Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's Miami Herald: Marlins targeting Ross

Today's Miami Herald: Marlins targeting Ross

Wonder if this is an element of the front office "buzz" we heard about last night?

TEAM TARGETS REDS CATCHER DAVID ROSS

Although the catching market is thin, the Marlins are looking at Cincinnati Reds catcher David Ross as a trade possibility.

Ross, who primarily has been a backup for most of his seven major-league seasons, is hitting .247 with one home run in 89 at-bats this season.

But Ross, 31, a former University of Florida player, is serviceable and relatively inexpensive ($2.52 million this season with a club option in 2009 for $3.5 million).

He is a career .224 hitter, but hit 21 home runs in 2006 and 17 last year in the cozy confines of Great American Ball Park. Over his career, Ross has a 38 percent rate throwing out runners trying to steal.

The Marlins are less interested in Colorado's Yorvit Torrealba, Washington's Paul Lo Duca and Kansas City's Miguel Olivo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Today's Miami Herald: Marlins targeting Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    Wonder if this is an element of the front office "buzz" we heard about last night?

TEAM TARGETS REDS CATCHER DAVID ROSS

Although the catching market is thin, the Marlins are looking at Cincinnati Reds catcher David Ross as a trade possibility.

Ross, who primarily has been a backup for most of his seven major-league seasons, is hitting .247 with one home run in 89 at-bats this season.

But Ross, 31, a former University of Florida player, is serviceable and relatively inexpensive ($2.52 million this season with a club option in 2009 for $3.5 million).

He is a career .224 hitter, but hit 21 home runs in 2006 and 17 last year in the cozy confines of Great American Ball Park. Over his career, Ross has a 38 percent rate throwing out runners trying to steal.

The Marlins are less interested in Colorado's Yorvit Torrealba, Washington's Paul Lo Duca and Kansas City's Miguel Olivo.
    Ross is one of the worst defenders in baseball IMO. If the Marlins are willing to take the remainder of his salary (about a Million dollars or so) and his $375K buyout for next year, I say go for it and don't worry about the return. Use the modest savings to sign foreign players or to get the final bump to get Alonso in the fold. The Reds need to make room for a pitcher eventually to replace Thompson and a deal of Ross reduces the teams inventory of crappy catchers from 3 to 2 and creates a spot.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

We really need to took up the Marlins with a package of our fringe guys and get something useful.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Ross is one of the worst defenders in baseball IMO. If the Marlins are willing to take the remainder of his salary (about a Million dollars or so) and his $375K buyout for next year, I say go for it and don't worry about the return. Use the modest savings to sign foreign players or to get the final bump to get Alonso in the fold. The Reds need to make room for a pitcher eventually to replace Thompson and a deal of Ross reduces the teams inventory of crappy catchers from 3 to 2 and creates a spot.
    I wouldn't trade Ross just to make room for another player.

He's a very good back up catcher, as he hits LH pitching very well.

He's likley a big part of our catching next year. Valentin should be dumped if you need a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

He's likley a big part of our catching next year. Valentin should be dumped if you need a spot.
    He's hit better, but he still isn't a good hitter and defensively he's a DH back there. He's a catcher, but he really can't catch. He has a decent arm and gets a rep as a good defender as a result but its only because CS % is about the only stat anyone can easily find concerning a catcher's defense. He muffs plays at the plate repeatedly and lets balls through to the backstop all too requently IMO. The only thing that keeps him from being the worst defender in baseball who plays defense somewhat regularly is the fact that Ken Griffey JR still plays in the NL.

I'd dump him just to get out of the $375K buy-out for 2009. Dumping Javy is fine by me, but dumping Ross saves more money which makes it more of a positive IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-04-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    We really need to took up the Marlins with a package of our fringe guys and get something useful.
    The Marlins are one of the best evaluators of talent. IMO, the only reason they are looking at Ross is due to the leanness in the market for catchers and the serviceability of the contract.

I doubt they'd want any more of our dregs. Let's not push it!

If we trade Ross, which I have no problem with at all, it also means we then have to enter that same market the Marlins are in looking for some sort of serviceable catcher.

