Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball Card People

Baseball Card People

I have a baseball card my father-in-law found in a box of his father-in-law's stuff. Anybody recognize this player? If you know about cards, can you tell me about this one or send me to a site where I can find out about it?
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Re: Baseball Card People

I guess I hadn't imagined that "M. Brown" was actually Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown. Wow.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

That card is likely worth at least a couple hundred dollars. If it's in good condition or better, it could be worth substantially more than that.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Heres' a confirmation and some others for Brown.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...p/~ammem_sYfo:

A very nice card - I've got one myself.
    eBay has a couple of them listed in their "Buy it Now" listing, both listed under "good" (which is basically a low-medium rating).
    This guy is one of the better dealers around - his prices are usually somewhat accurate.

Another card, by the same dealer.

Even T206 common cards are rarities so it's a real treat to actually find a star, much less a Hall-of-Famer. As Cyclone noted, price is condition-sensitive. There appears to be one crease on the right of the card and a couple at the lower corners, and possibly some discoloration at the top (unless that's just compression artifacting). Need to see the corners though to hazard a guess at a real grade.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Thanks, guys. Mordecai crossed my mind, but whole vintage card thing is way out of my area of expertise.
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

Beckett lists the high book value as $350 (low $150). Value aside, that's a spectacular find and very well preserved!

Very nice card. A friend of mine has a two page letter written by Cy Young to his grandmother. Not sure if there is any value there, but I offered him a thousand for it. He promptly turned it down.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    Very nice card. A friend of mine has a two page letter written by Cy Young to his grandmother. Not sure if there is any value there, but I offered him a thousand for it. He promptly turned it down.
    If it has his signature on it, it has plenty of value

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If it has his signature on it, it has plenty of value
    He signed it. It was written in his senior years while he was living in a nursing home. The grandmother had written him in hopes of visiting him, but he did not want to be remembered like he was at the time. It was a touching letter, although the handwriting was very shaky. At the time I fancied myself a collector, but the truth is a thousand dollars was a lot of money to me at the time. If I had any money at all, I would have offered ten thousand.

Turn Off Ads?