Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: 7/4/08 - Reds vs. Nats, Happy 4th of July

Re: 7/4/08 - Reds vs. Nats, Happy 4th of July

2 outs on the bases. Have I mentioned that I don't think very highly of Dusty Baker's ability to manage a ballgame?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Has it not been established that Votto cannot steal bases already?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Votto caught stealing. 3 down. 3-0 Reds at the end of 8. Cordero set to come in.

So the Reds gave away all three outs in that inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    3 steals, 3 caught stealing. Not exactly a great percentage. Of course part of that falls on the shoulders of the people who choose to send him at the wrong times.

AK failure beacuse of Ray King? Right.....while that did not help for a bout a year after it happened...to still lay blame for that on his career? Really? Anybody ever blame the players around here? I say it's Bob Boone's fault...as always.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    And see, I look at it the other way. Bray or Burton in the 7th, Hererra in the 8th then Cordero in the 9th. Hererra is the perfect foil to the hard throwers surrounding him. That change of pace would only make Cordero look that much nastier.

Now if Cueto or Volquez were starting, I'd come straight in with Danny and then go to the cannons.
    Problem is that hitters will eventually catch on to Herrera. Once they adjust to him and understand what's coming, he'll have some troubles. I just can't see exposing him night after night in the eighth inning.

I see Herrera as a lefty to be spotted at different points in the game against one or two hitters.

No way I would take Burton out of the eighth, unless he ultimately becomes the closer.

As for Bray, I don't think he is sufficiently reliable for the eighth. Perhaps his best role is as a sixth-seventh inning guy. I would like to see the Reds occasionally using Bray for two innings, since he has shown in the past that he can handle that.

Overall, next year, I wouldn't mind Roenicke, Bray, Burton and Cordero as the 7th-9th inning guys. I wouldn't mind Lincoln and Herrera competing for other spots. I would like to see another workhorse type for the middle innings, someone who can handle a heavy workload.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    See Dunn/EE being told to bunt and Ken Griffey Jr not being subject to defensive replacement --- actual skill is second to Dusty's imagination.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Cordero in. Lo Duca, Lopez & pinch-hitter.

This would be the third shutout by Reds pitchers in there last 13 games and fifth this season.

Lo Duca leadoff single to right.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This would be the third shutout by Reds pitchers in there last 13 games and fifth this season.
    SHHHHHH! Don't let them hear you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Problem is that hitters will eventually catch on to Herrera. Once they adjust to him and understand what's coming, he'll have some troubles. I just can't see exposing him night after night in the eighth inning.

I see Herrera as a lefty to be spotted at different points in the game against one or two hitters.

No way I would take Burton out of the eighth, unless he ultimately becomes the closer.

As for Bray, I don't think he is sufficiently reliable for the eighth. Perhaps his best role is as a sixth-seventh inning guy. I would like to see the Reds occasionally using Bray for two innings, since he has shown in the past that he can handle that.

Overall, next year, I wouldn't mind Roenicke, Bray, Burton and Cordero as the 7th-9th inning guys. I wouldn't mind Lincoln and Herrera competing for other spots. I would like to see another workhorse type for the middle innings, someone who can handle a heavy workload.

I shouldn't have stated it the way I did. I just mean that he should be up here to break up the cannons. I prefer Burton in the 8th and Cordero in the 9th. And yes, short stints for Hererra would be best.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Wily Mo Wily Mo Wily Mo?

This ninth is not going too great. Two on, one out.

Turn Off Ads?