Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What I miss about Cincy...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: What I miss about Cincy...

I miss Skyline even though I have one within an hour from my house. Gold Star, too. I like 'em both.

From the old days: Daily Donuts on Beechmont/Salem and the Paul Dixon Show, even though I was just a little guy when it was on.

Softball in the Summer at a park near Mt. Carmel (I remember you had to turn off of 32 near the Roy Rogers there). Township Park, maybe? They had a grill and bar, I think. Township Tavern? Something like that.

Even though it was nothing special, I miss Beechmont Mall. The fountain in the middle was always fun to thrown coins in as a kid. Shillito's, Mabley and Carew, Super X Pharmacy, Woolworth's and the little diner next door there. I have no idea what that is there now, but it's not a mall.

The old Uno's there, too.

Mt. Washington Bakery had a butter crumb cake that was to die for.

Man, I could go and on. I might be back in this thread.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Zip's
    Knotty Pine on the Bayou
    Nicholsons
    Party Source
    Blue Ash Chili
    Red Squirrel
    Aglamesis (sp?)
    Graeters
    Tellers
    Lehr's
    Camargo CC
    Blue Ash Golf Course
    The Links at Grand Victoria
    Cherry Grove Lanes
    that mini-golf place with the go-karts in eastgate that you can see next to 275
    Chipotle
    Taco Casa
    Dilly Deli

---- just to name a few....

Dilly Deli
    The Dilly Deli was a tad better when it was over in old Mariemont over by Harpers (IMO)... now it's too easy to find.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Cherry Grove Lanes
    That building has been everything since, hasn't it?

Unless I'm mistaken it was Ditto's, Shell's, laser tag.

Graeter's
    Montgomery Inn
    Reds games (in person or TV)

But mostly Graeters (although for about $60 they will send it right to your door step)

Good baseball.

Somebody had to say it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

And I want to clear something up (because I'm sick of people asking me about it) . . .

Germans do not eat goetta.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    That building has been everything since, hasn't it?

Unless I'm mistaken it was Ditto's, Shell's, laser tag.
    It's some kind of pirate laser tag now. Just crazy. There's a new bowling alley out back though.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    And I want to clear something up (because I'm sick of people asking me about it) . . .

The dish originated with German settlers from the northwestern regions of Oldenburg, Hannover, and Westphalia who emigrated to the Cincinnati area in the 19th century. The word "Goetta" comes from the Low German word götte.

Goetta was originally a peasant dish, meant to stretch out servings of meat over several meals to conserve money.

Many peasant dishes are no longer eaten in the age of disposable protein, Goat Shin meat was a big seller in Italy at one time too.

The park in Mt. Healthy (across from Assumption). I spent a good portion of my summers there swimming, playing basketball and other assorted nocturnal adventures.
    Worthmore's Mock Turtle soup.
    The Golden Tee in (I believe) Sharonville.
    NorthGate Mall.
    King Kwik (and those horrible Kwik Brothers commercials)
    Cincinnati Chili - any styling was fine by me.
    LaRosa's (Pizzas or Baked Buddy sandwiches)
    Cherry Freezes at the little ice cream place right outside Mt. Healthy park.- Cherry slush mixed with vanilla ice cream. Win, lose or draw after Little League baseball I was having me a cherry freeze. Yum.
    Mt.Healthy Drive-In. I was the smallest kid in the gang so I was the one usually in the trunk. Hey, lemme out!
    End-of-the-season high school basketball tournament at UC.
    Hitchhiking. You don't see them much anymore. I usually to love to hitchhike. Me and my buddies decided to go somewhere just stick out your thumb. Some excellent and a couple scare times for sure.
    Joanie Lee S. - 'nuf said.
    Oh yeah, beating Moeller or Elder at anything!

PS Goetta made me gag. There wasn't enough ketchup or syrup in the world that could help me to choke that down.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-09-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Blue Ash Chili, and what was that bakery/restaurant up the street from it that place was great.
    Gold Star
    Graeters
    LaRosa's
    Easily going to Reds Games
    River Bend, the Starlite, Coney Island, the Sunpool, etc.. from that area of the River
    Too much to name...

Darn this thread!!!
    (Anyone got any programming openings there)
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Blue Ash Chili, and what was that bakery/restaurant up the street from it that place was great.
    Gold Star
    Graeters
    LaRosa's
    Easily going to Reds Games
    River Bend, the Starlite, Coney Island, the Sunpool, etc.. from that area of the River
    Too much to name...

Darn this thread!!!
    (Anyone got any programming openings there)
    Servatii's, right? When I was in high school (almost ten years ago), that was where all the hot girls worked.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Servatii's, right? When I was in high school (almost ten years ago), that was where all the hot girls worked.
    Servatti's is still there. Pricey, but I'd say worth it.

I also miss The Back Porch out in TriCounty @ 747 & Mulhauser. The DA Burger is my 2nd favorite burger in Cincinnati behind Zip's.

Servantti's, that's it! Great stuff!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

They eat a lot of other stuff that makes goetta seem like haute cuisine though. Ever try Beuschl? How about Schmalzbrot? I've always been under the belief that goetta was concocted by German settlers to resemble something similar from the homeland, but with American ingredients. Kind of like how Irish Americans substituted corned beef for the Irish back bacon they couldn't find here in the US.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?