Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RBIs - Hamilton, Griffey, Dunn

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

RBIs - Hamilton, Griffey, Dunn

Josh Hamilton: 82 RBIs in 334 at-bats
    Griffey and Dunn: 85 RBIs in 547 at-bats

(not sure if today is included)
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-04-2008 at 04:42 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RBIs - Hamilton, Griffey, Dunn

Hamilton - Actual Runners on Base: 252

Dunn - Actual Runners on Base: 191

Jr - Actual Runners on Base: 195

Just to add to the argument to commence.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Obviously Hamilton is the more valuable and productive player, I don't think that will be doubted. And as Mario pointed out, if you want to look at a team dependent statistic, such as RBI's, you need to evaluate the situation for all players involved. If Dunn was presented with the same opportunity as Hamilton has had, assuming his RBI production would remain constant, he would have roughly 65 RBI's (making him for the top 10 in baseball).... not too shabby.

Hamilton young...... Griffey old
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Hamilton hits third, Dunn 5th. Hamilton has HUGE protection in Bradley, Dunn has? Jr's skills have been declining, we all know that. Would Hamilton make one lick of difference in the Reds lineup right now?

nope, because EV would be 10-3 for the Rangers.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Griffey very large sample RBI 1737

Dunn large sample RBI 621

Hamilton career high, small sample RBI 129
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-04-2008 at 05:37 PM.

This just in: Dunn is not a great "RBI guy". He is a very good runs guy who often bats ahead of other poor "RBI guys".
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

A lot of the problem with RBI stats is there has to be runners on to get on (unless you hit a HR). The Reds don't get enough hits to put a lot of runners on. I imagine Hamilton would have far less RBI's if he played on today's Reds. When you're getting 5-7 hits a game, that doesn't leave many runners to drive in.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

This was on McAlister's blog. Just another "Josh Hamilton is the greatest player/human being on the planet" post from Lance. He loves him some Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    This was on McAlister's blog. Just another "Josh Hamilton is the greatest player/human being on the planet" post from Lance. He loves him some Hamilton.
    I love Hammy too, the kid is supertalented. Unfortunately Pitching costs so much and considering Volquez's worth to us now and in the future you can't help but be fine with dealing Hammy. I certainly would have tried to deal someone else for Volquez but reportedly the Rangers wanted Hamilton for him and wasn't going to budge.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I love Hammy too, the kid is supertalented. Unfortunately Pitching costs so much and considering Volquez's worth to us now and in the future you can't help but be fine with dealing Hammy. I certainly would have tried to deal someone else for Volquez but reportedly the Rangers wanted Hamilton for him and wasn't going to budge.
    Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot. I root for him on the field, despite his tendency to be overbearing with the "I'm on a mission" stuff. I'll always root for him off the field.

But certain people make it a point to mention Hamilton in relation to Dunn, which I find absurd. I also tire of the constant "story". At some point he has to become just a great baseball player...not a great story who plays baseball. I look forward to that point...hopefully not too long after the all-star break.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Code:
    Player 		Contact% BABIP 	HR rate BB rate K rate BB/K     FB%      GB%     LD%
    Josh Hamilton	.820	.333	17.2	11.3	5.5	0.49	322	.460	.217
    Ken Griffey Jr.	.821	.256	27.4	6.0	5.6	0.94	429	.389	.181
    Adam Dunn       .652	.248	12.7	3.8	2.9	0.75	482	.357	.161
    Code:
    RK PLAYER 	      RC 	RC27 	ISOP 	SECA 	GB 	FB 	G/F 	BB/PA 	BB/K
    20Josh Hamilton       67.2 	7.43 	.246 	.353 	130 	91      1.43 	.085 	0.54
    147Ken Griffey Jr.    42.2 	4.95 	.166 	.329 	93     101      0.92 	.141 	0.94
    162Adam Dunn 	      55.7 	7.09 	.284 	.542 	61      84 	0.73 	.201 	0.76
    Code:
    RK 	PLAYER 	   GP TPA	#PIT 	P/PA 	TB XBH HBP IBB GDP SH SF
    20 Josh Hamilton   84 378 	1400 	3.70 	185 41  2   2  5   0  8
    147 Ken Griffey Jr.82 341 	1348 	3.95 	117 26  1  12  6   0  3
    162 Adam Dunn 	   83 339 	1468 	4.33    135 33  4   4  4   0  3

....And Edinson Volquez is wayyyy better than any pitcher on the Rangers staff.

I'll take the pitcher, and Dunn, please.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    ....And Edinson Volquez is wayyyy better than any pitcher on the Rangers staff.

I'll take the pitcher, and Dunn, please.
    I differ just a bit, I am greedier.

They can have Griffey and Dunn also, give me two more Volquez's or Billingsley's or Masterson's and combination.

I have seen what those three guys can do against good pitching, nothing.

People keep forgetting, if Hamilton was here, he'd be playing CF. Thereby requiring him to bat leadoff or 2nd in Dusty's lineup. He wouldn't have 30 RBI's.

Turn Off Ads?