Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto promoted to Dayton; Waring placed on DL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Neftali Soto promoted to Dayton; Waring placed on DL

The Dragons also lost third baseman Brandon Waring, their top power hitter, whose X-rays from last week were re-read to reveal a hairline fracture in his left thumb. Waring suffered the injury in Fort Wayne a week ago while trying to make a tag while playing first base.

Waring did play in one game after the injury, but the thumb continued to bother him.

Waring will be put on the disabled list today. He'll be replaced on the roster by 19-year-old Neftali Soto, who is hitting .388 for the rookie-league team in Billings, Mont.

• Soto, from Puerto Rico, was drafted as a supplemental third-round pick by the Reds last summer and hit .303 with two homers and 28 RBIs as a shortstop for the Gulf Coast League Reds. In 15 games so far at Billings, he has hit four homers with 11 RBIs, postinga .423 on-base percentage and .746 slugging percentage.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html

Re: Neftali Soto promoted to Dayton; Waring placed on DL

It sucks that Waring got injured but I'm glad to see Soto get a chance to play in Dayton this season.

Alright! Explains why he wasn't in the lineup tonight. I can't wait to see this guy play. I may have to head to Dayton for a game. Hopefully he continues to progress through the system.

I agree with you guys...It will be great to see what he can do...If he is the type of player that can stick there, and plays well, then we could see that move for Waring to first when he comes back, or we could see Soto with the move to the outfield...

Not only did the Mustangs lose for the first time at home in five tries, they had their five-game winning streak end as well. And the team lost one if its best hitters in third baseman Neftali Soto, who was called up to Single-A Dayton late in the afternoon.

Soto was called up to help the Dragons offset the loss of Brandon Waring, who has been nursing a sprained thumb since last Saturday. Soto was second in the Pioneer League in hitting with a .388 average, and he led the team in RBIs (11) and was tied for the team high in home runs with four.

"We're going to miss him," Garcia said. "It's good for him, it's good for his career and he's really deserved it. The way he goes about his business and the way he works, it couldn't happen to a nicer person."

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...8-mustangs.txt

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not only did the Mustangs lose for the first time at home in five tries, they had their five-game winning streak end as well. And the team lost one if its best hitters in third baseman Neftali Soto, who was called up to Single-A Dayton late in the afternoon.

Soto was called up to help the Dragons offset the loss of Brandon Waring, who has been nursing a sprained thumb since last Saturday. Soto was second in the Pioneer League in hitting with a .388 average, and he led the team in RBIs (11) and was tied for the team high in home runs with four.

"We're going to miss him," Garcia said. "It's good for him, it's good for his career and he's really deserved it. The way he goes about his business and the way he works, it couldn't happen to a nicer person."

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...8-mustangs.txt
    I would think that this should be his 1st major challenge, I fully expect him to struggle a bit early on. But then I would expect him to pull a Valaika and start beating it up. Should be interesting and here's to hoping i'm right.

On the flipside Brett Bartles should be able to man 3B quite well for Billings.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Saw Soto play his first game with the Dragons tonight and he really looks good at the plate. He was 1 for 4 tonight with an RBI double. He hit the ball hard 3 of 4 times up tonight. In addition to the double he hit a hard line drive to short and another line drive to left just right at the fielders.

Defensively he has a strong arm at 3rd but can be wild with his throws. He had one routine play where he threw the ball about 10 rows up in the stands. But he had another harder play where he made a very strong throw to beat the runner.

I got to see Soto tonight. He was so new that they didn't even have his name on his jersey yet!

The ball sounded different coming off his bat. His double was an absolute laser.

On a side note, early in the game a line drive down the third base line hit a guy in the stands on the side of head. He was laying down in the lawn section and never saw the ball coming. Ver scary. My family was only about 10 feet away. It shook up my 5 yo intially. The guy was bleeding badly from the head and was very fortunate to have survived considering it came very close to his temple. The paramedics had to take him out on stretcher.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I got to see Soto tonight. He was so new that they didn't even have his name on his jersey yet!

