Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor From The OC

Rumor From The OC

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/m...17-better-lack
    ANAHEIM -- Gary Matthews Jr. has been around long enough to take trade rumors at this time of year with a grain of salt.

But this year, he controls the shaker.

Matthews' name has already come up in speculation about what deals the Angels might be able to make before the July 31 trade deadline. If the Angels are to acquire — hear it comes again — a "big bat" like the Colorado Rockies' Matt Holliday or the Cincinnati Reds' Adam Dunn, they would need to make room in their outfield and Matthews would be the most expendable of the Angels' current quartet.

Not so fast. Matthews has a full no-trade clause and gives no indication that he would waive it.

"I'm happy here," Matthews said. "This is rumor and talk and that's part of the job. I understand that.

"There is nothing better than waking up every morning and knowing I'm going to be playing in front of 40,000 cheering fans every night here, sitting in first place and with a chance to win a championship."

The opportunity to play center field on a daily basis — something Matthews had when he signed with the Angels before last season but lost with the arrival of Torii Hunter — would be small enticement for Matthews to leave. Even with Hunter's arrival, Matthews has started 77 of the Angels' first 87 games.

"Things could always be better in terms of the way I view my game and my daily goals," Matthews said. "But in terms of where I go to work and what I'm doing — I couldn't ask for better."

Though he has continually said the unsettling nature of his roving outfield position has nothing to do with it, Matthews' offensive production has been disappointing. He went into Saturday's game batting .239 with a .316 on-base percentage and has been demoted from his spot near the top of the lineup for most of the season's first half.

"I feel good right now," said Matthews, who is batting .196 (11 for 56) in his past 19 games. "The only thing I feel bad about is the start I got off to.

"I don't know what I hit in June (.299) but if I had gone into it hitting .240 or .250, I'd be sitting around .290 now. But that's not what happened and I can't bring it back. Those first two months (.220 through the end of May) were just garbage. That's just the facts. Numbers don't lie.

"What kind of takes the sting out of it for me is I can look myself in the mirror each day and know it wasn't for lack of preparation or lack of focus or lack of intensity."
    I'm sure this would be a move that Dusty Baker would love more than anything. Getting Matthews Jr. would probably be at the top of things Dusty would like. Sarge and Dusty are big buddies with Dusty even offering him a job before 2008.

Gary Matthews Jr. + Cash for Adam Dunn?

I would not, but it sounds about right to me. Throw in a Brandon Wood and/or Willy Aybar and I would listen.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rumor From The OC

3 times NO

Philly wants Arroyo and Affeldt as well. The D-backs could be a spot for Dunn as they are considering adding Barry Bonds and admit to having internal discussions about signing him. According to the article the "players" made that referral since Eric Byrnes is done for the season.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Is Matthews a defensive difference maker?

His offensive numbers aren't anything to get excited about aside from his 'roid years, but if he can perform offensively at career averages, does the defense make a trade viable?

I can't dismiss it out of hand.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Matthews is at best, slightly above average in CF. His declining OPS, currently hovering ~650, out to scare the ______ out of everyone.

I can buy that logic, he is going to be 34 later this year, time to start slowing down.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

This really isn't a rumor I think.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Jose Arredondo and Jeff Mathis for Dunn would work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jose Arredondo and Jeff Mathis for Dunn would work for me.
    The Angels can't trade Mathis because Napoli is hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    The Angels can't trade Mathis because Napoli is hurt.
    Then throw in a catcher--they can have the pick of the litter.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Then throw in a catcher--they can have the pick of the litter.
    We have no pick, just litter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Is Matthews a defensive difference maker?

His offensive numbers aren't anything to get excited about aside from his 'roid years, but if he can perform offensively at career averages, does the defense make a trade viable?

I can't dismiss it out of hand.
    Not near the value of what his contract calls for. It's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    We have no pick, just litter.
    I was hoping somebody would pick up on that!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Anything that would involve this team taking on Mathews Jr. and his insane contract should be a massive NO.

With this team, who knows?

A non HGH/steroid Matthews could be a massively expensive version of Chris Dickerson.

Turn Off Ads?