Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate the Cordero investment so far?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How would you rate the Cordero investment so far?

I give it a B+ ... a lot of people were complaining after he blew a couple saves, but man is he effective IMO. Just got his 16th save, and its nice not to have to worry about that closer spot. Could maybe Burton have held that role and did a good job? It's possible, but with this bullpen, we need as many good arms as we can get and I'm glad ownership put the money out there to get a very good closer. This year is down the crapper so I just hope he can keep it up in the future and be a guy who rises up the all times save list and becomes an All Star closer. He sure won't be worked too hard this year with opportunities I don't think.

Re: How would you rate the Cordero investment so far?

He is doing a job that Burton can do a lot cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Says who? There are a lot of really good bullpen pitchers that can't make it as a closer, closers have to have a mental edge, we really don't know that Burton has it or not. Burton could possibly be a good closer, but could also not be able to cut it as a closer.

Spending $46 million on a closer is a bad investment for any team, ESPECIALLY the Cincinnati Reds. I think Cordero is great, but Burton has had a better year - and could be closing games for a whole helluva lot less money.

Then who'd do Burton's job?

With any team in a small or mid size market like the Reds, any contract that big is going to be scrutinized pretty heavily. That said, other than the occasional bout of wildness and a couple of times where he couldn't keep Cody Ross in the park, Cordero has been pretty solid. And, he's the type of pitcher that can overcome his own wildness and still get out of an inning by overmatching most hitters. If a guy like David Weathers loses the strike zone, he's screwed, unless he gets a double play ball. If Cordero loses the strike zone, he still might be able to bounce back and get out of it because guys aren't going to hit him very hard, for the most part.

Sure Burton could do the job cheaper, but could he do it as well? I doubt it. I still like him better as a set up guy at this point.

Add to the fact that Cordero has taken on the role of secondary mentor and confidante to Volquez and Cueto, and yeah, I'll at least say I'm thrilled to death he's here.

Also the fact that if Cordero wasn't here and Burton was closer, we would have someone else in the bullpen in his spot that would probably be horrible. Stanton would likely still been here.

Cordero has been great, and i'm glad to have him. Do you people remember the 8th inning last year? That's where you'd be moving Jared Burton from to the 9th. We need to be thankful we finally have a slam the door type of closer. I love feeling confident going into the 9th with a lead for a change, and i think it's be a very solid investment!

Cordero had more blown saves last season than Weathers, this team did not need a closer. Yes they needed bullpen help and pushing everyone back a slot did that, but so would have picking up a legit setup man for 1/3 of the price.

Cordero was signed to make a splash in the press so the average fan would think the Reds were moving the right direction and were contenders so they would go out to the ball park

Cordero had more blown saves last season than Weathers, this team did not need a closer. Yes they needed bullpen help and pushing everyone back a slot did that, but so would have picking up a legit setup man for 1/3 of the price.

Cordero was signed to make a splash in the press so the average fan would think the Reds were moving the right direction and were contenders so they would go out to the ball park
    First of all, I don't really appreciate being considered an average fan. I'm a season ticket holder that watches every single game, so that wasn't an accurate assessment by you. I think Cordero was a very nice signing that solidifies the back end. You know as well as I do that David Weathers wasn't as good as Cordero, and that was with him pitching over his head. He certainly wouldn't be as good this year with his .370 Opponent Batting Average.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

He's pitched well, no doubt about it. But we overpaid, and for the right offer Cordero could be had... no doubts about it. The fact that Burton has done so well only cements it.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

He's worth the investment because of the mentoring he provides Volquez and Cueto on a day to day basis. Its got to be nice for those guys to have a veteran presence to help them out.

Plus hes a damn good pitcher.

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

B + sounds about right. Some good analysis on here. I think we are all in agreement that Burton could do a bang up job in the 9th for cheaper, but shuttter at the notion of D.Weathers coming in with a 1 run lead in the 8th. I think you need that 1-2 combo at the end of your pen to truely have a great pen. Do you know how many steak dinners and Rolex watches that K-Rod has probably bought Shields down in Anaheim.
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

I'd give it a C, we just haven't got our money's worth so far.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    I'd give it a C, we just haven't got our money's worth so far.
    haha ?

Well he can't hit and field
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?