Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Cruz be had from Texas?

Re: Could Cruz be had from Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Belisle, Dorn & Tatum for Teagarden & Cruz?
    Why would the Rangers do that? Belisle will be freely available this winter for less than he costs right now. The Rangers are already deep in the OF, which is why they could deal Cruz in the first place (meaning Dorn would hold little fascination) and Tatum's a complete non-prospect.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Rangers have Cruz and three catching prospects. They want pitching. I'd be waving Bailey, Maloney, LeCure,Thompson, Jukich, Roenicke, Pelland (not all but one or two depending on which ones they want)and a reliever like Weathers or Affeldt for Cruz and Ramirez or Teagarden.

My offer: Bailey, LeCure and Affeldt for Cruz, Ramirez and Poveda.

People believe that Cruz can magically learn to hit at 27 years old, but don't believe the same about Hopper.

At least Hopper did it for a while in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    People believe that Cruz can magically learn to hit at 27 years old, but don't believe the same about Hopper.

At least Hopper did it for a while in the majors.
    Cruz actually has good power and is willing to take a walk, whereas Norris Hopper's only true skill is his ability to drop down a bunt. No one is saying Cruz is a lock to figure things out but I'd place my money on him being a more valuable major leaguer than Norris Hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Cruz actually has good power and is willing to take a walk, whereas Norris Hopper's only true skill is his ability to drop down a bunt. No one is saying Cruz is a lock to figure things out but I'd place my money on him being a more valuable major leaguer than Norris Hopper.
    All-around player? Of course. Cruz has been a better minor-leaguer than Hopper was.

But my point is that both players had a considerable jump in their minor-league production at around 26 years old. If you credit one for it, you should credit the other as well.

In fact, give more credit to Hopper because he was able to sustain it in the majors and Cruz wasn't.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 07-28-2008 at 12:22 PM.

I also want to throw out there that Teagarden is worth a lot more than people are giving him credit for. It would take a lot more to acquire him than what people are suggesting.

Nelson Cruz homered again tonight and now has a ridiculous 11 homeruns in his last 10 games spanning 44 atbats to give a total of 37 homeruns on the AAA season in only 345 atbats. His line is .348/.443/.733 - 1.176 and he also has 24 stolen bases in 31 attempts. Unbelievable. He turned 28 earlier this month but he's a guy I'd like to see Jocketty attempt to acquire. He could be the next Ryan Ludwick (who Jocketty also acquired) or at worst provide some solid right handed pop off the bench.

Check out his stats:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=443558
    Though obviously we're talking about needs as they pertain to the Reds, Dallas McPherson is also a guy putting up those kind of ridiculous numbers (sans the stolen bases). McPherson is putting up video game numbers in Triple-A, though unlike Cruz, there's not really anywhere to put him.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I also want to throw out there that Teagarden is worth a lot more than people are giving him credit for. It would take a lot more to acquire him than what people are suggesting.
    Let him struggle in the majors for a year or two and then he'll come cheap.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

What's this player's name again??? Roberto Petagine? Kevin Bass? Erinie Young? Oh, Nelson Cruz....he's more likely to become a minor league free agent than he is to become a successful MLB outfielder next season. Teagarden = worthwhile; Nelson Cruz = Jim Bowden-like pick-up...Let's go after players we can build a team around!

Bumstead

Apparently Walt is interested in Cruz as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?...eo&hcmp=motion

Cruz is up and had a nice season premiere last night. He was a triple shy of the cycle.

I saw Cruz got traded today and remembered someone had proposed going a trade years ago. I forgot it was me.

14. Likes:

M2 (07-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    What's this player's name again??? Roberto Petagine? Kevin Bass? Erinie Young? Oh, Nelson Cruz....he's more likely to become a minor league free agent than he is to become a successful MLB outfielder next season. Teagarden = worthwhile; Nelson Cruz = Jim Bowden-like pick-up...Let's go after players we can build a team around!

Bumstead

Survey said. Wrong answer!

2008? Man I wish we were back there again.

Can someone with some time run the numbers and see if Cruz did manage to top Norris Hopper in career WAR?

17. Likes:

HammerTime (07-24-2021),membengal (07-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I saw Cruz got traded today and remembered someone had proposed going a trade years ago. I forgot it was me.
    Holy smokes that post should be in the RZ hall of fame.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Turn Off Ads?