Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP to Some Great TV

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

RIP to Some Great TV

Over the past 2 years, all my favorite shows have ended, and there just doesn't seem like anything else on now that I can invest myself in.

Loved The Sopranos. Hated the ending. Hated the whole final season, actually.

The Wire was the best TV show ever made. I was waiting for Lost to end before I made that declaration but I feel comfortable making that call now.

Lost was just an awesome show. Had some issues with the final season and the series finale but the show as a whole was just captivating.

24 was always a satisfying watch. Liked the finale and I am intrigued by the rumors spreading about a movie, although I am not that excited about the prospect of spending 24 hours in a movie theater.

Only shows left on TV that I make it a point to watch are Man vs Food, Chopped and Hell's Kitchen. The Office has completely jumped the shark and there are no drama/action shows that capture my interest.

Guess I have no excuse anymore not to spend more time reading and/or studying, and playing the guitar.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP to Some Great TV

It seems like every 5-10 years we reach a new generation of TV shows. It does feel like we're again at that point in time.

I didn't see Sopranos when it was going - seems to be a common theme for me - but I too wasn't crazy about the ending. Then again, I understand it.

These days, with so many reality shows, it's hard for me to get into television. I regret not getting into Lost much sooner because it turns out to be one of my favorite shows ever. I really don't like too many shows. I still love Big Bang Theory as probably the only real sitcom I appreciate these days. Can't say there's much else for me.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The only series I have left next season that I have watched regularly will be Chuck.

Retired

Justified on FX has been pretty good.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It seems like every 5-10 years we reach a new generation of TV shows. It does feel like we're again at that point in time.

I didn't see Sopranos when it was going - seems to be a common theme for me - but I too wasn't crazy about the ending. Then again, I understand it.

These days, with so many reality shows, it's hard for me to get into television. I regret not getting into Lost much sooner because it turns out to be one of my favorite shows ever. I really don't like too many shows. I still love Big Bang Theory as probably the only real sitcom I appreciate these days. Can't say there's much else for me.
    Reality shows blow, and they are anything but. The ex watches every "reality" show on TV. Problem is, if Bret Michaels truly ever found love on "Rock of Love," there could be no subsequent season. I won't even comment on that crazy Flavor Flav show.

I will admit that I passively keep up with "Survivor," only because I know that the winner shouldn't have any effect on the next season. The producers usually have to generate a brand new cast.

It's a shame you don't live near me, because I would lend you the entire series of The Wire as I have all of it on DVD. Check it out when you get some time. You won't regret it.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I miss The Shield.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I like the short season shows. Burn Notice, Psych, Leverage, In Plain Sight.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I miss the Shield too but just like it seems all endings are....they leave less than fulfilled. It is tough to close out any show. The way they terminated Law & Order was criminal. I like The Closer....but there does not seem much else out there. CSI is really circling the drain....running out of steam.

In the last 5 years....
    The Sopranos
    6 Feet Under
    The Shield
    The Wire
    Law & Order
    Lost
    ER

All my favorite shows besides The Office, 30 Rock and CSI...gone.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    The only series I have left next season that I have watched regularly will be Chuck.
    And that will probably be gone after next year, too. NBC will only give it so much time, and that sponsorship with Subway will only last so long.

I miss the half-hour sitcoms.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I miss Matlock

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Justified on FX has been pretty good.
    Another FX program, Sons of Anarchy, is on my new favorites list. I would also add Breaking Bad to that list.
    Last edited by FutureRedsGM; 06-05-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    CBS has a decent lineup of those on Monday nights. Big Bang Theory takes a few episodes to grow on you, but I'm really starting to like it.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You can find 6 of them every week on CBS with live audiences and three cameras like they should have.

Why does it seem like the cameramen on The Office or any NBC comedy are having seizures while trying to hold the camera still?

There are still a ton of great dramas on TV these days, however not as many reside on 'free' TV and the major networks.

Justified
    Rescue Me
    Mad Men
    Breaking Bad

With Lost gone I can't think of a single drama I watch on network TV anymore.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?