Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 99

Thread: Chris Dickerson

  1. #46
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    He should be playing everyday from here on out in Cincy.

    Why do we need to see a full season of Jerry Hairston to get an idea of what he can do? He's already given us ten years of data.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    I've already posted this in the Stubbs thread by accident, but Dickerson is no longer listed on the Louisville roster which could be an indication that he's getting the call to Cincy.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  4. #48
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Dickerson is back on the Bats roster now.

  5. #49
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Dickerson is back on the Bats roster now.
    Well aren't you just a little bearer of bad news today.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  6. #50
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    It was too good to be true.

    I guess it was too much to expect from this clueless orgnanization.

  7. #51
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Hairston is still listed on the Bats roster too, FWIW.

  8. #52
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Hairston is still listed on the Bats roster too, FWIW.
    So that means......

    Corey Patterson in CF.

    Yippie.

  9. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,479

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It may be that they are simply letting him get regular ABs in Louisville until September, then call him up when the rosters expand.
    That would be the best thing to do because there isn't any way that Dusty would pencil him in as the starter every single day if he was recalled.

  10. #54
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,697

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Up to 801 PA in AAA, with an OBP over .360 and a SLG over .450. He's 26, runs like the wind, and is a plus plus defender in CF. The Reds will control him throughout his prime and he'll come cheaply on a team that needs to save on its role players to be able to afford its main men.

    He projects to .780 plus OPS during his peak seasons (starting in 2009 BTW) with an OBP in the .340s and a slugging % in the .430s. This seems like a no brainer for a shot at CF batting in the 7th spot. You'd think a team with the awful defensive issues would take a look at a top defender who would cost nothing and who is putting up those types of numbers only a level down. If he struggles, he's still a decent reserve OF option that saves some cash for other needs.

    He's past the point of needing to prove anything else or even play every day at AAA. I'm not completely sold that he'll meet those projections, but he's worth a look if you ask me.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  11. #55
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Up to 801 PA in AAA, with an OBP over .360 and a SLG over .450. He's 26, runs like the wind, and is a plus plus defender in CF. The Reds will control him throughout his prime and he'll come cheaply on a team that needs to save on its role players to be able to afford its main men.

    He projects to .780 plus OPS during his peak seasons (starting in 2009 BTW) with an OBP in the .340s and a slugging % in the .430s. This seems like a no brainer for a shot at CF batting in the 7th spot. You'd think a team with the awful defensive issues would take a look at a top defender who would cost nothing and who is putting up those types of numbers only a level down. If he struggles, he's still a decent reserve OF option that saves some cash for other needs.

    He's past the point of needing to prove anything else or even play every day at AAA. I'm not completely sold that he'll meet those projections, but he's worth a look if you ask me.
    Amen.

    Joey Votto puts up an .859 OPS in 500+ plate apearances in AAA (as a 1st baseman) and he's Mr. ALL-WORLD super-duper prospect.

    Chris Dickerson has managed to put up an .820+ OPS in 800+ AAA plate appearances (at a defensive-oriented position no less) with tons of speed (46/58 SB's) and he's Mr. chopped liver.

    Seriously, I don't get it. Sometimes I think the "brain-trust" makes things way more difficult than necessary. This isn't rocket science for crying out loud.

  12. #56
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Up to 801 PA in AAA, with an OBP over .360 and a SLG over .450. He's 26, runs like the wind, and is a plus plus defender in CF. The Reds will control him throughout his prime and he'll come cheaply on a team that needs to save on its role players to be able to afford its main men.

    He projects to .780 plus OPS during his peak seasons (starting in 2009 BTW) with an OBP in the .340s and a slugging % in the .430s. This seems like a no brainer for a shot at CF batting in the 7th spot. You'd think a team with the awful defensive issues would take a look at a top defender who would cost nothing and who is putting up those types of numbers only a level down. If he struggles, he's still a decent reserve OF option that saves some cash for other needs.

    He's past the point of needing to prove anything else or even play every day at AAA. I'm not completely sold that he'll meet those projections, but he's worth a look if you ask me.
    Good post. Dickerson should have been up here yesterday.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  13. #57
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds callup Chris Dickerson, Paul Janish, and Ryan Hanigan and playing them everyday in September. The offense would be awful but it would be nice to see some actual defense at key positions.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  14. #58
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,110

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds callup Chris Dickerson, Paul Janish, and Ryan Hanigan and playing them everyday in September. The offense would be awful but it would be nice to see some actual defense at key positions.
    It certainly would improve draft position.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  15. #59
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds callup Chris Dickerson, Paul Janish, and Ryan Hanigan and playing them everyday in September. The offense would be awful but it would be nice to see some actual defense at key positions.
    Yes, please.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  16. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,179

    Re: Chris Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Amen.

    Joey Votto puts up an .859 OPS in 500+ plate apearances in AAA (as a 1st baseman) and he's Mr. ALL-WORLD super-duper prospect.

    Chris Dickerson has managed to put up an .820+ OPS in 800+ AAA plate appearances (at a defensive-oriented position no less) with tons of speed (46/58 SB's) and he's Mr. chopped liver.

    Seriously, I don't get it. Sometimes I think the "brain-trust" makes things way more difficult than necessary. This isn't rocket science for crying out loud.
    It's not rocket science but fans might want to consider the whole record before forming these kinds of absolute conclusions.

    Dickerson has this year done well at AAA. But his overall AAA numbers coming into this year were weaker. In 2007 his OPS at AAA was below .800 and at AA was below .700 in 114 AA at bats.

    Dickerson's lifetime minor league OPS is .772.

    Dickerson has fanned 682 times in just over 2171 minor league at bats, which is a lot for a guy who has slugged .413.

    The issue with Dickerson is whether he has finally overcome his offensive issues, or whether he is another 26 year old player who has figured out AAA. I'm sure he will be up with the Reds by September, at the latest, and I'd favor bringing him up. I wouldn't have minded him on the roster as a defensive guy much sooner, in fact.

    But to compare Dickerson's offense to Votto -- who succeeded at AAA as a 23 year old hitter -- is not a particularly good comparison.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-03-2008 at 12:42 PM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25