Jocketty remains quiet about trade plans
Reds' GM has his lips sealed as Trade Deadline approaches
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Trade activity has been generally quiet surrounding the Reds lately, but the CC Sabathia trade from the Indians to the Brewers appears to have unkinked the transaction wire.

With his club only four games under .500 entering Tuesday, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty hasn't publicly indicated whether his team would be buyers or sellers.

"I think things will start opening up more to react to that deal," Jocketty said at Wrigley Field on Tuesday. "I would expect to see things start to move a bit now. I can tell you I have been getting more phone calls."

Meanwhile, the Sabathia trade to the Brewers will have an almost immediate ripple effect on the Reds. He is scheduled to pitch on Sunday vs. Cincinnati after he already worked eight scoreless innings against them for Cleveland on June 27.

"It's a good move on their part," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "I just wish he had gone to another division. We have a lot of games left with [Milwaukee]."

A short time later, the National League Central-leading Cubs answered the third-place Brewers' trade by acquiring pitcher Rich Harden from the A's in a six-player deal.

The Reds will have 13 potential free agents at season's end, including Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. There have been no rumors surrounding either star player and interest is believed low. Scouts instead appear to be looking at reliever David Weathers and catcher David Ross. The Marlins, after losing starting catcher Matt Treanor to an injury, are reported to possibly have an increased interest in Ross.

Jocketty would not discuss specific players he could be talking about with other GMs. This could be a big week in determining which route he goes. If the Reds have a good six-game road trip through Chicago and Milwaukee before the All-Star break, the current team could stay intact longer. If it's a bad trip -- players could be more easily jettisoned if there's a match.

"We're trying to win as many games as we can," Jocketty said. "With this team we have, I think we're still a competitive team. We are a team that can continue to play well and get to .500. If there are things we can do to make us better, yeah. We'll look at whatever opportunities are out there that can improve the club in the present and future."

One move that shouldn't be expected is a trade of rotation ace Aaron Harang. A recently published report indicated Harang could be potential trade bait because Jocketty hadn't included Harang on his "untouchables" list. That story was downplayed.

"I don't want to get into who is available or not available," Jocketty said. "You can't ever say you won't talk about anybody. But it's pretty difficult to talk about certain players. And I would put Harang in that category."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin