Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Take a flyer on a former number 1 pick?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Take a flyer on a former number 1 pick?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Take a flyer on a former number 1 pick?

No thanks.

Drafting Bullington #1 overall was just another awful move by Dave Littlefield.

If we had Dave Duncan I would say sure. But we have Dick Pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    If we had Dave Duncan I would say sure. But we have Dick Pole.
    Dick Pole AKA Jack Squat!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I have zero confidence in the Reds minor league pitching coaches to "fix" anyone. I almost want to see Homer traded to Oakland, for instance, just to see if an organization known for pitcher development would turn him around quickly. It would be another indictment of the Reds development system for pitchers.

It's not a question of fixing. The guy never had high end talent. As OBM said, it was an awful choice from the start. It was an omission that the Pirates had no interest in competing for top end talent.

He's 27, almost 28, and can't get AAA hitters out. At this point, with no projection, this is about as far as his talent takes him. Quite simply, he does not have the talent required to succeed in the majors.

Sign the guy and send him to dbl A and work with him. He has a live arm and compared to some in minors has possibility of promise.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

The Pirates called up Bullington for nearly two weeks earlier this season, but he was not used -- a sign that manager John Russell had no confidence in him.

Don't managers and GM's talk before moves are made? This doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense to me.

We don't need Pirates cast offs, especially bad ones.
    Go Gators!

I'd rather have a former number one draft pick with upside over a 30-year-old AAAA player. Maybe he could sign as a minor league free agent, and if he hits a hot streak in the minors, he could be used as a throw-in or traded for a PTBNL or cash.

I'm going to be honest............I made the trip down to Louisville last night on a whim, and watched the Bats play. Bullington has to be better than Adam Pettyjohn. I saw him hit 86 one time last night. Pettyjohn is 31, and walked 35 batters, while striking out 47 for the season. Bullington is 3 years younger, and has walked 25 batters, and struck out 60, in 75 AAA innings this year. His biggest problem is 90 hits in 75 innings.
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 07-06-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I'm going to be honest............I made the trip down to Louisville last night on a whim, and watched the Bats play. Bullington has to be better than Adam Pettyjohn. I saw him hit 86 one time last night. Pettyjohn is 31, and walked 35 batters, while striking out 47 for the season. Bullington is 3 years younger, and has walked 25 batters, and struck out 60, in 75 AAA innings this year. His biggest problem is 90 hits in 75 innings.
    I was thinking the same thing. His 90 hits allowed over 75 innings goes against what he normally allowed. You'd think Pittsburgh could've gotten something in a trade for Bullington, but maybe this is more about the message it's supposed to send to the organization about moving on and changing the losing culture.

Turn Off Ads?