Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton confirms tensions in the Reds clubhouse...

Hybrid View

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Josh Hamilton confirms tensions in the Reds clubhouse...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...Hamilton_N.htm

...Yet, away from the ballpark, Hamilton remains virtually alone. He usually goes straight to his hotel with Johnny Narron, his mentor and confidant. Narron, brother of former Reds manager Jerry Narron, was hired by Texas after being Hamilton's "guardian angel" last year with Cincinnati. They always get adjoining rooms. Narron knows where Hamilton is at all times. Hamilton, not permitted to venture out alone, never carries more than $20 in his wallet, helping resist temptation.

"It'd be nice to hang out with him and have a couple of drinks," Catalanotto says, "but that's not going to happen. We understand that."

He has ventured out a few times with teammates and says he feels more accepted by his Texas teammates than in Cincinnati last year, when no one invited him out. He sensed jealousy and perhaps resentment over the attention his comeback story received.

"I even heard comments that I was signing too many autographs for the fans," he says. "It just got worse as the year went on."

The discord played no factor in the trade, but, Krivsky said: "There were issues in the clubhouse. Maybe that stuff would have gone by the boards had he stayed."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Josh Hamilton confirms tensions in the Reds clubhouse...

Seems like Josh wants to have it both ways. He's upset that guys wouldn't ask him to go out but then we read stories about him turning guys down because he can't be in their environment when they do go out.

I think the tension is more of a natural result of his situation and the fine line he's trying to walk than anything specifically going on in Cincy.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Seems like Josh wants to have it both ways. He's upset that guys wouldn't ask he to go out but then we read stories about him turning guys down because he can't be in their environment when they do go out.
    I didn't read it that way at all. He knows he can't go, but it would have been nice to be asked... he wasn't. And that may be because his Cincinnati teammates knew he couldn't go. But, apparently, that hasn't stopped his Texas colleagues from at least asking.

I have no doubt whatsoever that there was a bit of jealousy towards Josh in the Reds clubhouse... not for his situation but regarding his talent. And Phillips being one of them doesn't surprise me either. I remember the remark.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I have no doubt whatsoever that there was a bit of jealousy towards Josh in the Reds clubhouse... not for his situation but regarding his talent. And Phillips being one of them doesn't surprise me either. I remember the remark.
    I'll agree with this. I know a lot of people here love Phillips. But for me, he's a slighty more refined version of Ocho-Cinco. Happy and fun loving when things are going well and he's getting the love. Not so much when things aren't going well and/or the spotlight is somewhere else.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

one of the problems socially is that employees want to complain about the employer (Narron) but can't with Narron's surrogate (Hamilton and his Siamese twin) around

but I swear, it's like the Reds players don't even want to win. bunch of seventh grade girls.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    one of the problems socially is that employees want to complain about the employer (Narron) but can't with Narron's surrogate (Hamilton and his Siamese twin) around

but I swear, it's like the Reds players don't even want to win. bunch of seventh grade girls.
    I agree with your last statement. That type of jealousy is just childish. It also shows the lack of leadership the Reds have in their clubhouse. Good,veteran leadership in the clubhouse goes a long way towards winning.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    That's not fair to seventh grade girls.

In all seriousness, it will be very interesting to watch the change unfold in team mentality as the club undergoes the anticipated turnover before next season. Phillips likes to talk about his readiness to assume the vocal leadership role. I hope for his sake he has broad shoulders.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I didn't read it that way at all. He knows he can't go, but it would have been nice to be asked... he wasn't. And that may be because his Cincinnati teammates knew he couldn't go. But, apparently, that hasn't stopped his Texas colleagues from at least asking.
    Better than asking knowing the guy can't go is to once-in-awhile do something the guy could enjoy with you.

On the flipside maybe he is not all that tolerable for any length of time?

GL

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Is Hamilton that weak mentally that he can't go out with his teammates and just enjoy some good food and not drink alcohol? I understand there would be temptation being around a bunch of guys who are drinking, but at some point he needs to be a big boy and be able to go out in public and have a good time without being trashed. Plus, wasn't crack Hamilton's big issue? I don't think having a couple Bud Lights with his teammates was ever the problem. Not that drinking would be good for him, but it's funny how people act like Josh Hamilton's head would explode if he walked into a bar just because he's a recovering crack user. There are plenty of recovering alcoholics who are able to go out with their friends and not drink. They just get really fat by eating a lot of bad food ;-)
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 07-04-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Is Hamilton that weak mentally that he can't go out with his teammates and just enjoy some good food and not drink alcohol? I understand there would be temptation being around a bunch of guys who are drinking, but at some point he needs to be a big boy and be able to go out in public and have a good time without being trashed. Plus, wasn't crack Hamilton's big issue? I don't think having a couple Bud Lights with his teammates was ever the problem. Not that drinking would be good for him, but it's funny how people act like Josh Hamilton's head would explode if he walked into a bar just because he's a recovering crack user. There are plenty of recovering alcoholics who are able to go out with their friends and not drink. They just get really fat by eating a lot of bad food ;-)
    relapsed drug/ alcohol users will give you the exact defense.

If you want to be sober, why hang out at bars?
    If you want a happy marriage, why go to strip bars?
    If you want to rid yourself of a gambling addiction, why go to Vegas for the shows?

If you want a summer without aggravation...why follow the Reds?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    relapsed drug/ alcohol users will give you the exact defense.

If you want to be sober, why hang out at bars?
    If you want a happy marriage, why go to strip bars?
    If you want to rid yourself of a gambling addiction, why go to Vegas for the shows?

If you want a summer without aggravation...why follow the Reds?

Pots and Kettles

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Rolling the dice with an addictive personality, I don't know, it does make sense though that he should be able to socialize selectively.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A965948260

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Rolling the dice with an addictive personality, I don't know, it does make sense though that he should be able to socialize selectively.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A965948260

Yeah. Better safe than sorry. But I wonder if he goes out to restaurants at all - either by himself or with Johnny Narron.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think I remember comments by Phillips at one point last year saying something like, "there are other players on this team than Josh Hamilton" or something to that effect. He seemed irritated with all the questions surrounding Hamilton and his comeback story.

Honestly, not being able to go out and toss a few back with the boys probably did little to knock down any walls that might have been there. Sad to say, but probably true.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I think I remember comments by Phillips at one point last year saying something like, "there are other players on this team than Josh Hamilton" or something to that effect. He seemed irritated with all the questions surrounding Hamilton and his comeback story.
    The incident that I remember happened early in the year in '07. The press was crowded around Hamilton and getting quotes from him. During the exchange Adam Dunn happened by and one of the reporters asked Dunn what he thought of Hamilton. I don't remember the quote from Dunn word-for-word but it was something like 'Josh Hamilton is the most amazing ballplayer in the whole world'. He was asked what he meant by that and he just repeated the sentence again.

The comment struck me as strange at the time but considering today's USA Today column, I am convinced that it was sarcasm (and jealousy) to the nth degree.

Another example of Dunn's 'sense of humor' would be when he was on a mission to improve his fielding and he said that he was going to work hard on his defense and turn himself into a Gold Glove outfielder.

Anyway, I pine for the days of the Big Red Machine when the Reds had FOUR leaders to keep everyone on the straight and narrow -- Rose, Morgan, Bench and Perez.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

Turn Off Ads?