Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Harang to have MRI on Thursday/Possibly hurt?

Harang to have MRI on Thursday/Possibly hurt?

The Real McCoy

So what’s the matter with Aaron Harang?

Something, obviously. Something bad, obviously.

Harang usually has the Chicago Cubs nibbling Cracker Jack out of his palm in Wrigley Field, where he was 4-1 for his career when he walked to the mound Tuesday.

What followed was painful to watch, unless you are a Bleacher Bum from Wrigleyville, almost as painful as what Harang MUST be feeling in his arm.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harang Possibly Hurt?

If he's hurt we need to figure that out now and get whatever corrective measures required enacted so he can be healthy next season.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I'd place him on the DL for at least a couple weeks. He hasn't been the same since that relief appearance. He's too valuable to this organization to risk further injury to him. Shut him down for a couple weeks or more and see what that does for him.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'd place him on the DL for at least a couple weeks. He hasn't been the same since that relief appearance. He's too valuable to this organization to risk further injury to him. Shut him down for a couple weeks or more and see what that does for him.
    Right the Pads did it with Peavy.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

the season is shot ... put him on the DL and let him rest.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the season is shot ... put him on the DL and let him rest.
    What??? We've got a pennant to win!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    ...in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    ...in 2011
    Not if we keep screwing around like this.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I wouldn't put him on the DL yet, but I would skip his next start on Sunday in Milwaukee. The Reds can make Sunday a bullpen day, since everyone should be available on the day before the All-Star break, and they can manipulate the rotation coming out of the break so that Harang wouldn't pitch until Monday, July 21 vs. San Diego. They could do something like this:

7/9 @ CHI -- Cueto
    7/10 @ CHI -- Arroyo
    7/11 @ MIL -- Fogg
    7/12 @ MIL -- Volquez
    7/13 @ MIL -- Bullpen (Affeldt?)
    7/14 ***All-Star Break***
    7/15 ***All-Star Break***
    7/16 ***All-Star Break***
    7/17 v. NY -- Cueto
    7/18 v. NY -- Arroyo
    7/19 v. NY -- Volquez (gets a couple of extra days after All-Star appearance)
    7/20 v. NY -- Fogg
    7/21 v. SD -- Harang

If Volquez doesn't pitch in the all-Star Game, then he can pitch the first game on July 17, and Cueto and Arroyo can be pushed back. If Harang still isn't ready by July 21, then place him on the disabled list retroactively.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I wouldn't put him on the DL yet, but I would skip his next start on Sunday in Milwaukee. The Reds can make Sunday a bullpen day, since everyone should be available on the day before the All-Star break, and they can manipulate the rotation coming out of the break so that Harang wouldn't pitch until Monday, July 21 vs. San Diego. They could do something like this:

7/9 @ CHI -- Cueto
    7/10 @ CHI -- Arroyo
    7/11 @ MIL -- Fogg
    7/12 @ MIL -- Volquez
    7/13 @ MIL -- Bullpen (Affeldt?)
    7/14 ***All-Star Break***
    7/15 ***All-Star Break***
    7/16 ***All-Star Break***
    7/17 v. NY -- Cueto
    7/18 v. NY -- Arroyo
    7/19 v. NY -- Volquez (gets a couple of extra days after All-Star appearance)
    7/20 v. NY -- Fogg
    7/21 v. SD -- Harang

If Volquez doesn't pitch in the all-Star Game, then he can pitch the first game on July 17, and Cueto and Arroyo can be pushed back. If Harang still isn't ready by July 21, then place him on the disabled list retroactively.
    Why not just put him on the DL and have an extra arm or two made available for spot starts and bullpen duty? It is only two more days without him. Give Bailey and/or Thompson a spot start.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

Nah, not this year. But 4th place is in sight!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Hurt or not hes not going to pitch good if all he has is his fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Why not just put him on the DL and have an extra arm or two made available for spot starts and bullpen duty? It is only two more days without him. Give Bailey and/or Thompson a spot start.
    Well, if Harang is ready to go sooner, he could make one of the starts against the Mets. But your idea is a good one, too. I don't want either Bailey or Thompson up right now, though. However, I am willing to take a look at Maloney. If not Maloney, then bring up Belisle--he is what he is, but he's a known quantity.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Send him to the 15 day DL. Bring up Maloney for a couple of starts (and tell him it's just for a couple of starts). Harang gets his rest, the Reds brass gets a look at a guy they are probably unsure about, and Maloney gets a small taste of the majors in a controlled setting. In the words of Michael Scott, win-win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Send him to the 15 day DL. Bring up Maloney for a couple of starts (and tell him it's just for a couple of starts). Harang gets his rest, the Reds brass gets a look at a guy they are probably unsure about, and Maloney gets a small taste of the majors in a controlled setting. In the words of Michael Scott, win-win-win.
    You don't need to put him on the dl at this point because for the next week, he is only schedule one start--as someone else said let the bullpen handle this game and then after the all star break tenatively schedule him to go in the 5th game--you can always put him on the dl retroactively if you need him to rest longer.

Turn Off Ads?