Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can someone explain "two first round picks for Dunn" at the end of the year thing?

Can someone explain "two first round picks for Dunn" at the end of the year thing?

Can someone explain to me how it works at the end of the year? I keep hearing if we don't sign Dunn and Dunn gets signed by someone else, we get two first round picks for him. How does this work? Does he have to reject arbitration or something like that? I've never really understood the whole process. Also is it possible we could do the same with other players, like Junior or anyone else who is a free agent?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can someone explain "two first round picks for Dunn" at the end of the year thing

Free agents are put into 3 differnt types.

Type A
    Type B
    Type C

If a type A FA signs with another team, you get 2 first round draft picks for losing your player

Re: Can someone explain "two first round picks for Dunn" at the end of the year thing

Supplementary, or do you actually get the OTHER teams picks?

And if Griffey accepts a buyout (or doesn't and just lets off of that clause), do we get a pick?

Basically it's like this:

All players are ranked by the Elias Sports Bureau, assigned a rating and grouped by position. The top 20 percent of players in their group are considered "Type A" players, and if they're lost in free agency, the team that signs the player gives up a first round draft pick to the former team as well as a compensation pick in the sandwich round goes to the former team.

All Type B free agents (percentiles 21-40) give a sandwich pick to the former team.

Dunn is considered a "Type A" free agent and would give the Reds two picks.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Supplementary, or do you actually get the OTHER teams picks?

And if Griffey accepts a buyout (or doesn't and just lets off of that clause), do we get a pick?
    No, accepting a buyout does not merit a pick. However, player options that are not exercised do merit a pick assuming the player is a Type A or Type B. I believe team options that are declined do not merit picks, but I'd have to check on that.

Ah, alright, thanks for the info. I know we have a lot of money off the books this year, so if we could get picks for them, it would be awesome.

Who are the other players up for free agency?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Who are the other players up for free agency?
    Off the top of my head, I think...

Lincoln
    Affeldt
    Fogg
    Bako
    Hairston
    Patterson
    Hopper?

Just remember, "losing" Rich Aurilia resulted in the sandwich pick of Todd Frazier.

Dunn is well worth carrying to the end of the year for two first round picks, unless someone gives us a center field prospect who can be a 10 year starter and a pitching prospect who will play in the majors. Or a great deal.

Turn Off Ads?