Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So ... will THIS finally be the time we get momentum?

So ... will THIS finally be the time we get momentum?

Or are we gonig to go back in the crapper on Tuesday and lose a series against the Cubs or get swept? 4 games is the second longest winning streak we've had, as sad as that is.

- This week we take three in a row versus Cleveland and Pittsburgh, then blow an 11 inning game against Pittsburgh enroute to losing the series

- Win 7 of 9 against SD, Atlanta, and Pitt at the end of May, then go 5-12 up until the Yankees series.

This team can't seem to handle any sort of prosperity. At this point I'm pretty much expecting to lose 4 or 5 of the next 6, maybe all 6.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So ... will THIS finally be the time we get momentum?

I don't expect this team to contend anyway, but it would be nice to see them at least get to .500 this season..........the talent is there to do that. I personally think the Cubs are just alot better than anyone else in the division (as the Cards are finding out), but maybe we can catch them with there pants down following two emotional series with the White Sox and Cards.........who knows maybe we can steal 2 out of 3. However, losing a series to this Cubs team is in no means going to shock or disappoint me (unlike the Pirate series).

After careful consideration, I'll bet crapper.

It's great when you put together a 4 game sweep and are still 4 games under .500.

I predict this team will oscillate between 3 and 8 games under the rest of the way.

I honestly believe this team is hitting their stride. I think we will peek above .500 and stay there by season's end.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I don't think this team is going to hit any "stride" at all. I gave up on this season some time ago and a 4 game sweep of, perhaps, the worst team in baseball on our home field is not going to change my mind. We faced, with the exception of John Lannan, AAA pitching this weekend and we never once blew them out or scored an abundance of runs. Don't get me wrong - I was thrilled with the sweep, regardless of the competition - 4 game sweeps are rare.

The weird thing is, a sustained winning streak may actually be bad for us. This team is simply not going to win anything this year. Not going to happen. However, if we string together a few more wins and end up in striking distance of the WC, Cast & Co. may decide to become buyers rather than sellers and cause the same problems 2005 did for the franchise. This is a very imperfect team with many holes that need to be fixed.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    The weird thing is, a sustained winning streak may actually be bad for us. This team is simply not going to win anything this year. Not going to happen. However, if we string together a few more wins and end up in striking distance of the WC, Cast & Co. may decide to become buyers rather than sellers and cause the same problems 2005 did for the franchise. This is a very imperfect team with many holes that need to be fixed.
    If they keep those bought pieces and add to them in the off-season, the club will not be hurt in the least. Holes are made to be filled. It all comes down to how much they are willing to spend. BCast has some seriously deep pockets. The question is will he open them up?

Wow....my first post. Maybe I will have something reasonable to add from time to time.

I believe this team has the ability to compete for a .500 finish but not much better than that. They need to resolve where they stand with Dunn and Griffey and get what they can for Weathers. I just don't see how the Reds can contend with the Cubs and Brewers for the next couple of years, unless something changes and they decide to spend some money?

Anyway, there's my first post. I've been a Reds fan for 30+ years and now live up by Chicago...Cub fans...pfft...

Bumstead

Gary Redus Ruled

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Wow....my first post. Maybe I will have something reasonable to add from time to time.

I believe this team has the ability to compete for a .500 finish but not much better than that. They need to resolve where they stand with Dunn and Griffey and get what they can for Weathers. I just don't see how the Reds can contend with the Cubs and Brewers for the next couple of years, unless something changes and they decide to spend some money?

Anyway, there's my first post. I've been a Reds fan for 30+ years and now live up by Chicago...Cub fans...pfft...

Bumstead
    Bravo and welcome!
    Hoping for another Reds October

Crosley Field Fan

Fools Gold...the Reds always seem to get hot before the trade deadline and then cool off again once the deadline is past. Either they are an early July team or ...you fill in the blank

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Fools Gold...the Reds always seem to get hot before the trade deadline and then cool off again once the deadline is past. Either they are an early July team or ...you fill in the blank
    That is why Jockety is here.. to stop the rut.

Wow...sometimes it seems like people want us to lose, so we can trade good players, only to get unproven prospects back, so we can maybe win in three years.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    Wow...sometimes it seems like people want us to lose, so we can trade good players, only to get unproven prospects back, so we can maybe win in three years.

Interesting.
    yeah ive noticed that 2

I don't want them to make a run, because I don't think it will be enough, and then we will be stuck with the same old same old, and have not made any changes. If we're going to make a run, I want it to be in August and September as a preview of what could be next year.

Other teams have dumped big names and then gone on a run. It doesn't always have to do with getting prospects or new players. Sometimes it's simply remixing the guys already here that remain, a change here or there in the lineup, new guys getting a chance and responding with passion unlike the deadweight that was clogging the lineup. There are lots of reasons to think change could be for the better. Mainly because NO CHANGE has resulted in the same thing for the past 8+ years.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I don't want them to make a run, because I don't think it will be enough, and then we will be stuck with the same old same old, and have not made any changes. If we're going to make a run, I want it to be in August and September as a preview of what could be next year.

Other teams have dumped big names and then gone on a run. It doesn't always have to do with getting prospects or new players. Sometimes it's simply remixing the guys already here that remain, a change here or there in the lineup, new guys getting a chance and responding with passion unlike the deadweight that was clogging the lineup. There are lots of reasons to think change could be for the better. Mainly because NO CHANGE has resulted in the same thing for the past 8+ years.
    We certainly need change. But a lot of people think dumping Dunn and Jr. is the magic bullet. Like it or not, those two provide a lot of production that has to be replaced. No one in our system (that is not already on the big league roster) is anywhere close to being ready for that. We need to trade those two guys and get quality in return OR let them walk at the end of their contracts and pick up the sandwich picks. Then we need to spend on some quality FA talent to mix in with our young studs. Waving the white flag and praying that the young guys will come through is not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    We certainly need change. But a lot of people think dumping Dunn and Jr. is the magic bullet. Like it or not, those two provide a lot of production that has to be replaced. No one in our system (that is not already on the big league roster) is anywhere close to being ready for that. We need to trade those two guys and get quality in return OR let them walk at the end of their contracts and pick up the sandwich picks. Then we need to spend on some quality FA talent to mix in with our young studs. Waving the white flag and praying that the young guys will come through is not the answer.

......and just how many playoff appearances have Junior and Dunn been involved in as Reds players?

I rest my case.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
    Who's on first?

Turn Off Ads?