Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer is back starting Sunday!

Homer is back starting Sunday!

From Fay:

Dusty Baker said Homer Bailey will make Sunday's start.
    "They say he's throwing the ball good right now," Baker said. "His velocity is better. His command is better. I hope so. We're pulling for him."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer is back starting Sunday!

Good. He will never learn to pitch to big league hitters in AAA. Ket him take his lumps up here just as Bruce is doing. If you sent Jay back to AAA he would be a dominant force just as Homer is. The kids have to learn to play up here at some point, and we might as well let it be this year instead of when we are in a legitimate pennant race down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    Good. He will never learn to pitch to big league hitters in AAA. Ket him take his lumps up here just as Bruce is doing. If you sent Jay back to AAA he would be a dominant force just as Homer is. The kids have to learn to play up here at some point, and we might as well let it be this year instead of when we are in a legitimate pennant race down the road.
    Homer was never going to learn throwing 88mph fastballs, straight, right down the middle. If his velocity is back to the low to mid 90's, results should be different, and his secondary pitches more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Homer was never going to learn throwing 88mph fastballs, straight, right down the middle. If his velocity is back to the low to mid 90's, results should be different, and his secondary pitches more effective.
    Agreed. The one good thing about being sent down is that he may now realize he needs to listen to coaches and give maximum effort at all times. Despite the people around here who want to give up on him, I still think he can be a solid #2 or 3 starter for us.

lets hope he finally thinks he "learned something in AAA"...

This is a waste of time. The guy needs to be in the minor leagues

This kind of reminds me of the old Bengals burning out players before they were ready (obviously things have changed under Marvin). I would like to see Homer make a great MLB pitcher but if they keep bringing him up to get shelled before he is really ready I don't see that happening, not in Cincy any way.

ugh, i know the pickins are slim, but bailey showed last time, he doesn't have it. Daryl Thompson didn't pitch bad at all, and was shipped out after 3 starts, he shutout the yanks in his 1st start, and pitched pretty well against cleveland in the 2nd one although his line wouldn't show that. I wouldve been more likely to give him another shot.

We need a new pitching and hitting coach really.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    Agreed. The one good thing about being sent down is that he may now realize he needs to listen to coaches and give maximum effort at all times. Despite the people around here who want to give up on him, I still think he can be a solid #2 or 3 starter for us.
    I agree with your post by the way.

But I never wanted to give up on his ability. I did want to give up on his attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    There is no magical formula. There's no definitive answer for when a guy needs to be in the minors or in the majors.

I've seen several players say they learned much more on the job in a year at the big league level than they did for three years in the minors.

Sooner or later, you've just got to throw your guys out there if you have the patience and hope they take their lumps without it killing their confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post

Well, his velocity is better and the coaches say he worked on the things they asked him to at Louisville. Sometimes it doesn't come down to wins and losses, but whether or not he's learning anything.

And he draws CC Sabathia. Hey, Homer, think shutout.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Well, his velocity is better and the coaches say he worked on the things they asked him to at Louisville. Sometimes it doesn't come down to wins and losses, but whether or not he's learning anything.
    I'm not worried about his velocity 93-94 is enough if he can command it and throw quality off speed stuff to compliment it. Not only was his velocity down last time, but he wasn't commanding his pitches, and his off-speed stuff looked like a work in progress. I think he would be better off getting a feel for his pitches against guys who aren't going to park his hangers 10 rows deep instead of being hesistant to throw a pitch he might not have confidence in. Im still high on the guy I just think he is being rushed.

Winning the game on Sunday was not a factor in figuring out who to throw out there. Who would benefit the most from "one" start would have been it.

I can't disagree with the choice as I assume they plan on sending him back to AAA immediately, unless he gives them a solid reason not to do so.

Turn Off Ads?