Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you could live anywhere in the continental US, where would you live?

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Re: If you could live anywhere in the continental US, where would you live?

Georgetown, KY, which is where I hope to teach/coach after taking retirement in TN in a few years. Georgetown is a scenic place and would allow me to see many more UK basketball games and Reds baseball games.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Of the places I've been, the only one I'd realistically consider moving to is Colorado Springs, CO. That is, taking into consideration family, kids, parents, money, jobs, cost of living, etc.
    This is one of the cities I was going to mention. I went there last year and it was gorgeous. I'd love to go back and I'd definitely consider living there.

I also enjoyed Portland, OR when I was there a couple of years ago. It's a wonderful city (the mass transit system is really good) and the people were all really great too. I didn't even mind their 'winter' weather which consisted of an ice storm that left maybe one inch of ice on the ground which is nothing when you grow up in Ohio where ice is a normal occurance in winter, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I'd reconsider my options depending on what stage of life I was in and the income level. If I were younger and single, with a good income, I'd move to Manhattan or Chicago in a heartbeat. As it stands I'm early-to-mid-30s with a wife and three kids. I would have chosen North Carolina, but the summers in Minnesota are just too fantastic to pass up. And falls in Michigan are pretty phenomenal as well. And I love those seasons, so I don't think I'd ever want to live without a good fall and a mild summer.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Why is no one mentioning Ohio?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

In a van, down by the river.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I'd like to live in/around the Smoky Mountain area.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Somewhere within 75 miles of Denver, preferably near a lake, below 7000 feet in the winter, and with a good amount of shade in the summer. Metro Boulder probably. Colorado Springs is more affordable and doesn't have as many good restaurants, but it's still quite nice.

Denver isn't a bad compromise, as one can easily get to those great spots, and can be surrounded by great professional sports year round.
    Stick to your guns.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I'm currently living in Northern Va and I think it's a horrible place to raise a family. Jobs are plentiful, but the general populace seems preoccupied, even obsessed with work, power, and the almighty dollar. Traffic is terrible, crime is rampant, and now property values are even taking a tumble. Although there are tons of people here, very few are even happy, much less friendly. I actually love my job...it's challenging, pays fairly well, the people are decent enough, and there's plenty of opportunity for growth. I work for a government contractor, and it has been on Fortune magazine's '100 Best Companies to Work For' list for the entire time I've been here, but I am on contract, so when the contract ends, it can be a little unnerving not knowing whether you'll have work in the near future.

The new job would be in Portland, OR as a Federal Government employee, so no more instability and no more travel. It seems to be a great place to raise a family but we'd be moving away from almost all of our extended family. I think the pace of life there is a little more to my liking and the nearby wilderness and mountains are a dream come true for me. Also, I'd be able to ride a bike into work, take public transit, get a motorcycle for commuting, or some combination of the three, all of which appeal to me. That piece would depend on what part of Portland we end up living in. I have a friend who lives in Sherwood who claims it's very nice, but I've only been in Portland for about 4 hours, 3 of them in an interview, so I have no firsthand knowledge. The pay is about the same as my current job, but the difference in cost of living might be like a raise. I have one more hurdle to cross (a certification test) before I think I'll get the written offer, but I'm not absolutely positively sold on the whole uprooting the family for a new job thing.
    I was born and raised in Sherwood and now live 8 miles south in Newberg. Lots of changes around these parts in 40+ years, but I'm sure you'd find it very laid back when compared to the DC area (not that I've ever been that far east...)

I'm sure you've heard stories about the rain, but (while it's true we celeberate every sun break from December 'til April) the nice thing about the weather is that it's mild, with very few extremes in temperature and humidity is not an issue. If you want to play in the snow you can drive east for a few hours, and if you like the beach (cold water, wear a wet suit when body surfing) it's the same drive time in the other direction (unless you're trying to get there on a Friday afternoon...)

If it weren't for all the Californians (like westofyou) moving up here en masse and clogging up the outdated, too-narrow freeway system, the place would be perfect (I keed, I keed) There's still enough of us native Oregonians around to assure you'll get a friendly welcome.
    Last edited by gm; 07-11-2008 at 12:56 AM.
    Never overlook the obvious

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    If it weren't for all the Californians (like westofyou) moving up here en masse and clogging up the outdated, too-narrow freeway system
    heh heh

If westofyou gets to be a Californian, does that mean I can be an Alaska native?

Damn, I coulda got into a better law school, had I known.
    Stick to your guns.

Not sure I'll ever move from Denver. Great city, almost never bored. Close to everything. Nightlife, good culinary, bar and club scene, outdoors, and 4 seasons. And of course, mountains! Good in both summer and winter. Close to Colorado springs! Whoever said evergreen was also right on. Great choice. Not sure I will ever leave this state, I'm a native.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Why is no one mentioning Ohio?
    "Friends don't let friends live in Ohio."

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I grew up in Ohio and still live there. I've also lived in Kentucky and Colorado. I've also seem this entire country over the last year, top to bottom and coast to coast. I've been in a lot of cities that have a lot to offer and a lot that I wouldn't care to ever go near again.

There are really only two things that would get me to move away from Cincinnati. Either a proximity to the ocean or mountains. There are parts of Texas I like, but with apologies to the Texans here, it's just too darn hot in the summer. I like parts of Wisconsin and Minnesota, but I don't think I'd take kindly to the winters. I lived in Colorado Springs for a few months in 2001, but I wasn't making that much money back then and we moved back to Cincinnati because of the cost of living.

With all that said, I guess I'm pretty happy where I am, when I get to see it. The only thing I want is a more rural setting with a few acres and a log home. Ohio suits me just fine as far as that goes. With my line of work, I get to see the mountains and the ocean quite a bit, and when I do west coast runs, sometimes both at the same time. As I expand my company, it would benefit me to be near the major freight lanes. The midwest is the place to be and Cincinnati is a prime location.

I don't know what the big beef is against Ohio except maybe that it's human nature to want what you don't have. When I see the scenery out west or see the ocean it's easy to say, "I wish we had this at home.", but after wandering through all those places, home is a darn good place to return to. When I was younger I longed to go somewhere "interesting" but now I take more comfort in what I know. If I can get about ten acres in the country about an hour or two from Cincinnati, that will suit me just fine. The mountains and the ocean aren't going anywhere, so I can always visit whenever I want.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    heh heh

If westofyou gets to be a Californian, does that mean I can be an Alaska native?
    Most "Californians" don't have long ties to the state (for obvious reasons) and a good percentage move north and put down roots (while causing the native Oregonian's property taxes to go through the roof...)

You'll have to forgive me, I grew up during the Tom McCall era "come to Oregon for a visit, but don't stick around...we want to keep our state green and under-populated"
    Never overlook the obvious

Playboy Mansion is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Playboy Mansion is the correct answer.
    Been there done that.

Oh, I thought you said Poorboy Mansion.

Turn Off Ads?