Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marty is Awesome (At Times)

Marty is Awesome (At Times)

From Fay
    Marty Brennaman's rant against Cubs fans from April has been getting plenty of air play up here with Reds back in town. But Brennaman, who's been up here since Sunday, hadn't heard much from the fans.

"I walked eight blocks to dinner last night," he said. "Nobody said a word."

He spent Tuesday afternoon at the Navy Pier, with his daughter, Dawn, and son, Thom, and their children. That's the first time it came up.

"Thom gave the guy the tickets for the ride," Marty said. "He said, 'Isn't that guy a baseball announcer? Thom. . .' Dawn said, 'Brennaman.' He said, 'yeah, I got a bone to pick with him.' She asked what about. He said, 'I'm Cub fan. He doesn't like Cub fans.'

Marty stepped in.

"I said you got the wrong Brennaman. We ended up talking for 15 minutes. It was great."

Brennaman did not go low profile. He was on the field before the game, wearing a bright red shirt.

"Thom's going to get a shirt that says: I'm not that Brennaman," Marty said.

Brennaman turned down all appearances on local shows.

"I've said all I'm going to say," he said.

The Reds and MLB provided extra security. You have to walk through the stands to get to the radio booth at Wrigley Field.

"I offered to sign 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame,'" Brennaman said. "They turned me down."

By the way this is what Brennaman said (it was right after a couple dozen balls were thrown on the field after an Adam Dunn home run):

"This is what makes you want to see this Chicago Cubs team lose. Among all baseball fans -- I can't attest to the Yankees and Red Sox because we don't see them with any degree of regularity unless it's interleague play -- but far and away the most obnoxious fans in baseball in this league are those who follow this team right here. Throwing 15 or 18 balls on the field, there's absolutely no excuse for that and that is so typical of Chicago Cub fans. It's unbelievable."

"Throwing the ball back, that's great, that's a Chicago Cub tradition that other teams have picked up on, and that's fine."

"It's ridiculous, it really is ... You simply root against them. I've said all winter, people talk about this team winning the division, and my comment is they won't win it because at the end of the day, they're still the Chicago Cubs and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty is Awesome (At Times)

"I walked eight blocks to dinner last night," he said. "Nobody said a word."
    Probably because no one recognizes Marty there or even cares?
    If I saw a Cubs radio announcer, I wouldn't recongnize him.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Marty is a fiesty old bastage. I love him (most of the time).

Marty is spot on regarding Cubs fans. They are beyond obnoxious.

Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Probably because no one recognizes Marty there or even cares?
    If I saw a Cubs radio announcer, I wouldn't recognize him.
    I doubt I'd even recognize any of the Reds guys except Welsh, he's got that eye catching mustache.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I doubt I'd even recognize any of the Reds guys except Welsh, he's got that eye catching mustache.
    you would recognize good ole George with that great tan and pearly white grin.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I can't believe Marty wasn't allowed to sign "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". Another typo from John Fay . . . I love it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I can't believe Marty wasn't allowed to sign "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". Another typo from John Fay . . . I love it.
    We can't see it on the radio, but Fay is well aware that Marty actually signs his entire broadcast of the game with American Sign Language for the benefit of the hearing-impaired. How strange that the Cubs wouldn't want him to use this skill to sign "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."
    /r/reds

Oh, he meant "sing".. I was wondering what he was talking about..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I just had a flashback to Garrett Morris....
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Fay would probably misspell his own name if it was more than three letters long.

Turn Off Ads?