Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone collect baseball cards?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone collect baseball cards?

I just bought 3 boxes of 2008 Upper Deck SPx the other day, got some pretty big cards out of it. A bunch of autographs/jersey cards, a Griffey HERO game worn jersey card, and two autographed rookie redemption cards, one of Gonzalez for the A's and the other for .. Jay Bruce.

I got some SP Ledengary cuts on the way too. I've been taking advantage of the eBay cashback promotion thats been going on.

Re: Anyone collect baseball cards?

You might be interested in a discussion we had three years ago about older cards and collecting...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41168

Ah, interesting thread. I haven't been into it in about 10 years, and I used to collected basketball cards 98% of the time. I thought since eBay was doing this Live Search cashback thing for 20, 25% that it would be a good time to take advantage though.

always one of my favorite cards

How much were the boxes? I have a bunch of old cards from the 70's and 80's, but very few current ones.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    How much were the boxes? I have a bunch of old cards from the 70's and 80's, but very few current ones.
    I got them off eBay for $150 apeice, got three, but with the Cashback Live Search promotion they have going on, I got 20% off so like $100 back off of that. Basically if you goto the Live Search link and search for something, usually a videogame console, there will be an eBay banner link at the top of the search with the cashback thing. Then if you use it on a Buy It Now item and pay with paypal, in like two months you get the percentage back. Right now its at 10% though last I checked, which really isn't much of a deal - but I bought some at 20 and 25% ... at one point it was up to 35% ... I missed out on that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    I got them off eBay for $150 apeice, got three, but with the Cashback Live Search promotion they have going on, I got 20% off so like $100 back off of that. Basically if you goto the Live Search link and search for something, usually a videogame console, there will be an eBay banner link at the top of the search with the cashback thing. Then if you use it on a Buy It Now item and pay with paypal, in like two months you get the percentage back. Right now its at 10% though last I checked, which really isn't much of a deal - but I bought some at 20 and 25% ... at one point it was up to 35% ... I missed out on that one though.
    Thanks a lot. That does sound like something I'd be interested in.

Currently, I've been shopping for 1950s and 1960s Hall-of-Famers. Working on the 1961 set, which had almost 60 HOFers in the set. I am not working forward to the time I work back to the legendary 1952 Topps set.
    It's a lot of fun, actually. I've been grabbing them through eBay for the most part. Like everything else, the market is taking a hit and many cards can be had a lower-than-usual prices. The cards I have been grabbing are in pretty bad shape - but even so, even the Mantles are going at significantly lower prices than a few years ago.

They call me "chef"

One Christmas all I got was a box of that first year of Bowman's Chrome, which at the time was ridiculously overpriced. I remember going to some stores and they'd be going for $20 a pack. I remember people going gaga over the Hideki Irabu and Travis Lee refractor rookie cards with their country's flags in the background. Ben Grieve and Adrian Beltre were also very popular cards back then. Shows how silly all that Bowman rookie card stuff was.

I probably wasted, dollar value wise, tens of thousands in my bicycle spokes as a kid.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I probably wasted, dollar value wise, tens of thousands in my bicycle spokes as a kid.
    If I had a dime for everytime you've said this...

Don't stop- its becoming like the changing of the guard.

I got back into the hobby (being as frugal as possible) last year after getting a Topps Turkey Red blaster for $5. Since then, I've been spending money here and there, but haven't bought a box yet. Only blasters and packs. I've been trading for awhile at SportsCardForum, so that's been a fun way of occupying time.

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    I got back into the hobby (being as frugal as possible) last year after getting a Topps Turkey Red blaster for $5. Since then, I've been spending money here and there, but haven't bought a box yet. Only blasters and packs. I've been trading for awhile at SportsCardForum, so that's been a fun way of occupying time.
    Well hello there, I didn't know you posted on here. I'm reds1869 from SCF.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

I collect upper deck 08 SP Legendary Cuts. I don't know much about them though, trying to get a complete set if your interested in doing some trading or just shooting the bull pm me or aim me terpfaninbsg.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    I collect upper deck 08 SP Legendary Cuts. I don't know much about them though, trying to get a complete set if your interested in doing some trading or just shooting the bull pm me or aim me terpfaninbsg.
    I just opened a few boxes of them. I got an Adam Dunn/Ted Kluzuski card with a piece of Dunner's jersey and big Ted's bat in it, it looks really cool.

I would be interested in trading. I immediately put everything in sleeves when I open them, everything is in at least excellent condition, kinda pissed though a lot of cards nowadays aren't pristine when you open the pack anymore and sometimes have slight wear on the corners.

If you have a mystery redemption card, I would trade for it. I have a ton of game used/autograph cards.

Turn Off Ads?