Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Moves I would Make Now!

  1. #1
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    957

    Moves I would Make Now!

    We have got to be sellers at this point with what the Brewers and Cubs just did landing Hardin and CC. Here are my ideas:

    1) David Ross to Florida-the Marlins are desperate for a Catcher and he comes inexpensive...we get John Raynor a RH OF 24yrs in AA for organizatonal depth.

    2)Bronson Arroyo to Boston-the Sox get a guy who loves Boston and can bolster the back of the rotation to push TB in the division....we get Coco Crisp to play CF in 2009.

    3)Adam Dunn and David Weathers to Arizona- they need a power OF with Byrnes hurt and the West is still wide open for the taking, while also adding relief help in the Bullpen...we get an array of prospects-

    Brooks Brown-(AA) RHSP middle of the rotation guy.
    Ed Easley-(A+) RH C-he gives us a young catcher to team with Mesoraco
    Gerardo Parra-(AA)- RH OF has speed and bolsters our OF depth

    Just some moves to help in 2009 thoughts?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,363

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Look for Weathers to the Cardinals....

    Jocketty goes to the well he knows so well to help get this team....well, well.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  4. #3
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    What would we have to include with Weathers to get Bryan Anderson?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  5. #4
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    figure out some way to get Hill from the Cubs and Heilman from the Mets.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,570

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Over the next few weeks I would promote Chris Dickerson, Paul Janish, Matt Maloney and Josh Roenicke to the major leagues. I would move Weathers, Andy Phillips, either Arroyo or Fogg, and Corey Patterson.

    It's time to commit to the younger players and stop letting them foment in the minor leagues. These four seem about ready, let's get on with it.

  7. #6
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Over the next few weeks I would promote Chris Dickerson, Paul Janish, Matt Maloney and Josh Roenicke to the major leagues. I would move Weathers, Andy Phillips, either Arroyo or Fogg, and Corey Patterson.

    It's time to commit to the younger players and stop letting them foment in the minor leagues. These four seem about ready, let's get on with it.
    agree except for Janish ... unless he learns how to hit he is a career caddy at best. He needs to stay in the minors and work on his hitting.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,570

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    agree except for Janish ... unless he learns how to hit he is a career caddy at best. He needs to stay in the minors and work on his hitting.

    Janish can work on his hitting for the next ten years and he will remain a defensive backup, but potentially a good one. He's had plenty of minor league at bats. Give him a couple more weeks down there and bring him up. He is what he is.

    The Reds need to start to have a group of young guys working together to become a good young team. Janish's role is as a late inning backup infielder at various positions. Give him 600 more AAA at bats and that will still be his role.

    He was getting comfortable in the majors, making good plays, an occasional hit. Let him work with the other young guys. If ultimately he's no good then he will be let go.

    If the Reds have a significant group of young players in the major leagues, they will play harder, be more exciting and if the talent's there they will win. Janish, Dickerson, Roenicke and Maloney have had enough time in the minors.

    And before the end of the season I would consider bringing up others if they are equally ready as these guys.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-09-2008 at 12:49 PM.

  9. #8
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    He is what he is.
    fungible.

    a 25th man on his best day.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  10. #9
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    agree except for Janish ... unless he learns how to hit he is a career caddy at best. He needs to stay in the minors and work on his hitting.
    With regards to Janish, does anyone else think he has a 2-3 part swing? Just something I noticed but he doesn't seem very fluid with his entire swing. Kinda like Kearns has that jerk at the end of his swing, Janish seems to have one in the middle of his but just much more subtle. I could be reaching but it looks a bit mechanical too me.

    Anyway Patterson would definitely be sent down by me at this point and check out Dickerson to see what he is capable of. He is a guy we can remove from the 40 man after the season if he hasn't got what it takes. I assume they probably already know which explains why he has never been up.

    I wouldn't deal any pitchers at this point until we figure out exactly what Harangs issues are.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,570

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    fungible.

    a 25th man on his best day.
    I'm not arguing that Janish is a star, in time somebody better may well replace him. I'm arguing that I'd rather have him than Andy Phillips regardless of baseball skill at this moment.

    The team needs to go young. Bring up young stars; bring up young role players; bring up young starters; bring up young relievers. Keep some veterans but when there is a choice give the edge to the kid.

    The team I saw last night was basically dead. Get some young enthusiasm in there.

    I see four AAA guys who are ready to have some role on a major league team. Let's get them up here.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,646

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    What would we have to include with Weathers to get Bryan Anderson?
    They need Affeldt way more than they need Weathers.

    I think you'd get Anderson and Reyes for Affeldt and Bailey.

    That would be one to chew on.