The ball sounded different coming off his bat. His double was an absolute laser.

On a side note, early in the game a line drive down the third base line hit a guy in the stands on the side of head. He was laying down in the lawn section and never saw the ball coming. Ver scary. My family was only about 10 feet away. It shook up my 5 yo intially. The guy was bleeding badly from the head and was very fortunate to have survived considering it came very close to his temple. The paramedics had to take him out on stretcher.
    The same thing happened the last time I was there. A ball scorched down the 1st base line right in my direction, I was a bit froze but an older guy about a section or so over took it right smack to the side of his head. Security came out and then moments later paramedics, very scary indeed.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Thanks for the news. I wondered how long it would be before they promoted him. I'm cheering for him and not just because he is on my fantasy team!!

Bumstead

Soto gets it going after tough start at third

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Monday, July 07, 2008

DAYTON — Neftali Soto had a rough start to his Dayton Dragons career Sunday, July 6, but what would you expect after he caught a flight at 6 a.m. from Billings, Mont., where he was playing in the rookie Pioneer League?

And he made up for it fast.

"I'm excited to be here," said Soto, who was told just prior to Saturday night's game at Billings.

Soto arrived in Dayton in the middle of the afternoon in time for batting practice and to find out he was playing third base and batting third. He had been hitting .388 at Billings, and the Dragons needed a third baseman after discovering Brandon Waring has a hairline fracture on his left thumb.

"When you call a guy up to the big leagues, it's usually not to sit," Dragons manager Donnie Scott said. "That's the way it is here, too."

In the first inning, Soto — just 19 — grounded into a double play. In the second, he threw away a grounder that led to a West Michigan run. In the fourth, he made a longer, more difficult throw, and it was perfect.

Then, in the bottom of the fourth, Soto knocked in one run with a double to right and scored from third on a wild pitch. Soto is a high-profile prospect. He was a supplemental first-round draft pick last year.

Waring will return

Waring, meanwhile, thinks he can return to the lineup in as little as a week or 10 days.

Originally, Waring thought he only sprained the thumb.

"We had X-rays taken in Midland, Mich. (where the Dragons were playing), and the doctor said he didn't see anything (wrong)," Waring said. "We brought the X-rays here, and as soon as the light went on, our doctor said, 'Oh, you have a broken thumb.' "

Although it will take about four weeks for the thumb to heal completely, Waring said he will be able to play with a thumb brace. He leads the Dragons with 15 homers and 47 RBIs.

Scott and Scott

David Scott, manager Donnie Scott's son, is visiting this week. He played with the GCL Reds in rookie ball last season, hitting .293 with two homers and 22 RBIs. He's now working in Florida, near his home. Scott played with current Dragons Kevyn Feiner, Devin Mesoraco, Justin Reed, Neftali Soto, Jonathan Conatser, Jeremy Horst, Kyle Lotzkar and Curtis Partch.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s/...gonsnotes.html

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Soto is a high-profile prospect. He
    http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s/...gonsnotes.html
    Supplemental THIRD round pick Marc. Come on buddy.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Jim Callis (BA) Espn.com chat:

Ben (Centerville, OH): Has Reds Low A prospect Neftali Soto hitting .400 through his first week in the pitcher friendly midwest league at 19 years of age caught the eye of the good folks at BA? What kind of player does Soto project as?

Jim Callis: (2:17 PM ET ) A pretty good one. You can make a case that he's the best prospect in the system, though I went with Todd Frazier and Yonder Alonso will claim that distinction once he signs.

That article said Waring will return in a week to 10 days. tomorrow it will be 10 days. Any word?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That article said Waring will return in a week to 10 days. tomorrow it will be 10 days. Any word?
    Waring said pregame today that he was ready to hit today, but probably won't be ready to field for a few more days. He could be activated any day now, since they use a DH.

Turn Off Ads?