And if they were available, then the Marlins wouldn't be inquiring about Ross.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-04-2008 at 01:20 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

How long before Mesoraco might be MLB-ready? 2010? 2011? We've got to have SOMETHING before then. If that means sucking it up with one of the 3 we've got now...I'd lean towards Ross. None of the 3 are good defensively. Ross however has some pop, does have a solid arm and calls the best game of the 3. But he's still FAR from acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    How long before Mesoraco might be MLB-ready? 2010? 2011? We've got to have SOMETHING before then. If that means sucking it up with one of the 3 we've got now...I'd lean towards Ross. None of the 3 are good defensively. Ross however has some pop, does have a solid arm and calls the best game of the 3. But he's still FAR from acceptable.
    I would just as soon move all three Ross, Bako and Valentin and go with Hanigan and Colina. That's not how highly I think of Hanigan and Colina but how little I think of Ross, JV and Bako. I really don't think the Reds would lose a darn thing swapping catching with Louisville. In fact, it might be a small improvement overall. That's pretty darn bad.

How long before Mesoraco might be MLB-ready? 2010? 2011?
    On May 7, the catcher was promoted to Class A Dayton from extended spring training. Nagged by two injured thumbs, Mesoraco struggled last year during his pro season with the Gulf Coast League Reds.

There was a real good article on reds.com on him last month. He's currently at Dayton, doing well; but the coaching staff there says they are going to show patience and not rush him.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Last edited by GAC; 07-04-2008 at 01:31 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He's hit better, but he still isn't a good hitter and defensively he's a DH back there. He's a catcher, but he really can't catch. He has a decent arm and gets a rep as a good defender as a result but its only because CS % is about the only stat anyone can easily find concerning a catcher's defense. He muffs plays at the plate repeatedly and lets balls through to the backstop all too requently IMO. The only thing that keeps him from being the worst defender in baseball who plays defense somewhat regularly is the fact that Ken Griffey JR still plays in the NL.

I'd dump him just to get out of the $375K buy-out for 2009. Dumping Javy is fine by me, but dumping Ross saves more money which makes it more of a positive IMO.
    If PB is what you are referring to it is another easy stat to find, and David Ross only had 6 of them in 2007 and 4 in 2006...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I would just as soon move all three Ross, Bako and Valentin and go with Hanigan and Colina. That's not how highly I think of Hanigan and Colina but how little I think of Ross, JV and Bako. I really don't think the Reds would lose a darn thing swapping catching with Louisville. In fact, it might be a small improvement overall. That's pretty darn bad.
    Well, Hanigan is swinging a very good bat right now. I've tried getting a good answer about his defense and haven't gotten a very solid answer. If he's even average as a defensive backstop then he should be given a chance. I just can't see him doing worse than our current trio of suckness.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Rumor has it they are looking at Weathers as well.. perhaps a package of Ross and Weathers for the Jorge Cantu guy?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What he said.

If PB is what you are referring to it is another easy stat to find, and David Ross only had 6 of them in 2007 and 4 in 2006...
    But lots of balls called WP that should have been caught and that doesn't show up in the stats. There just aren't any reliable defensive stats and that is twice as true for the catcher position. Its hard to notice how bad a catcher is. When you notice, it means he's awful.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Rumor has it they are looking at Weathers as well.. perhaps a package of Ross and Weathers for the Jorge Cantu guy?
    Cantu is exactly the kind of return you DON"T want. You don't trade one rent-a-player for another.

Get some kids with some upside...even if they're several years away.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Well, Hanigan is swinging a very good bat right now. I've tried getting a good answer about his defense and haven't gotten a very solid answer. If he's even average as a defensive backstop then he should be given a chance. I just can't see him doing worse than our current trio of sucikness.
    I think you could say he is at least average defensively. He has a .992 fielding percentage this year, and has committed only 3 errors in Louisville this year. Most important, he has thrown out 26 of 75 baserunners this year. I can't speak to his ability to handle a pitching staff; maybe someone else can.

Turn Off Ads?