  13. #12
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,346

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    We have got to be sellers at this point with what the Brewers and Cubs just did landing Hardin and CC. Here are my ideas:

    1) David Ross to Florida-the Marlins are desperate for a Catcher and he comes inexpensive...we get John Raynor a RH OF 24yrs in AA for organizatonal depth.

    2)Bronson Arroyo to Boston-the Sox get a guy who loves Boston and can bolster the back of the rotation to push TB in the division....we get Coco Crisp to play CF in 2009.

    3)Adam Dunn and David Weathers to Arizona- they need a power OF with Byrnes hurt and the West is still wide open for the taking, while also adding relief help in the Bullpen...we get an array of prospects-

    Brooks Brown-(AA) RHSP middle of the rotation guy.
    Ed Easley-(A+) RH C-he gives us a young catcher to team with Mesoraco
    Gerardo Parra-(AA)- RH OF has speed and bolsters our OF depth

    Just some moves to help in 2009 thoughts?

    While those are all fine and good, the other teams have to be willing to make those deals. And from what we've seen so far...none are willing.

    So, for arguments sake, I suggest we leave the trade-speculation out of it for now. Let's assume we're going to let Junior, Dunn, Weathers, Ross, Javy, Patterson and others walk at the end on the season. What do we get? 2 picks for each of Dunn & Griffey I'd assume. What about Weathers, Ross, Javy & Patterson?

    But what about the rest of THIS season? If we're not planning on these guys being with us next year...why are we having them hold back prospects? IMO, Junior sits. Period. Weathers sits, period. Anybody that we can send down to the minors...we do it. Let's get the kids up here, pronto! I understand that you coddle the young pitchers...but you're supposed to push the young hitters. We're not doing that. Hanigan, Janish, Rosales, Cumberland, Dickerson...all of them should come up. Are all of them going to be big league starters, probably not. But they all have the potential to be big league contributors and moving them up allows us to move up OTHER youngsters in the lower minors. In terms of pitchers...I think it's pretty obvious that Harang is either injured or mentally fatigued. Either way, we need him for the future. Shut him down. Maloney, Thompson, Bailey, Roenicke, Hererra and even Belisle should be seriously considered to be up here. Either in the rotation or the Pen. If we've got players on the ML roster that aren't in our future plans...move them and get the kids who ARE in our future plans up here.

    Not only does this bring excitement to the big club, but it gets them experience and most importantly it allows us to generate movement in the minor league system. Our best prospects are in the lower minors. Those bats need to be pushed a bit. Sometimes, young hitters struggle in the lower minors because they're facing pitchers who aren't nearly as good in terms of their control. Facing better pitchers will challenge them and allow them to focus on better pitches. Push 'em! The added movement in the minors gives us room for our upcoming extra draft picks from players leaving at the end of this year.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 07-09-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  14. #13
    Member red-in-la's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Santa Paula, CA
    Posts
    6,536

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm not arguing that Janish is a star, in time somebody better may well replace him. I'm arguing that I'd rather have him than Andy Phillips regardless of baseball skill at this moment.

    The team needs to go young. Bring up young stars; bring up young role players; bring up young starters; bring up young relievers. Keep some veterans but when there is a choice give the edge to the kid.

    The team I saw last night was basically dead. Get some young enthusiasm in there.

    I see four AAA guys who are ready to have some role on a major league team. Let's get them up here.
    AGREE! If for no other reason than to give US, the bill payers, a reason to tune these guys in the rest of the way.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,646

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Let's assume we're going to let Junior, Dunn, Weathers, Ross, Javy, Patterson and others walk at the end on the season. What do we get? 2 picks for each of Dunn & Griffey I'd assume. What about Weathers, Ross, Javy & Patterson?
    Firstly, you only get picks if you offer arbitration.

    Dunn is a Type A FA, and will get us two picksas we will offer him arbitration.

    It's unlikley Griffey would be a Type A, but it doesn't matter, as we won't be offered arbitraion (he would be guranteed no less than 80% of his current salary).

    Weathers would likely bring a pick, but there's no way we offer him arbitration.

  16. #15
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Moves I would Make Now!

    If the Reds trade Dave Ross, who catches in 2009? Do the Reds re-sign Javier Valentin? What about a 36-year-old Paul Bako? Do the Reds rely on the guys in the minors (Ryan Hanigan, Alvin Colina, Craig Tatum, et al)?

    If the Reds pick up Ross' option for 2009, he may be a little over-priced, but he might be worth it. Ross has a .778 OPS as a Red (and a .723 OPS in 2008). .718 is an average OPS for a catcher this year. The last time I checked, Paul Bako's OPS was .673.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25