Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ponies profile: Tom Browning: Back where it all started

Ponies profile: Tom Browning: Back where it all started

Ponies profile: Tom Browning: Back where it all started

First-year pitching coach Tom Browning is a member of the Mustangs Hall of Fame and the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame. He threw a perfect game in 1988, won a World Series in 1990 and went 123-90 with a 3.94 ERA in 12 big-league seasons. The Casper, Wyo., native began his playing career with the Mustangs in 1982 (4-8, 3.89).

On his Mustangs days ...

"I had good days, I had bad days, I had mediocre days. I learned what it was like to be on a road trip. I learned what it was like to have teammates. I learned what it was like to play every day. A lot of things came into play, you know, how fast the game got from a mental standpoint. And it was my first time to really have to deal with failure."

On his coaching style ...
    "I'm very big on (the players) staying under control out there on the mound, don't let anybody know what you're thinking. I keep it light; I'm not afraid to make light of a lot of situations. I will teach them to laugh at themselves because they're going to stink. I stunk. There were days when I wasn't very good, and I told them, 'You're going to have those days. So be prepared for them. Don't expect them, but be prepared for when you stink, because you're going to stink.' "

On his perfect game against the L.A. Dodgers ...

"I felt like I was in total command of the strike zone that day. It wasn't my proudest moment ... my proudest moment was winning the World Series (in 1990). But as far as an individual performance, just the command I had that game. I threw a lot of strikes. I didn't miss my target much. I just remember I was dotting everything. I was just enjoying the ride."

On the 1990 World Series championship ...

"My favorite year, obviously. I tell everybody this: You can give me any name you want on that team, and I can tell you something he did that helped us win a ball game. So everybody contributed. We were a closeknit group of guys. Outfielders, infielders, pitchers, catchers, blacks, whites, Latinos, we all hung together, it didn't matter. There was no friction; we had our moments, but for the most part that was one team that enjoyed being around one another."

- As told to Mike Scherti

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic.../55-ponies.txt

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Ponies profile: Tom Browning: Back where it all started

Good stuff! Browning came to my Little League opening day (in Dayton) the day after his MLB debut in 1985. He was already scheduled and we were shocked he actually showed up. This was at Wright-Patt Air Force Base. Needless to say, I followed Browning's career very closely from that point on (I would have anyway being a diehard Reds fan, but I never forgot how neat it was to meet Browning the day after his MLB debut).

However, I forgot just how good of a career he had. Having a career ERA under 4 is very impressive, even in the pre-roid era. His career record is also impressive (and his overall resume is extremely impressive when you throw in the WS title and perfect game).

Turn Off Ads?