18 2B
    13 3B (!)
    18 HR
    78 RBI
    87 BB
    195 K (ouch!)
    40/51 SB's
    .795 OPS

Ok, what am I missing here? Other than the K's, he looks pretty solid.

-Just turned 26. Check.
    -Already on the 40-man roster. Check.
    -Would make major league minimum. Check.
    -Way better than Norris Hopper, Corey Patterson and a healthy Ryan Freel. Check.
    -Better bat off the bench than Javy fricking Valentin. Check.
    -If promoted to the big club, it makes room for Cumberland to be promoted to AAA, setting off domino effect of past due OF promotions throughout the system. Check.

Is this organization really this stupid?

I think so.

Re: Chris Dickerson

Someone has decided that Dickerson doesn't have a future and he's stuck there as AAA fodder.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Someone has decided that Dickerson doesn't have a future and he's stuck there as AAA fodder.
    I'm hoping that "someone" is now employed by the Mets.

Dickerson had a very good June. If he keeps it going through July and the Reds continue to sag in the standings, the Reds would be well-advised to try him in CF for the last two months of the season.

I don't expect him to be starting CF in the majors for any major stretch of time, but getting some steady exposure to the bigs over the last two months of the year would help in determining if he's a viable bench option for 2009. And if he goes all Shane Victorino on us, that would be a nice bonus.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I too would like to see him in Cincy before long. At worst I think he should take the role of Corey Patterson and be the 5th outfielder next season. He's a plus-plus defender in center field, can steal a base and is willing to take a walk. I always hoped he would develop into a poor mans Curtis Granderson but that never happened, but I'd still take a Shane Victorino like M2 said or just a solid 5th outfielder.

I think Dickerson has an excellent chance to be an asset to the club as a reserve outfielder. Unfortunately, I do think Dickerson walks too much and strikes out too much for the toothpick and that may hold him back even further.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Dickerson with a .599 OPS against lefties. One day, maybe we'll see a Dickerson-Stubbs platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Dickerson with a .599 OPS against lefties. One day, maybe we'll see a Dickerson-Stubbs platoon.
    Maybe, but the notion of Stubbs as platoon CF against LHPs just depresses me.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Maybe, but the notion of Stubbs as platoon CF against LHPs just depresses me.
    Same here.

However, it could possibly work. Stubbs is hitting .318/.430/.424 - .855 OPS vs LHP. That would be pretty depressing though if that's all Stubbs ever develops into.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    However, it could possibly work. Stubbs is hitting .318/.430/.424 - .855 OPS vs LHP.
    I agree. Stubbs has big problems with RHPs and platoon against southpaws might be his major league future ... even if the idea of it bums me out.

Side question to the gallery: Is there an advancement path for a platoon vs. LH kid? I'm thinking you might have to hit RHPs well enough to get to the majors before anyone hands you a platoon role. You don't often hear of a kid in AAA who platoons against LHPs getting a promotion to do the same thing. It's usually a guy with good overall performance and a more regular gig who gets the nod.

Danny Dorn also seems like a future platoon hitter. He crushed RHP last year and failed miserably against lefties. This year he's hitting .302/.403/.547 against RHP and a lowly .162/.289/.351 against lefties. If anything it looks like the Reds could finally have a decent bench within a couple years with the likes of Danny Dorn, Chris Dickerson, Sean Henry, and Cumberland. Cumberland is a kid who could completely eliminate the idea of a platoon and overtake the center field job all by himself if he continues to hit like he is now in Chattanooga.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    That would just make too much sense.

What's his OPS against righties?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    .287/.380/.488 - .868.

High 860s I think.

Turn Off Ads?