Turn Off Ads?

Thread: EXCEL question

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

EXCEL question

I have a spreadsheet with 7500+ rows of data. In one of the columns, it lists cities, but they repeat many times. Is there a way to highlight that particular column and determine how many DIFFERENT cities there are in the 7500 rows of data.

The spreadsheet is already sorted by that column (city) and I guess I could scroll down and hand count it but I know there is an easier way to do it but I can't remember.

Any help would be appreciated because eventually there will be nine spreadsheets totalling 65,000 rows and I don't need all that information.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: EXCEL question

Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Awesome. Thanks, Rick.

I combined three of the lists (23,000) rows and plugged in the formula. Although it timed out on me the first time (not responding), it eventually got it. It took nearly a minute for excel to figure it out, but it seems to have worked.

Google is definitely your friend when it comes to Excel questions/problem. I've found many a useful formula in my time cleaning data...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

This is just one more reason this place is great. Ask any question and the odds are someone here can and will say something helpful. Thanks RMR!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?