Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you could live anywhere in the continental US, where would you live?

Re: If you could live anywhere in the continental US, where would you live?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    However its' not as awash in jobs as California, nor diverse cultures... sure it's changing but there is an old school vibe around here that screams lumber jack... not as much as there was 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    western NC ... somewhere in the hills near Asheville

Asheville is beautiful and a great vacation spot but I could not imagine living out there for the rest of my life. This one comes down to three places to me : Cincinnati, NYC, or DC. Odd combination perhaps but I love those 3 cities.

I'm living now where I've always wanted to live: in central Washington, DC. Right now, I can't imagine living anywhere else (although we have discussed Baltimore, but it's only about 30 miles north). Beautiful city, a culture that fits our tastes, great restaurants, plenty of outdoor activities, and sports teams so mind-numbingly awful that I can continue to root for the Ohio teams with a clear conscience. It also helps that I work in a field that, along with the federal government, makes up about 90% of the workforce here.

If we were forced to pack up and head somewhere besides the DC-Baltimore area, San Francisco would top my list, followed by Portland. Boston and Chicago would likely make the short list as well, but my wife despises cold weather and would never agree to it.

Beyond that, there just aren't that many places I am clamoring to live. I don't have a desire to return to Ohio, although I have a great many family members there. Outside of Chicago, the midwest bores me to tears. New York would drive me nuts, LA is too much of a concrete city for me, and just not that culturally interesting. The south is too hot and sticky, and a bit too "laid back" for my tastes. That said, I could probably make do in any of those areas.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    As someone who's considered living in San Diego and Portland, could you expand on why you like Portland so much better? I'm always interested in why people like or dislike certain places.

I lived in San Diego for a year and hated it. The weather was phenomenal and can't possibly be exaggerated. But there was nothing else I liked about it. But had I been born and raised there, I probably would have never left (like most people I know from there who never left). So I don't think it's a bad place to live as much as you have to be tolerant, or enjoy, the southern california culture, which is a heck of a lot different than the midwest. I'd move to Portland in a heartbeat. You couldn't pay me enough to move to SoCal. But that's just me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'd move back to the Pacific Northwest in a second if I could afford it.

... sure it's changing but there is an old school vibe around here that screams lumber jack... not as much as there was 5 years ago.
    Don't let him fool you. You can't move a muscle in Portland without bumping into a bicyclist, a pot-smoker, a musician, or a tree-hugger...and 90% of the outspoken ones are from out of state, or their parents are from out of state. The "new" Portlanders think they're the center of the universe and couldn't give a lick about anyone else from the rest of their state.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Don't let him fool you. You can't move a muscle in Portland without bumping into a bicyclist, a pot-smoker, a musician, or a tree-hugger...
    Yep it's dangerous out here, damn radicals and their bikes.

My wife's family is from the Pacific Northwest. She says it is kind of funny to her that places like Portland and Seattle give that part of the country a rep for being full of tofu eaters and tree huggers because her memories of Washington are of gun toting, right leaning survivalist types- builders of the dams, "Western Idahoans", as she calls them.

Speaking of Washington, I'd live in Ellensburg in a heartbeat.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    My wife's family is from the Pacific Northwest. She says it is kind of funny to her that places like Portland and Seattle give that part of the country a rep for being full of tofu eaters and tree huggers because her memories of Washington are of gun toting, right leaning survivalist types- builders of the dams, "Western Idahoans", as she calls them.

That's East of the Cascades. Where men are men, and cattle are nervous.

Speaking of Washington, I'd live in Ellensburg in a heartbeat.
    Portland is conservative in a lot of ways.. hey but don't ask me.. I lived in Berkeley in the 80's so I guess I'm one of those tree hugging, bike owning outspoken people who have an unwanted opinion about the city they live and work in.

Shame on me for that.

Yep it's dangerous out here, damn radicals and their bikes.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Well if they don't have proper reflectors I get a bit peeved... but running them over makes me feel a tad better.

Fayetteville is great if you happen to be Airborne, sell guns or used cars or are a stripper. NC is just like any state- you have your great places and your awful ones. But by and large I think the options there are far better than, say, the state I currently inhabit.
    My wife lived in Jacksonville from 5th grade through high school. Jacksonville, NC, that is. Camp Lejune and that's about it. It's Fayetteville with a beach.

Speaking of Fayetteville, my best friend's wife does some work with the Fayetteville PD. Her work stories pretty much trump any other work stories at a get together.

One of the latest head-scratchers is that Aiken, SC seems to be turning into a retirement mecca. I know a couple of different people from different parts of the country who have built / are building retirement homes in the area.

Aiken?

I grew up in Cincinnati, have lived in several other places in the country and traveled through much more, but don't think I would ever move from where I am now. My wife and I have discussed moving before, but it really wasn't going to happen it's just too us here in Sonoma county, if that makes since. The weather is year round nice; One maybe two weeks of 90+ weather in the summer (dry heat of course), and mild rainy winters shoot sometimes I wear shorts and flip flops on my afternoon walks. I think I turned on my heater once or twice last winter and I haven't used my AC in years. Very laid back atmosphere, good food, good beer, and good wine. Speaking of food and location we could head to the city in the morning for a Dim Sum breakfast then back up to Bodega bay for a sea food dinner. Also for the kids and adults if you are thinking of going back to school SRJC is an outstanding junior college and then the CSU system has a nice school about 10 miles south. I could see us moving when it comes to retirement it is quite expensive here, but if I moved it would have to be somewhere in the west either Oregon or Arizona. Don't think I could handle anywhere else, except maybe New England I took a business trip to New Hampshire a couple of years back and I really liked it, except for the humidity.

I don't mind So Cal too much, it's not my cup of tea so to speak, but it's nice to vacation or visit. I do have a couple of questions about previous comments though.
    LA is too much of a concrete city for me
    really? LA is a big city, but I don't think I would consider it a concrete city. I visited my brother in law a couple of years ago in West Covina, but with in a 20 minute drive we were riding our ATV's in the canyons. Next,
    you have to be tolerant, or enjoy, the southern California culture
    parts of southern California can seem plastic or the "huh huh dude" kind of atmosphere, but is it really that difficult to deal with? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    As someone who's considered living in San Diego and Portland, could you expand on why you like Portland so much better? I'm always interested in why people like or dislike certain places.
    Distinct, yet moderate seasons. June-September has to be the best weather in the US....temp in the 80's...no humidity...green all through. Winters are rainy...but still have decent temperature to golf, bike, etc.

Cost of living is a HUGE plus.

Traffic....not so much.

Culture...fantastic. Arts, music scene, Zoo.

2009 World Champion Portland Trailblazers

Food....wow! Most James Beard award winning chefs in the US. Crazy cool food scene, and most very reasonably priced. (A shout out to LePigeon for those who haven't tried it!)

Neighborhoods. Portland is made up of dozens of 'community based' neighborhoods that bring a very small town feel to different pockets in the city.

Low crime rates.

Fantastic public transportation. Fantastic.

Best airport in the US.

Sustainable mindset. People get it...not so much in the tree hugging way, but in the responsible lifestyle way.

Clean air. Lots of it.

Good people. Yes, lots of freaks, but overall...people pretty genuine.

Urban coolness. Very hip downtown scene.....Pearl, Northwest, Waterfront, Lloyd.

and.....

did I mention...the most breweries per capita in the US!!!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?