Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,531

    Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    And be a good one at that. It only took a couple of Shortstops to go down to find it out, but amazingly, Hairston has been fantastic.

    After tonight's 9th inning swipe of 2nd, he's 14 of 16 on Stolen Bases, while hitting .341 with an OPS of .869. At home he's hitting an amazing .451!

    Nice.

    That .869 OPS is 2nd on the team to Dunn's .895.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Jack of all trades Root Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    206

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    I'm loving Hairston at this point, the guy is and has been on fire!

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,021

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Everyone admit it. Maybe Dusty knows a few things we don't.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,531

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Everyone admit it. Maybe Dusty knows a few things we don't.
    Without a doubt.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Same way we found Keppinger. Nice to see guys making the best of opportunities.

    I'd love for him to come back next year and continue his solid hitting and overall play (Hairston).
    Who's on first?

  7. #6
    Jack of all trades Root Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    206

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Same way we found Keppinger. Nice to see guys making the best of opportunities.

    I'd love for him to come back next year and continue his solid hitting and overall play (Hairston).
    Hairston to CF! He wasn't bad when he was out there.

  8. #7
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Root Down View Post
    Hairston to CF! He wasn't bad when he was out there.
    I wouldn't mind if he and Bruce platooned for awhile. Bruce has taken better swings of late, but he's in no way the killer of lefties that Hairston is.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,531

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Kepp needs to rest that knee. It's really effecting his hitting (0 for his last 17). So, Hairston might be seeing a lot more Shortstop for a month.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,155

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Everyone admit it. Maybe Dusty knows a few things we don't.
    Duhhhsty didnt do crap for Hairston. Hairston earned the shot he got and he ran with it. Duhhsty was just smart enough to stay out of the way (most of the time).
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    21

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Kepp needs to rest that knee. It's really effecting his hitting (0 for his last 17). So, Hairston might be seeing a lot more Shortstop for a month.
    Have you actually been watching the games though? I'm more than happy with Hairston getting some starts at SS, but Keppinger looks fine. I'd say about 13 of those last 17 outs he has provided have been hit hard right at somebody. He's also made some impressive defensive plays in his last couple starts. I'm sure the knee is still a little sore, but he's fine.

    I'd say against lefties keep Kepp at SS and let Hairston play for Dunn/Bruce/Griffey. Against righties most of the time either Kepp or Jerry will probably have to sit, besides an occasional rest to Edwin, or a rare day off for BP.
    Hell, let Keppinger or Hairston play catcher. It sure won't hurt us defensively, and it removes a black hole from the lineup.
    Last edited by Noosh; 07-06-2008 at 02:44 AM.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    136

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    If you go through the Mitchell report, he's one of the only leadoff hitters.

    I hate rooting for him, because he cheated. But, Freel was a guy who walked around the clubhouse with syringes hanging out of his butt (I know a bat boy), so I guess its just its just part of the game these days.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    136

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noosh View Post
    Have you actually been watching the games though? I'm more than happy with Hairston getting some starts at SS, but Keppinger looks fine. I'd say about 13 of those last 17 outs he has provided have been hit hard right at somebody. He's also made some impressive defensive plays in his last couple starts. I'm sure the knee is still a little sore, but he's fine.

    I'd say against lefties keep Kepp at SS and let Hairston play for Dunn/Bruce/Griffey. Against righties most of the time either Kepp or Jerry will probably have to sit, besides an occasional rest to Edwin, or a rare day off for BP.
    Hell, let Keppinger or Hairston play catcher. It sure won't hurt us defensively, and it removes a black hole from the lineup.
    Keppinger is the best player on this team, and sitting him should not be an option.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    642

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    Keppinger is the best player on this team, and sitting him should not be an option.


    Good player but best on the team? Come on
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 07-06-2008 at 03:53 AM.

  15. #14
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    If you go through the Mitchell report, he's one of the only leadoff hitters.
    It's funny how no one cares about this if you can still produce and you don't hit home runs.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Who would have thought that Jerry Hairston, Jr. would be our leadoff hitter?

    Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    Keppinger is the best player on this team, and sitting him should not be an option.

    I don't believe Keppinger is healthy. He may be active, but he doesn't look like his usual self at the plate. I love Kepp, and think he is just finding his groove right now.
    Who's on first?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25