Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't we do what the Rays are doing?

Why can't we do what the Rays are doing?

At this point, I'm all for a firesale. Anyone of worth we can trade and get prospects for, I'm down for - except the big four of course of Votto, Bruce, Volquez, and Cueto.

Tampa Bay is tearing it up with the second lowest payroll in the majors. I think we need to get younger and cheaper. I wouldn't be opposed to draining the payroll down to a low point, rather than taking the money we would invest in crapshoot free agents and reinvesting it into the minors. Whoever is Tampa's scouting team, give them a raise and sign them in here. Invest money in getting the most reputable hitting coaches- not just in the majors, but in the minors as well. Invest a ton in the draft.

It's amazing that Tampa has done this. Not only Tampa, but the Marlins -and TWICE. Yet, we're setting here just hoping someone comes up, and have a ton of money invested in players who aren't going to get us anywhere.This for the past 13 years trying to make the playoffs.

I'm just tired of hanging onto guys and investing money in questionable signings and overpaying for guys. While people want us to make a huge splash in free agency this year, I think that would be a mistake to put money into pitchers who have mediocre stats and overpay for them. It's time to go the Florida route and start building from within.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why can't we do what the Rays are doing?

I agree, even though we have all struggled through 13 years of no playoff baseball, the Reds have never actually committed to rebuilding. It needs to be done

I figure 20 other teams are wondering the same thing.

The first time Florida did it, they couldn't afford to keep everyone.

The Rockies did it last year, but it sure looks like it won't repeat itself.

Because we have not had the #1 overall pick for the better part of the last ten years

Old Red Guard Reject

I was at a Rays game the other night while on vacation and got a good chance to look over their roster and talk with some season ticket holders. They said that they have several guys having career years, a few horses in the rotation (Shields and Kazmir), some young guys that have been contributing (Garza) and some up and coming position players (Longoria, Upton, etc.). The Reds need to sell off the expensive contracts and go with the youth movement. If needed, you can always get some veterans at the trade deadline if you're in the race.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I agree that for the Reds to be succesful as a small market team they need to invest heavily in scouting, coaching and player development.

I do however disagree that the Rays have the blueprint of how to do it. The Rays this season are a confluence of 2 things

1.) a great farm system from 10 years of picking in the top 5 of the draft as well as getting prospects from trading away every decent player once they hit arbitration.

2.) Guys off the trash heap having career years. Have you seen the stats of their bullpen guys from last year to this year?

I will not be surprised if they are not back in the toilet next year.

I would prefer to build along the lines of what Minnesota does where you lock up good young players to reasonable long term contracts and have a strong farm system to supplement when you lose guys.

they will follow the marlins pattern.. good for one year.. TERRIBLE for 4.. if you want that.. great..

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    they will follow the marlins pattern.. good for one year.. TERRIBLE for 4.. if you want that.. great..
    better than terrible for 10, good for none i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    We have an 70-80 million dollar payroll year in and out, we have the money to retain a few of the studs, and not ship everyone out once they are good.

Their Scouting Department has done a lot better job, plus with the fact that they have had the #1 pick in Baseball more times in the last 10 years than anyone in Baseball...

When you are constantly picking between #5 - # 25, the chances of getting a can't miss aren't as good...

Tampa Drafts higher so they get the sure fires...

Example. Delmon Young, BJ Upton, Evan Longoria, Price, etc...

Those are 3 great great players, and when u miss with Stubbs and let Lincecum slip by, thats whats going to happen... But it doesn't matter... Howingtons, Nitkowskis, Oliver's, Mottola, Gruler, etc... All these guys hurt the system because they were not the next coming...

So being mediocre all the time 70-80 wins, and a scouting department for the last 20 years, that has basically been undepaid, and understaffed... Well, you don't get the can't miss talent, so basically you go on signing for Millions of Dollars...

Merker, Stanton, Patterson, Aurilla, Gonzalez... not to mention the players from 1996- now that have just been stop gap guys...

for mass players than basically don't do anything Long Term, just spend money, or the illusion of spending money... This team doesn't spend money wisely...

So, thats why I think the Reds cannot do what Tampa Bay has done...

Because we didn't have a top 5 overall pick 4 years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    better than terrible for 10, good for none i guess
    I thought that was funny as well

Because we have Duhhhsty Baker as our manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I will say the Rays are exciting to watch. I turned over to watch them play the Red Soxs last night. Lets see, stay tuned into the Reds getting pummled by another crappy team, or watch an exciting team on the upswing? Hmmmm

Unless it is an absolute CANT MISS player.. I dont know why you draft anything other than pitchers in the first 2 rounds.. position players are far more of a crap shoot..

Turn Off Ads?