Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Dickerson

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Chris Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Why not a Dickerson / Hopper platoon right now?

Hopper vs. LHP....

BA/OBP/SLG - .367 / .406 / .456
    OPS - .862

Wouldn't mind having that combo at the top of the order.
    I'd rather see Bruce in CF right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Why not a Dickerson / Hopper platoon right now?

Hopper vs. LHP....

BA/OBP/SLG - .367 / .406 / .456
    OPS - .862

Wouldn't mind having that combo at the top of the order.
    You have to get rid of Griffey first. I have no faith in Dusty to know how a platoon works. A Dickerson/Stubbs platoon would just up proving the notion that Drew Stubbs is the right handed version of Dickerson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Release Patterson and call up Dickerson. Patterson has no future with the Reds whereas Dickerson might. If he can hit ML RHP then he is fine as a reserve OF. The time to find out is now.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    However, it could possibly work. Stubbs is hitting .318/.430/.424 - .855 OPS vs LHP.
    I agree. Stubbs has big problems with RHPs and platoon against southpaws might be his major league future ... even if the idea of it bums me out.

Side question to the gallery: Is there an advancement path for a platoon vs. LH kid? I'm thinking you might have to hit RHPs well enough to get to the majors before anyone hands you a platoon role. You don't often hear of a kid in AAA who platoons against LHPs getting a promotion to do the same thing. It's usually a guy with good overall performance and a more regular gig who gets the nod.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Danny Dorn also seems like a future platoon hitter. He crushed RHP last year and failed miserably against lefties. This year he's hitting .302/.403/.547 against RHP and a lowly .162/.289/.351 against lefties. If anything it looks like the Reds could finally have a decent bench within a couple years with the likes of Danny Dorn, Chris Dickerson, Sean Henry, and Cumberland. Cumberland is a kid who could completely eliminate the idea of a platoon and overtake the center field job all by himself if he continues to hit like he is now in Chattanooga.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Release Patterson and call up Dickerson. Patterson has no future with the Reds whereas Dickerson might. If he can hit ML RHP then he is fine as a reserve OF. The time to find out is now.
    give Dickerson the same Number and we can all just change our replica jerseys to XXXXerson.

I was just running through a list of possible nicknames for Dickerson and just gave him the ARod style one. I think it could catch on.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I was just running through a list of possible nicknames for Dickerson and just gave him the ARod style one. I think it could catch on.
    LMAO... I don't think it would catch on much.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    LMAO... I don't think it would catch on much.
    Yeah, but he'd pull in the sponsor money from the "See Jane, See Spot, See ----" books.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

You guys are killing me. Good stuff.

But is C-Dick any worse than Dick Pole???

What about The ChriDick?

It stinks!

Not everyone has a 20 year career. Some are 15, some are 10, some are 7, 5, and 3. Dickerson is one that could give the team somewhere between 3 and 5. You need as many of those types of players as you do any of the others.

I love the fact that a light went on in his head the day Bruce got called up. Since then he's been OPS-ing around .950 with a bucket full of stolen bases. Rarely since then is there a game where he doesn't do something offensively, whether it's a walk and a SB, a single, RBI, SB, and a run, or whatever, and then the Defense he gives is that of a legitimate Center Fielder. I'm hoping he starts in CenterField next year for the REDS.

I've seen guys like Dickerson "turn on a light" like he did when Bruce was called up. Then the big league club calls them up and the light is quickly turned off. It would be best for Dickerson to allow him to finish out the season at AAA with the "lights turned on", so he gets to develop some good habits and has some time under his belt with this new situation that he's in right now.

I think that Dickerson can provide the things that Corey Patterson can and at a younger age and cheaper price...

Right now the big league club has an abundance of guys to play everyday...We have a solid 10...We are constantly leaving someone out of the lineup that one would want in the lineup...Like today it is Bruce...

Right now you really want Hairston in the lineup...So if you want Kepp as well you gotta put Hairston in CF and Kepp at SS...So then Bruce is out unless you move Griffey out of the lineup...

So what I am getting at that right now Patterson is probably the better option, just for the sake that Dickerson wouldn't be getting many at-bats up here and would be just a late inning defensive replacement and a pinch runner...

So as you said let Dickerson get some atbats...If someone goes down he would be next in line probably, but right now he is better off where he is...

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

OK, this is getting ridiculous. Chris Dickerson is on fire. If he were a year or two younger, he'd be considered a big time prospect by all the "experts". But no, he's 26. Oh my, how can you be any good, if you are 26 in AAA? Give me a break. I don't care about age and the stupid lables anymore. I've seen can't miss prospects within the Reds organization come up and struggle time and time again. Just this year for example - the super four. Bailey is awful. Votto is average. Bruce is struggling. Cueto is coming around, but he's struggled.

Maybe Dickerson isn't considered a "prospect", but what he's done the past season plus in Louisville convinces me. Besides, everybody's all-american and arguably the most overrated player in this organization, Jeff Keppinger, was older and had not accomplished much if anything more than Dickerson has at the minor league level and he has been given 600 plate appearances and worshipped all the while we watch Corey Patterson stink up the joint and Griffey sulk his way towards the end of his stay here.

Dickerson's last 1+ years in Louisville:

652 AB
    174 H
    22 2B
    14 3B (!)
    23 HR
    89 RBI
    97 BB
    215 K (ouch!)
    44/56 SB's
    .816 OPS

If we are now going to watch this team smell it up from here on out, I'd rather it be with the future. Give this kid a chance. He's only 26 and he's already better than Junior, Hopper, Freel, and of course, Corey Patterson. Oh yes, I'd also wager that he's better than one Mr. Jerry Hairston as well.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 07-28-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Turn Off Ads?