Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Cubs Acquire Rich Harden

Re: Cubs Acquire Rich Harden

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    it is high risk due to the fact of Hardens injury history. It is not risky in the sense that none of the players traded were integral to the Cubs success this year nor are they that important for the future.

I like the deal from the As perspective. After all the injury problems Beane just shined up Harden and got a deal he wanted.
    I like the deal for both sides.. The Cubs got a potential impact pitcher for the stretch run and playoffs and a useful relliever/swing guy for 4 guys that don't figure prominently in their long term plans.. The Cubs have money to replace all those guys they gave away easily.

The 4 guys the A's recieved obviously have a lot more value to the A's then they do to the Cubs. Much like the Cleveland CC trade, I think it's smart for a seller at the deadline to take a good offer when presented as opposed to waiting until the 11th hour and possibly getting nothing for a vet they don't want to retain.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I agree 100%. Hatteberg should have been traded. Aurilia should have been traded. Hairston should be traded.
    In all fairness to Wayne, all three of these guys were signed as castoffs and weren't particularly attractive. Hat and Aruillia had defensive shortcomings and were old.

Harrison is a little more interesting, but there's not going to be a lot of drooling over a 31 year old journeyman that suddenly puts a good 1/2 season together.

Wayne did do a good job of selling high on Pena.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I like the deal for both sides.. The Cubs got a potential impact pitcher for the stretch run and playoffs and a useful relliever/swing guy for 4 guys that don't figure prominently in their long term plans.. The Cubs have money to replace all those guys they gave away easily.
    The 4 guys the A's recieved obviously have a lot more value to the A's then they do to the Cubs. Much like the Cleveland CC trade, I think it's smart for a seller at the deadline to take a good offer when presented as opposed to waiting until the 11th hour and possibly getting nothing for a vet they don't want to retain.
    Win-Win answers both their objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I honestly don't understand what folks DON'T see in Sean Gallagher. His minor league numbers are excellent. The guy has a solid sinker he can throw around 90 MPH and he can work effectively in the 91-94 MPH range with the ability to fire 95+ when he feels like it's needed. His curve projects to be a plus and potentially a plus-plus pitch at the MLB level. The guy can bring the heater, knows what his effective working range is, and he's cerebral; a pitcher rather than a "thrower" at age 22 with really good stuff. I wouldn't suggest that he's a Brandon Webb-level talent, but he's already demonstrated that he can get MLB hitters out at a very young age. Surely he needs to work on his command, but the A's got a guy who projects really well and who's also been actualized versus MLB hitters with a good deal of success.

Add Murton and Patterson to that versus the promise of an oft-injured Harden and just a fairly decent reliever in Gaudin and you have a good baseball trade that meets the needs of both teams.
    I'm not as high on Gallagher as you are as I see him as basically a safe bet to be roughly league average (or a little above in his new environment). He's got three pitches right now that are roughly major league average. His fastball velocity is really just a tick above average (93 mph vs league average of 92 mph) but his excellent command of it makes it a great offering IMHO.

That said he's a really valuable arm because I think he's almost a sure bet to be a middle of the rotation guy and a half a decade of control of that is money in the bank.

Irregardless of minor debates about Gallagher's ceiling, I agree that it's pretty tough to see where those that think the As "got took" are coming from....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

High five!

Interesting thought from this article:

There is thought among other clubs that the A's might deal Murton or Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Interesting thought from this article:
    Here is also a quote from the same article:

Told that Gallagher will start at the Coliseum on Friday, Angels center fielder Torii Hunter said, "As long as it's not Harden, I'm happy. I'm happy I don't have to face him anymore."
    I guess I'd rather face Gallagher than Harden too but then again, Harden's arm might fall off before tomorrow night....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here is also a quote from the same article:

I guess I'd rather face Gallagher than Harden too but then again, Harden's arm might fall off before tomorrow night....
    The Angels got lucky, the Red Sox got him 3 times this season.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?