Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Insightful quote from Dusty last night...

Insightful quote from Dusty last night...

about why he sat Hairston. Instead, he starts Bruce in the leadoff slot who is struggling mightily. Dusty said...

"I hate to have him out at all," Baker said. "But, out of fairness, most everybody else has been out. He'll be in the game some time (Wednesday)."

Out of fairness!!! What is this freakin 5 year old tee-ball! Incredible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Insightful quote from Dusty last night...

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red View Post
    about why he sat Hairston. Instead, he starts Bruce in the leadoff slot who is struggling mightily. Dusty said...

"I hate to have him out at all," Baker said. "But, out of fairness, most everybody else has been out. He'll be in the game some time (Wednesday)."

Out of fairness!!! What is this freakin 5 year old tee-ball! Incredible.
    Is it possible he meant out of fairness to Hairston? He might have went to Dusty and said he needed a day off, or Dusty might have just sensed it.

It was a good time to sit him, against one of the toughest righties in the game. Everybody needs rest, he was just off the DL, and came back early. Makes sense to me.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Dusty has more players on the roster that need decent playing time than he has positions to play them in right now. I think last night was probably just Jerry's turn in a rotation of giving some guys a random night off each week. Jerry's back in the lineup today and Bruce is sitting this one out against the lefty Ted Lilly.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Hairston's bad night the other night might have had something to do with it. This being from the out of fairness to Hairston perspective. Maybe he just needed the night to get his head right, and get some needed rest for today's day game.

Boy, I see it differently. Yes, Hairston had a frustrating night two days ago but he hit the ball hard three times. He is by far the most effective leadoff hitter and Bruce has been mired in a slump.

On top of that if you're Dusty, you are playing to keep any hope alive right now in a critical game against the best team in baseball and you sit probably your hottest hitter and cite fairness as the reason. I know you can interpret what fairness means differently but I cannot agree with that move.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I guess I look at it this way: If your current best hitting players don't get the occasional rest during the season, they won't be your best hitters for very long because it's a long season and human beings (even baseball players) do get worn down without getting an occasional break. Dusty seems to be resting Edwin, Kepp, Jerry, and Bruce on some sort of schedule and hopefully that keeps them all fresh and getting enough at bats every week. Kepp wasn't hitting well for a bit and now he's coming out of his funk, Edwin and Bruce have done better recently, and Jerry is still hitting well too so he has to get all those guys at bats each week but he only has so many positions to play them on the field. I'm not opposed to players getting an occasional break as long as it's not one guy all the time. It seems to be working out all right so far today (see the game thread for a game update).
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

It's Dusty Baker's fault that baseball players that play every day need occasional days off.

I never understand a manager who sits his best players in the biggest series of the season.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I never understand a manager who sits his best players in the biggest series of the season.
    I quit asking questions after month 3 of Patterson batting leadoff and Griffey batting 3rd.

Unintentional sabotage is the only thing I can come up with to explain it.

hang him

Let me see if I got this straight: people are complaining because Dusty is starting Bruce over Harriston,Jr against a tough right handed pitcher? Things sure change.

Dusty has always been know to protect his players and cover for him. Maybe Dusty is just taking the heat for Hairston needing some rest or whatever other reason.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?