but I want to "convert" it to electric. Got the idea from Alton Brown on Good Eats.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Grilled corn? In the fan house, that means shucking, putting on the grill, and brushing with a mix of olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, kosher salt and some chili powder.

After the Peachtree Road Race 10K (misses & a couple of neighbors are part of the 55,000 field) is a small neighborhood soiree at our place in the morning. Then we're having some other friends over for dinner. There's a big honkin stake that's dry aging in our fridge.

And when the meals are over, there's a s'mores cheesecake for dessert.

NY strip steaks
    Burgers
    Beer-boiled brats finished on the grill
    Grilled pepper shrimp
    Jerk chicken
    Potato salad
    Cole slaw
    Corn and black bean salad
    Lots of assorted beer

A friend is coming over about noon and we're gonna' grill a couple of ribeyes (bone in, of course) with the afore mentioned grilled corn in the husk. Salad is sliced beefsteak tomato with anchovies or raw red onion rings, depending on your taste, hearts of palm and capers all drizzeled with extra virgin olive oil.

We're gonna' watch some Reds baseball and/or Wimbeldon tennis and try to get in a little pool time. About 4:00 PM we'll head to the tennis club to play a mixed doubles 'hit and giggle' round robin tourney followed by grilled (greasy, yum) burgers and hot dogs. Then we trek up the hill to watch the fireworks presented by 'The Dunes' over the Newport Backbay. This is their 50th year of fireworks and should be extra spectacular. The tennis, food (including unlimited beverage of your choice ) and fireworks are $12.00 per person. Great deal if ya' ask me!

Then, I'll try to shake my hangover the next morning so that I can go to work.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 07-03-2008 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    2 different skewered chicken marinades: mesquite chili w/ lime or sesame ginger.
    I grilled some slices of tri-tip in a seasame ginger marinade last night and it was great, great, great!

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 07-03-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Big Bowl and drop the corn still in the husks in the bowl.

Go about your life, start the grill and then put the wet corn on the grill still in the husks. They steam right then.

Takes minimal effort and no foil no boiling... just grilling

How long do you cook the corn this way? Directly over the heat, right?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

grilled pineapple?

Watermelon and pineapple, Deviled eggs, and cheesy scalloped potatoes to go with assorted grilled meats...

And apple pie!

Pack a small cooler with assorted snacks, buy 2 bottles of water from a vendor, then buy a hot dog at GABP. Settle in my seat (but bring a book to read in case of rain).
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

High five!

I just fired up the smoker; it's a cheapy electric one I got for $20 at a garage sale but it works pretty well. I'm gonna do some "country ribs" and maybe some salmon. The most requested item is this corn salad.

We're heading down to the Fr Qtr for the big "Fourth on the River". We travel light, so we'll pick up food there. We've been invited to a party on Royal St, so we'll spend some time there. Not sure where we'll catch the fireworks, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    How long do you cook the corn this way? Directly over the heat, right?
    Yep.... roll it occasionally the outer husks will blacken and brown, takes about 15 minutes.

Ham, potato salad, baked beans, chocolate pie and some burgers on the grill when we get tired of the ham.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Pack a small cooler with assorted snacks, buy 2 bottles of water from a vendor, then buy a hot dog at GABP. Settle in my seat (but bring a book to read in case of rain).
    I was BAD... was too hungry before the game - so I went to McAlister's Deli and got a club and ate it there - but I did finish off my snacks at the game...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I had grilled brats and ribeyes and fresh green beans. Had a brat for lunch and a ribeye for supper. In between was large quantities of watermelon. My wife will be home around 11:30. I saved her a ribeye and half the watermelon, but she'll probably be too tired to eat anything before going to bed.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?