Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopper to DL, Harang Skipped, Fogg to start tommorrow.

got alil captain in u?

Hopper to DL, Harang Skipped, Fogg to start tommorrow.

Per Fay

Dusty Baker had a lot to share with the writers this morning:

--Norris Hopper will go on the DL tomorrow. He'll have "Tommy John" surgery on his right elbow Tuesday. He's been dealing with injury pretty much all year. "It just got unbearable," he said. "It hurts to swing the bat. At certain point in my swing, I'd cut it off when I'd feel the pain." That explains why Paul Bako pinch-hit against left-hander the other night. "I wasn't crazy," Baker said. "All Hopp could do is pinch-run or bunt."

--Aaron Harang will be skipped tomorrow. Harang has tightness in his forearm. He dealt with the same thing last year. Skipping one start remedied it.

--Josh Fogg will make the start tomorrow. The Hopper move will open a roster spot for him. Fogg has been very good in five rehab starts. If he can put together a string of decent starts, it would greatly enhance the Reds' chance of moving him at the trade deadline.

Here's the lineup:

Jerry Hairston Jr. ss

Jay Bruce cf

Ken Griffey Jr. rf

Brandon Phillips 2b

Adam Dunn lf

Jeff Keppinger 3b

Joey Votto 1b

Paul Bako c

Bronson Arroyo p

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hopper to DL, Harang Skipped, Fogg to start tommorrow.

No one thinks this could maybe be because Harang is the piece in a trade rather than Arroyo, and his arm is just fine?

RotoHester

If the Reds are dealing Harang they better get a TON in return.

As for skipping his spot in the rotation this week, hopefully this will be the rest he's needed and the "Old Aaron" will return post-All Star Break.

Just great...I decide to make the trip down for a game on the 5th and it turns our Harang is pitching against the nationals. Now I've blown money to see Josh Fogg pitch most likely 3 innings of 8 run baseball, great.

Quote Originally Posted by Noosh View Post
    No one thinks this could maybe be because Harang is the piece in a trade rather than Arroyo, and his arm is just fine?
    No, my gut instinct is that this isn't smoke and mirrors. But then again, my gut has been wrong before, like that time it told me that I could handle one more bowl of chilli...

Finally!

Harang has needed this skipped start for a while.

He'll not only get this one, but hopefully the All-Star break will give him more than the normal rest also and we'll see after this skipped start the Harang that we're used to seeing, one that posts an Opposing OPS around 7.00.

They say, "tightness in his forearm", which is another way of saying, "his arm is tired".

Since Fogg is taking his spot, I assume that Affeldt will be taking Thompson's spot as he pitched the same day as Thompson.

Now, Arroyo is the last one that needs rest, but if he's not going to be here, then he'll be someone else's problem. If they still want him to be a RED in 2009, then he needs more than one skipped start,....he needs a DL-stint.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Just great...I decide to make the trip down for a game on the 5th and it turns our Harang is pitching against the nationals. Now I've blown money to see Josh Fogg pitch most likely 3 innings of 8 run baseball, great.
    Fogg is much more likely to pitch a better game on that day than Harang would have thrown.

You should see a great game. The REDS have been having one of their best home seasons in the last 20 years.

Hopefully Fogg can dominate to increase his trade value, but that's asking a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Since Fogg is taking his spot, I assume that Affeldt will be taking Thompson's spot as he pitched the same day as Thompson.
    With the all-star break and a couple days off coming up, I don't think they're going to need a fifth starter for a while. I think they'll go four-man rotation until after the all-star break.

I don't want to trade Fogg. I want him to stay here the rest of the season in order to keep from using Thompson or Bailey again and also in order to replace the possibly departing Arroyo.

got alil captain in u?

I don't want to trade Fogg. I want him to stay here the rest of the season in order to keep from using Thompson or Bailey again and also in order to replace the possibly departing Arroyo.
    I agree there paying him to be the 5th starter, and he's shown in his career he can go out and get you 8 to 10 wins as a 5th starter.

Fogg is much more likely to pitch a better game on that day than Harang would have thrown.

You should see a great game. The REDS have been having one of their best home seasons in the last 20 years.
    I'm hoping it will be a good one, the last 2 times I've made the trip down I got to watch Milton pitch, and then Joe Mays give up a granny in the first inning vs the White Sox. I was pumped about seeing Harang as he is my favorite reds pitcher.

However, if Fogg throws a good 7 innings that will be better to see for the state of the team then Harang pitching.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 07-04-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added to it

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    With the all-star break and a couple days off coming up, I don't think they're going to need a fifth starter for a while. I think they'll go four-man rotation until after the all-star break.
    Harang
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Fogg

They have five starters. Fogg is essentially replacing Thompson, despite pitching in Harang's spot. The day off monday should solve problems with the rotation or the need to start Affeldt or anyone on short rest. Harang is set to pitch Tuesday.

man i hope Fogg finally delivers
    i have tickets to the game
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

I was hoping that we wouldn't have to see Fogg at all but with Harang needing rest its a moot point.
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 07-04-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Turn Off Ads?