Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline

Re: Trade Deadline

Dunn isn't a target of GM's because he doesn't have a high enough TVQ?

Really?

2. Turn Off Ads?

The problem is that not even the Sabermatic GM's have shown much interest in Dunn (ie JP Riccardi). However, I still believe Kemp could be had, and the Dodgers do like Dunn. Given their needs at SS as shown by their interest in Jack Wilson, I think it's pretty easy to see what it would take:

I think Dunn and Keppinger is what it would take to land Kemp. Would you do that deal?
    Go BLUE!!!

I think 29 other teams would LOVE to have Dunn. They just don't want to have to trade for him. In some ways it's like the Bonds situation. If he didn't come with that baggage, he would've been signed in a heartbeat. But baggage included, the math just doesn't work out.
    Agreed. They know the asking price will be justifiably high, and they don't want to have to justify giving it up to their fans/bosses. If he isn't traded, I think you'll see plenty of interested teams in free agency (but the offers will be in the 3-4 year range, and the best ones will be AL).

I would, but I really don't think LA wants him.

They've done their due dilligence and, for whatever reason, they don't see a fit.

Shrug.

Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I maintain that it's a combo of two things, the first being obvious -- some GMs don't appreciate the value he provides.

The second one is the one I think hurts his trade value the most: media/fan perception that he's an all-or-nothing slugger who is more of a luxury entertainer who puts on shows than that he's one of the top 20 run producers in baseball. For lack of a better phrase, his offensive production simply isn't taken seriously by the bulk of the public.

Any GM acquiring Dunn at the cost the Reds are demanding is basically saying "batting average and strikeouts are terribly overrated". While GMs may truly believe that and think that Dunn would likely be a big boon to their offense, they might not want to use their political capital trying to convince their fan base of it. And further, there's risk with any trade having short term goals. If Dunn didn't live up to expectations, the negative impact on the GMs reputation could be double as it would reinforce the inevitable critiques.

This is really the perfect storm for a guy like Ned Colletti. I think 29 other teams would LOVE to have Dunn. They just don't want to have to trade for him. In some ways it's like the Bonds situation. If he didn't come with that baggage, he would've been signed in a heartbeat. But baggage included, the math just doesn't work out.
    I think Dunn's value has been hurt far more by being a true three outcome player who has earned the reputation of being a defensive liability who now earns roughly market value while also being a rental player two seasons in a row.

In short, his market has been AL teams that are both in a pennant race and have prospects to burn for the privilege of paying a prorated $13M for a DH.

He's being shopped amongst the biggest pool of potential answers to the problem Jocketty is trying to exploit by putting Dunn on the market.

Whew....that was a mouthful.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The problem is that not even the Sabermatic GM's have shown much interest in Dunn (ie JP Riccardi). However, I still believe Kemp could be had, and the Dodgers do like Dunn. Given their needs at SS as shown by their interest in Jack Wilson, I think it's pretty easy to see what it would take:

I think Dunn and Keppinger is what it would take to land Kemp. Would you do that deal?
    Yes.

We would have our RH hitter to bat in the middle of the lineup and our centerfielder in one fell swoop. A left fielder to replace Dunn until Alonso is ready would hopefully be easy to find.

I like Kep but have my doubts about him as an everyday player plus his natural spot is 2B and Phillips is da Man there. Hairston may be Kep with speed.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

What if the Dodgers preferred Dunn and Hairston instead? Would you still pull the proverbial trigger???

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

In a millisecond as a Reds fan which is why it's likely that such a deal isn't realistic from the Dodgers perspective.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser View Post
    What if the Dodgers preferred Dunn and Hairston instead? Would you still pull the proverbial trigger???
    I'd pull that trigger even quicker.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    speaking of Bonds, I still can't believe he doesn't have a job. Tampa, Boston, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, LA & New York could all use his services. His being the best hitter in the game for several years has to account for something. I just can't see why a team would give up a whole lot for 1/2 a season of Dunn when Bonds is out there and you don't even have to give up players for him.
    You know, this could explicitly be part of the problem. How do you explain to the fans that you gave up something valuable for Dunn when you could have had a better version of him for "free"?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I seem to remember something about a steroids scandal following Bonds around like stink follows you-know-what.

I'm speculating that there is an unspoken edict from the Commissioner's Office that Bonds is to be left alone.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You know, this could explicitly be part of the problem. How do you explain to the fans that you gave up something valuable for Dunn when you could have had a better version of him for "free"?
    Nobody wants to root for Bonds.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Dunn and Hairston yes, Dunn and Kepp no.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Dunn and Hairston yes, Dunn and Kepp no.
    I'd do either without thinking twice and set my sights for going "all-in" on Tex with Votto moving to left.

How did Jason Bay get a reputation as an above-average defender? He's basically Adam Dunn with an average arm.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?