Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could live anywhere in the continental US, where would you live?

Re: If you could live anywhere in the continental US, where would you live?

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This seems like as good a place as any to bring this up. The wife and I have toyed with the idea of making a big move to California (kind of have to find jobs first though). So far, we've only looked at the area just north of San Diego, possibly Carlsbad or Encinitas.

Anyone here ever lived in that area and have an opinion?
    Bring money, lots of it and 2 cars.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Of the places I've been, the only one I'd realistically consider moving to is Colorado Springs, CO. That is, taking into consideration family, kids, parents, money, jobs, cost of living, etc.

But I've often said I'd like to have multiple lives to live so I could experiment with different places, domiciles, jobs, etc. etc. So I guess I'll just have to wait to see where I end up on the next turn of the karma wheel. Maybe I'll be a prairie dog in CO.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This seems like as good a place as any to bring this up. The wife and I have toyed with the idea of making a big move to California (kind of have to find jobs first though). So far, we've only looked at the area just north of San Diego, possibly Carlsbad or Encinitas.

Anyone here ever lived in that area and have an opinion?
    I lived in L.A. It was very busy and stressful for me. I'd recommend it only if someone had plenty of money to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bring money, lots of it and 2 cars.
    Yeah, I'm definitely leery of the sticker-shock factor. I have a college buddy who lives in Carlsbad so between him and teh intarweb, I'm getting some good info.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Of the places I've been, the only one I'd realistically consider moving to is Colorado Springs, CO. That is, taking into consideration family, kids, parents, money, jobs, cost of living, etc.
    I have lived in or near Colorado Springs for 15 years now. It's a nice place. The military brought me to this region originally and I've just never had a reason to leave.

Mayberry, North Carolina.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Strange all the people that said NC.

Curious as to the specifics of why...

(just got back from vacation and stayed a few days in Asheville. Loved it. Thats why I ask.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    Strange all the people that said NC.

Curious as to the specifics of why...

(just got back from vacation and stayed a few days in Asheville. Loved it. Thats why I ask.)
    My friends Andy and Barney speak highly of it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Year round weather is good, although it is sweltering here in Charlotte, right now. Slower pace of life, to a degree. I have found it to be a very friendly place and a good place for kids. Great youth league baseball, year round. Lots of great golf within driving distance. Our public school system, here in Union Co. is really good. The housing market is still as strong, here, as anywhere in the country.

Cincinnati for Reds baseball...

Los Angeles for the awesome weather and beautiful girls.

I absolutely love San Diego. If it weren't so far from both of our families, I'd want to move there in a heart beat.

As it is, I think Cincinnati is wonderful and am perfectly happy living here. Life long residents seem to have an inferiority complex about the place and don't realize how unique and comfortable our city is.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

I was born in Mayberry (Mount Airy) NC. Great area and place, I currently live in SWVA and love it. Of the places I've visited it would have to be either where I live now or out in Oklahoma somewhere.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    I was born in Mayberry (Mount Airy) NC. Great area and place, I currently live in SWVA and love it. Of the places I've visited it would have to be either where I live now or out in Oklahoma somewhere.
    I really wouldn't mind living were you are. I assume you are in Big Stone Gap,VA. I grew up just across the mountain in Kentucky. It's a great place. Laid back and not far from good places to go to in Tennessee. Mayberry or Mt. Airy is a great place too. I visited one time and it was great.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I'm currently living in Northern Va and I think it's a horrible place to raise a family. Jobs are plentiful, but the general populace seems preoccupied, even obsessed with work, power, and the almighty dollar. Traffic is terrible, crime is rampant, and now property values are even taking a tumble. Although there are tons of people here, very few are even happy, much less friendly. I actually love my job...it's challenging, pays fairly well, the people are decent enough, and there's plenty of opportunity for growth. I work for a government contractor, and it has been on Fortune magazine's '100 Best Companies to Work For' list for the entire time I've been here, but I am on contract, so when the contract ends, it can be a little unnerving not knowing whether you'll have work in the near future.

The new job would be in Portland, OR as a Federal Government employee, so no more instability and no more travel. It seems to be a great place to raise a family but we'd be moving away from almost all of our extended family. I think the pace of life there is a little more to my liking and the nearby wilderness and mountains are a dream come true for me. Also, I'd be able to ride a bike into work, take public transit, get a motorcycle for commuting, or some combination of the three, all of which appeal to me. That piece would depend on what part of Portland we end up living in. I have a friend who lives in Sherwood who claims it's very nice, but I've only been in Portland for about 4 hours, 3 of them in an interview, so I have no firsthand knowledge. The pay is about the same as my current job, but the difference in cost of living might be like a raise. I have one more hurdle to cross (a certification test) before I think I'll get the written offer, but I'm not absolutely positively sold on the whole uprooting the family for a new job thing.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

The Rogue River Valley, or

San Diego

Turn Off Ads?