Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton confirms tensions in the Reds clubhouse...

Re: Josh Hamilton confirms tensions in the Reds clubhouse...

I see it differently. I had a college friend of mine that was a normal guy, he liked to drink Jack Daniels and have a good time. One day he had a diabetic seizure out of the blue. His lifestyle had to change. He was told he was not allowed to drink alcohol, ever. We tried to include him but it was hard. If we were going to a party we always had it in the back of our minds that if he came along he may do something stupid. Sometimes we kept our plans secret so as to not hurt his feelings. It is a tough line to walk.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I am sure some thought why is it that an ex-druggie minor league prospect flame-out is getting more attention from the home crowd than they were.
    Reds' players thoughts: "why doesn't he suck like I do?"

It is disappointing to hear a story like this. By all regards Hamilton was a feel great story but at the same time he backed up everything on the field. He was one of if not the best Reds player last season. The entire team should work towards a common goal of winning baseball games. What happens off the field or with the media should weigh little on the players.

This team needs a leader in the worst sort of way. This team needs someone to get on the players when they don't hustle or continually make mental errors. They need someone who isn't going to say they want to be a leader (Phillips) rather grabs the reigns and takes the team in.

If you have ever played competitive team sports the leader isn't the one who annoints himself. The leader is the one who the rest of the team recognizes as the leader. Nothing is more funny that the guy who claims himself to be the leader but no one else on the team respects.

It's funny how we percieve things to be and find different. makes me feel even better about the trade. Josh may not have done as well here with the clubhouse and we got a great pitcher. I think the trade just worked out well for everyone and it's part of the amazing story of Josh Hamilton.

I could care less about what the atmosphere in the clubhouse is because the Reds absolutely stink. It's obvious a "great clubhouse" doesn't translate into wins if the Reds are an example.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I could care less about what the atmosphere in the clubhouse is because the Reds absolutely stink. It's obvious a "great clubhouse" doesn't translate into wins if the Reds are an example.
    Exactly. The fun-lovin', Danny Graves/Sean Casey, "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" Reds were well under .500.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 07-03-2008 at 02:58 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The Josh Hamilton story is, of course, a very unique story. It is both touching and insiring. And, by its' nature, it is different than the situation that any other MLB player finds himself in. It is what makes Josh truly different from anyone else. All MLB players have some degree of talent and they understand that there are different levels of talent. No one however has gone through what Josh has and the reactions and understanding of each individual in that clubhouse is going to vary because no one else has experienced the situation that defines who and what Josh Hamilton is.

What Josh has done, good and bad, will always be part of him just like having blue eyes or being left-handed. It's not going to change anytime soon and will influence the 'clubhouse factor' as long as he's in the game.

Rem

This all just goes back to the way guys are with the media and how the media reacts to it.

Josh Hamilton was open about his issues and was always willing to talk to the media. Because of that, the media liked him and went out of their way to talk about him in a positive light 99% of the time. Since he gives them quotes for stories, they avoid banging on him and leave out less than desirable stories and tidbits they could mention.

Conversely, Brandon Phillips doesn't always want to talk to the media. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. Because of that, the C. Trents and Hal McCoys of the world take opportunities to make remarks about his "attitude" and "selfishness" a lot of times.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I think I remember comments by Phillips at one point last year saying something like, "there are other players on this team than Josh Hamilton" or something to that effect. He seemed irritated with all the questions surrounding Hamilton and his comeback story.
    The incident that I remember happened early in the year in '07. The press was crowded around Hamilton and getting quotes from him. During the exchange Adam Dunn happened by and one of the reporters asked Dunn what he thought of Hamilton. I don't remember the quote from Dunn word-for-word but it was something like 'Josh Hamilton is the most amazing ballplayer in the whole world'. He was asked what he meant by that and he just repeated the sentence again.

The comment struck me as strange at the time but considering today's USA Today column, I am convinced that it was sarcasm (and jealousy) to the nth degree.

Another example of Dunn's 'sense of humor' would be when he was on a mission to improve his fielding and he said that he was going to work hard on his defense and turn himself into a Gold Glove outfielder.

Anyway, I pine for the days of the Big Red Machine when the Reds had FOUR leaders to keep everyone on the straight and narrow -- Rose, Morgan, Bench and Perez.

Dunn and Griffey have sarcastic sense of humors...they like to needle...just like the old BRM.....remember after Tolan misjudged that flyball in game 7 of 1972 WS? Rose made fun of him during a batting cage session the next year....Tolan did not have a thick skin. He withdrew. I know people at work who love to mess with people by getting under their skin.....I never see it as being jealous...just their way of joking.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I didn't read it that way at all. He knows he can't go, but it would have been nice to be asked... he wasn't. And that may be because his Cincinnati teammates knew he couldn't go. But, apparently, that hasn't stopped his Texas colleagues from at least asking.

I have no doubt whatsoever that there was a bit of jealousy towards Josh in the Reds clubhouse... not for his situation but regarding his talent. And Phillips being one of them doesn't surprise me either. I remember the remark.
    Is Hamilton that weak mentally that he can't go out with his teammates and just enjoy some good food and not drink alcohol? I understand there would be temptation being around a bunch of guys who are drinking, but at some point he needs to be a big boy and be able to go out in public and have a good time without being trashed. Plus, wasn't crack Hamilton's big issue? I don't think having a couple Bud Lights with his teammates was ever the problem. Not that drinking would be good for him, but it's funny how people act like Josh Hamilton's head would explode if he walked into a bar just because he's a recovering crack user. There are plenty of recovering alcoholics who are able to go out with their friends and not drink. They just get really fat by eating a lot of bad food ;-)
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 07-04-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Is Hamilton that weak mentally that he can't go out with his teammates and just enjoy some good food and not drink alcohol? I understand there would be temptation being around a bunch of guys who are drinking, but at some point he needs to be a big boy and be able to go out in public and have a good time without being trashed. Plus, wasn't crack Hamilton's big issue? I don't think having a couple Bud Lights with his teammates was ever the problem. Not that drinking would be good for him, but it's funny how people act like Josh Hamilton's head would explode if he walked into a bar just because he's a recovering crack user. There are plenty of recovering alcoholics who are able to go out with their friends and not drink. They just get really fat by eating a lot of bad food ;-)
    relapsed drug/ alcohol users will give you the exact defense.

If you want to be sober, why hang out at bars?
    If you want a happy marriage, why go to strip bars?
    If you want to rid yourself of a gambling addiction, why go to Vegas for the shows?

If you want a summer without aggravation...why follow the Reds?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Dunn and Griffey have sarcastic sense of humors...they like to needle...just like the old BRM.....remember after Tolan misjudged that flyball in game 7 of 1972 WS? Rose made fun of him during a batting cage session the next year....Tolan did not have a thick skin. He withdrew. I know people at work who love to mess with people by getting under their skin.....I never see it as being jealous...just their way of joking.
    I will be glad to see the JR and Dunn leadership walk in October......I am really, really looking forward to 11/2008, it is the month of my wife's and my youngest son's birthdays and the end of the samo-samo show.

The future may actually begin......

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Rolling the dice with an addictive personality, I don't know, it does make sense though that he should be able to socialize selectively.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A965948260

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Rolling the dice with an addictive personality, I don't know, it does make sense though that he should be able to socialize selectively.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A965948260

Yeah. Better safe than sorry. But I wonder if he goes out to restaurants at all - either by himself or with Johnny Narron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?