Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jayson Stark says Aaron Harang is not untouchable

Jayson Stark says Aaron Harang is not untouchable

• Seeing Red: Here's another intriguing name to add to your deadline shopping list:

Aaron Harang.

Two clubs that have spoken with the Reds in recent days report that, surprisingly, Harang is not on their untouchables list. According to one team, the Reds' latest stance is that they'll discuss anybody on the roster except Jay Bruce, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Joey Votto and Edwin Encarnacion.

So that means Harang is a guy for whom they'll at least accept bids. But just understand they'll have to be very, very large bids.

"For them to make that move," said an official of one club, "you'd really have to stagger them because to their fans, that's waving the white flag. So you'd have to come at them with three strong, above-average-type prospects. And even then, I'm not sure they'd say yes. But if you could get him, you've got the best 3-10 pitcher in baseball."

True, Harang's record might be an unsightly 3-10. But look beyond that, and you'll see he'd still be a formidable addition to any rotation.

He has made 11 quality starts (one more than Cole Hamels). His record reflects the third-worst run support in the big leagues (2.96 runs per nine innings). He has a sub-4.00 home ERA in his pitcher's-nightmare park. And he's third in the NL in innings pitched. So he won't be priced like your average 3-10 commodity.

• Dunn deal: We heard from three different teams this week that the Reds have "zero" takers on Adam Dunn. Hard to believe Dunn wouldn't be a fit for an AL team with a lineup deep enough that he wouldn't have to be a middle-of-the-order presence.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...page=rumblings

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jayson Stark says Aaron Harang is not untouchable

I like it.

Then, CC or bust in 2009.

Fine, more Dunn for ourselves.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

poor guy. he wants to stay, and he knows how success goes over in this clubhouse, so he's been trying to fit in better by sucking.

I would only trade Harang for a huge return. He could probably fetch a similar package to a CC Sabathia considering he' signed cheaply for the next few years. Here's some deals I would consider:

Yankees: Phil Hughes, Austin Jackson, and Jesus Montero.

Red Sox: Michael Bowden/Justin Masterson, Lars Anderson, and either Jed Lowrie/Brandon Moss.

Braves: Jason Heyward, Tommy Hanson, and Charlie Morton.

Phillies: Carlos Carrasco, Lou Marson, Adrian Cardenas, and Dominic Brown.

Yeah it would have to be a Bartolo Colon like deal for me to go along (Indians traded Colon to Expos for Sizemore/B-Phil/Cliff Lee, I believe).

Dealing Harang for a large return is exactly the kind of thinking this team needs to pursue assuming they are willing to get rid of the actual bad performers on the roster as well. If they aren't, then dealing Harang only sets us back another decade.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I find it intriguing that Brandon Phillips' name is not on the untouchables list. Here's a 30/30, gold glove caliber 2B in his mid-twenties. I'd imagine the haul for him would be nice too.

Tampa is winning. Are they a target? Harang isn't exactly old.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Harang, Hairston, and Weathers for Kemp and LaRoche. Sign CC. Move Votto to LF and EE to 1B. I like it!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I find it intriguing that Brandon Phillips' name is not on the untouchables list. Here's a 30/30, gold glove caliber 2B in his mid-twenties. I'd imagine the haul for him would be nice too.
    Once a player starts making market level money, he has to be a unique talent in order to be untouchable. I agree, it would be interesting to see what kind of offers he'd generate.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

"For them to make that move," said an official of one club, "you'd really have to stagger them because to their fans, that's waving the white flag."

Huh? That flag has been waving so long that it's more tattered than the Star Spangled Banner at Ft. Sumter.

Rem

Should have dealt him prior to last season. His stock was even higher then.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

CC

CC looks incredibly out of shape and once he gets a LTC he'll become Cecil Fielderesque. Pass.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Harang to Tampa Bay for Desmond Jennings, Reid Brignac, Jeremy Hellickson and Alexander Cobb? Hows that look?

Turn Off Ads?