Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Are the Cubs (becoming) the NL version of the Yankees/Red Sox?

Are the Cubs (becoming) the NL version of the Yankees/Red Sox?

Outside of the fact that they have 1 of the highest payrolls in baseball (on pace to be tops in the NL soon). They have signed big free agents or players to big contracts (Soriano, Zambrano, Fukodome etc). They also have obnoxious fans to boot!

Like the Yankees in the past, the Cubs farm system is pretty much depleted (though it appears their 2008 draft was pretty good). With acquiring Harden, it seems like their realistic window to compete is this year and 2009.

Are the Cubs the NL version of the Yanks/Red Sox? Arguments for or against?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are the Cubs (becoming) the NL version of the Yankees/Red Sox?

The Cubs are the NL version of the Red Sox pre 2004.

The Yankees are in a class by themselves. They have 26 World Championships. Many of the greatest players of all times were Yankees. I don't believe any franchise really deserves to be compared to them. It's a comparison that no one can win.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    The Yankees are in a class by themselves. They have 26 World Championships. Many of the greatest players of all times were Yankees. I don't believe any franchise really deserves to be compared to them. It's a comparison that no one can win.
    Maybe the Boston Celtics, but that's about it.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

The Cubs remain the current version of the Bad News Bears. I don't care if they win the division and make it to the playoffs ... something will happen to cost them dearly. And because their fans rank a small step above interstate traffic jams in terms of annoyance, I'll enjoy every second of it.

I dunno, a lot of "cursed" teams seem to be breaking through this past few years.
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Maybe the Boston Celtics, but that's about it.
    Or the Men's UCLA Hoops teams.

Imagine what kind of revenue the Cubs could generate if they played in a bigger park. Although I don't want to see Wrigley or Fenway replaced. Ever.

Turn Off Ads?