Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hurdle called Dusty about Volquez starting

Hurdle called Dusty about Volquez starting

Just heard on 700. Dusty told Hurdle Volquez can start or pitch whenever but a max of 1 inning, as he will only be on 2 days rest.

I'm sure Hurdle called the Giants, DBacks and all other teams who have an all star pitcher to see what they want - but it's still good to hear it from Dusty's mouth.

Good luck to Edinson!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Hurdle called Dusty about Volquez starting

Very good to hear this news. I would rather not see Volquez go more than one inning so if he's kept to just the one inning on Tuesday, I'll be thrilled no matter if he starts or comes in later. Go Voltron!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Anyone else hoping Josh Hamilton goes up against Volquez? That would be fun to watch.

If Dusty mandated a 1 IP limit, then if I were Clint Hurdle I would not start Volquez. Dusty had plenty of opportunity to shuffle things around a bit to clear Volquez but chose not to. The starter should go 2 or 3 IP.

So, with this in mind, what do you think of Dusty leaving Volquez out there for 114 pitches tonight?

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    So, with this in mind, what do you think of Dusty leaving Volquez out there for 114 pitches tonight?
    I think had he not gotten the last batter out, his night would have been over and a reliever would have come in. You could tell Dusty wanted Volquez to get the Brewers out in order but Volquez walked Counsell and that threw everything off. I think he would have come out had the last dude got a hit or walked.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I think Dusty was doing the right thing trying to win the game and who gives a crap about the All-Star game? Does anybody even watch that garbage anymore? I'll watch the home run derby and then the pregame stuff, but after that I turn it off. I will be thrilled if Volquez doesn't even pitch in the game. One inning will be fine, but I hope he doesn't start the game.

I'm fine with it. That means he won't get over-used in the ASG, which doesn't enamour me anyway. (Unless of course the Reds are in the Series, and would get HFA from an NL win)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    I think Dusty was doing the right thing trying to win the game and who gives a crap about the All-Star game? Does anybody even watch that garbage anymore? I'll watch the home run derby and then the pregame stuff, but after that I turn it off. I will be thrilled if Volquez doesn't even pitch in the game. One inning will be fine, but I hope he doesn't start the game.
    Exactly. We have taken 2 our of 3 against a tough team. On a roll of late. I could care less what EV does at the all-star game, as long as he doesnt throw more than 20 pitches.

I have no problem with Dusty tonight. I would have done the exact same thing. Get the Reds the win and Volquez. It was a great game and the Reds won. No complaints.

I hope he starts, and finishes the first inning on 9 pitches.

I think Dusty did the right thing as well. He knows he has Homer going today and he more than likely will need the bullpen for four innings so he was trying to get as many innings out of Volquez as he could. That way the guys in the bullpen would be well rested for today.

Turn Off Ads?