Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who do you think will start the All-Star game for the NL?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aaron Cook, COL

0 0%
  • Ryan Dempster, CHC

0 0%
  • Dan Haren, ARI

0 0%
  • Tim Lincecum, SF

8 15.38%
  • Ben Sheets, MIL

0 0%
  • Edinson Voqlez, CIN

5 9.62%
  • Brandon Webb, ARI

39 75.00%
  • Carlos Zambrano, CHC

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will start the All-Star game for the NL?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Who will start the All-Star game for the NL?

Of the 8 SP named to the NL All-Star team, who do you think will be named the starter?

If you'd like, post who you would name the starter if you were the manager.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-07-2008 at 02:45 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will start the All-Star game for the NL?

Brandon Webb will start.

Volquez or Lincecum should start
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Brandon Webb will probably be the starter.

I'd name Volquez the starter if I was manager but my opinion is a little biased.
    Most Vottomatic Player

I think Webb will start. I think Volquez is the most deserving based just on this year's stats. However, I'd have Webb start, as I think the AS Game is about an established level of performance.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

EV could probably use some rest. I'd be fine with him sitting in the dugout and watching the game unfold, never being used.

Here are some basic stats. Aaron Cook and Carlos Zambrano stole spots from Johan Santana and Cole Hamels.

Code:
    			GS	IP	ERA	WHIP	 SO	 W-L
    Aaron Cook, COL  	19	132.2	3.66	1.29	 64	11-6
    Ryan Dempster, CHC 	18	111.0	3.24	1.18	 93	 9-3
    Dan Haren, ARI 		18	117.2	2.83	0.98	103	 8-5
    Tim Lincecum, SF 	18	115.2	2.49	1.24	122	10-1
    Ben Sheets, MIL 	17	117.0	2.77	1.11	 97	10-2
    Edinson Voqlez, CIN 	18	110.2	2.36	1.25	116	11-3
    Brandon Webb, ARI 	18	118.0	3.43	1.16	100	12-4
    Carlos Zambrano, CHC 	17	112.1	2.96	1.31	 73	 9-3

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Webb has been named the starter. May have been the same outlet where I saw Junior was starting, so it could be wrong. Not sure where I saw it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Webb has been named the starter. May have been the same outlet where I saw Junior was starting, so it could be wrong. Not sure where I saw it though.
    Yeah, that was the NY Post article that seemed to not know what they were talking about.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I was a little surprised to see Lohse not make the team. At 10-2 and 3.61 he seems a pretty good fit to me. If asked, I'd take him over Zambrano who's been hurt, but that might just be me.

As for starter, I think it will be Webb. If I'm the manager, I use Webb any way. He's the proven guy. The All Star game is about stars and why not have the best you've got (over a few years) get the nod in the first inning.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

The Giants have shuffled their rotation to where Lincecum will start the Sunday game before the All-Star game so that pretty much eliminates him from starting the game.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I was a little surprised to see Lohse not make the team. At 10-2 and 3.61 he seems a pretty good fit to me. If asked, I'd take him over Zambrano who's been hurt, but that might just be me.
    I'd love to show a group of people a set of stats with W-L and another group the same set without it. It's pretty hard to make a case that Lohse has been a better pitcher than Johan Santana, Jair Jurrjens, Chad Billingsley, Tim Hudson, or Cole Hamels, but they don't have his W-L record.

Code:
    		IP	ERA	WHIP	SO	BB	H	 W-L
    Lohse		112.1	3.61	1.26	56	28	114	10-2
    Pitcher X	100.0	3.60	1.31	59	32	99	 4-9
    If Lohse is an all-star, then John Lannan has a case too..... W-L... uggh. Worst stat in baseball.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-07-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Pat Burrell and Johan Santana were snubbed. Ryan Ludwick shouldn't have made it IMO. He had two strong months and then fell back to earth in June.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

All I know is that I don't want EV to throw 1 pitch in the ASG.

While it would be great to showcase his electric arm to all of baseball, the last thing I want is our compliment to Harang to pull up lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    All I know is that I don't want EV to throw 1 pitch in the ASG.

While it would be great to showcase his electric arm to all of baseball, the last thing I want is our compliment to Harang to pull up lame.
    I have only seen a few innings of his last couple of starts, but his arm didn't look all that electric.....I know my sample size is small, but I just wonder if he does pitch, will fans say, "how did this guy win 11 games for the crummy Reds?"
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I have only seen a few innings of his last couple of starts, but his arm didn't look all that electric.....I know my sample size is small, but I just wonder if he does pitch, will fans say, "how did this guy win 11 games for the crummy Reds?"
    Well if you watched his first 15 starts you will know his arm is electric.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?